• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think about comic book stores who purposely overbook on varaints?

86 posts in this topic

I'm almost always siding with Richard.

I hope you know I'll be expecting larger discounts in the future for this.

Put the pinch on him for burritos, he has a source. (thumbs u

Unlimited variant burrito discounts for everyone (thumbs u

Ignore MrBedrock, he is an . But that is just my opinion.

You got screwed. They promised you something and didn't deliver. You entered into a transaction you never would have if not for their assurance you would get the variants. They are 100% in the wrong and trying to stick you with a restocking fee is douchebaggery at it's finest.

If you paid via credit card I would call the credit card company and get the charge reversed.

Thanks for the kind words.

A question from one to another...

So if you go into a store with a list of things to get, but they are out of one of the items on your list, you refuse to buy anything from them?

If you promised a buyer something and then didn't deliver would you then charge them 25% of their money for your mistake?

I hope not.

This guy promised to buy a bunch of comics. The retailer was unable to deliver one. So the buyer reneged on all. Do you conduct your business that way?

I hope not.

I sure do.

For example, I once purchased a complete run of a series off ebay. When it arrived two books were missing. The only reason I purchased the lot was because it was complete. The seller could not deliver the other two books so I sent the lot back and got refunded completely, shipping both ways.

So yes, I would not purchase a number of books simply because one or two issues were missing.

This situation really isn't any different. His whole order was predicated on getting the variants. Without the variants he would never have placed the order.

The right thing to do would be apologize and refund him his money. New customers are hard to come by and they have done everything in their power to chase him off. Not smart.

I have had nothing but awesome dealings with DCBS, I forget to add a issue and notice it only after it releases and guess what, they add it to the order and occasionaly I have received Variants FOR free. I am sure they are not perfect, but then again no one store is.

So this whole thing sounds like the whole story is not being told here.

I'm almost always siding with Richard.

I hope you know I'll be expecting larger discounts in the future for this.

Put the pinch on him for burritos, he has a source. (thumbs u

Unlimited variant burrito discounts for everyone (thumbs u

:whee:

Ignore MrBedrock, he is an . But that is just my opinion.

You got screwed. They promised you something and didn't deliver. You entered into a transaction you never would have if not for their assurance you would get the variants. They are 100% in the wrong and trying to stick you with a restocking fee is douchebaggery at it's finest.

If you paid via credit card I would call the credit card company and get the charge reversed.

Thanks for the kind words.

A question from one to another...

So if you go into a store with a list of things to get, but they are out of one of the items on your list, you refuse to buy anything from them?

If you promised a buyer something and then didn't deliver would you then charge them 25% of their money for your mistake?

I hope not.

This guy promised to buy a bunch of comics. The retailer was unable to deliver one. So the buyer reneged on all. Do you conduct your business that way?

I hope not.

I sure do.

For example, I once purchased a complete run of a series off ebay. When it arrived two books were missing. The only reason I purchased the lot was because it was complete. The seller could not deliver the other two books so I sent the lot back and got refunded completely, shipping both ways.

So yes, I would not purchase a number of books simply because one or two issues were missing.

This situation really isn't any different. His whole order was predicated on getting the variants. Without the variants he would never have placed the order.

The right thing to do would be apologize and refund him his money. New customers are hard to come by and they have done everything in their power to chase him off. Not smart.

I understand returning a complete set if it isn't complete. I'd do the same thing.

This was not a complete set. But since we don't know exactly what he ordered it is all speculation. I would guess that it was probably a bunch of different books that were scheduled for delivery in the same month. I would also guess that a majority of those books were not Walking Dead and therefore had nothing to do with the variant issue.

And, as he stated, the reason he placed the order was because there was no mention of any potential problem with fulfilling that particular variant issue. That was certainly the stores fault...though they probably thought it was a given considering we are talking about a variant.

Finally you are absolutely correct that customers are hard to come by. Unfortunately the publishers created an environment which made it impossible for this store to satisfy this customer's needs.

MrB, I would like to apologize to you.

I could have stated my position without the name calling in my first post. I saw a relatively low post count member airing what I thought was a legitimate complaint and then you come in calling him a whiner and my knee jerk reaction was to give you a little greif. Petty? Yeah. Am I better than that? Well... not today apparently.

Sincerely though, sorry about that.

I could have stated my position without the name calling in my first post. I saw a relatively low post count member airing what I thought was a legitimate complaint and then you come in calling him a whiner and my knee jerk reaction was to give you a little greif. Petty? Yeah. Am I better than that? Well... not today apparently.

Great post.

:applause:

Well you guys are right I am a whiner... there is no other reason to buy a varaint or comic for that reason. Now, this is just my opinion but, if I just wanted the comic for its story, I could just buy it second hand or read it online. Really outside of collecting what other reason do I really have to buy varaints. I just want what you want so I may can sell it, for example a high grade TWD 75 will if graded 9.8 will pay for most of my order if I sell it. I want what you want I want what the market wants for selling. Now, as far as reading I love these books:

Conan

Fear Agent

The Wheel of Time

Kick

The End League

It is us whiners who support your store, yes I want high grade books and yes as a reward for doing business with you I want the top varaints. Look I thank you for being honest and I have heard it before... Mile High comics kicked me off because I complained about the quality of their books. But, you have to understand there are tons of comic seller who love me. I am going to buy books and pay you for your books.

You may not agree but in my opinion, I have very little incentive to buy a comic just for a story, when I can buy it a week later for pennies on the dollar. I am just like you I want the hot comic books and I want them in good condition and everyone I know is like that. This store is just going to take the varaints and stick them on Ebay just like I would do. So, say what you want about me, but this is the industry we live in. I love comics, I love artwork and back in the day when comics was a buck I would buy them to read and never cared about condition. But, the industry has changed and so has the consumer. I am a whiner, I am a crybaby... I want what you want the hottest books in the best condition. Just because you own a comic book store does not give you the right to decide who gets what. I am not mad but I am just tired of the scene. I do not know anyone who buys comics for the love of reading... they by GNs. Now, I am saying this from a person who does not sell comics for a living, I am an average person. But, when you see a book like Chew or CPG going for $70 and $80 bucks ungraded anyone would have to say "hey that book just paid for my entire order". Guess how many times that has happened to me this year? 7 times already... I bought Chew #1 for $1.50 or Cursed Pirate Girl or KIck - how could anyone ignore it. If I buy books from you every month and I am a good customer, I want the varaints and if you can't get them then honestly what seperates your store from the other stores? I will tell you the store that got it for me for $19.99 and they told me in advance a strict limit of 1 per customer... Mailorder Comics now I am going to make sure they get all my business in the future. See, this is how you find out which comic book stores are worth your business any store can give you the regulars but which ones are going to go the extra mile for you.

For one, DBCS were at fault for promising to fulfill any amount of orders for the variants (not varaints) and failing to comply, and they have backed you into a corner by refusing to refund but only offering store credit.

You were at fault by cancelling your whole order, you were going to buy the other books anyway and that was just sour grapes.

If anything, this is the perfect example of a dysfunctional retailer/customer relationship.

An yes akanni, you are a whiner.

Quite often.

See?

For one, DBCS were at fault for promising to fulfill any amount of orders for the variants (not varaints) and failing to comply, and they have backed you into a corner by refusing to refund but only offering store credit.

You were at fault by cancelling your whole order, you were going to buy the other books anyway and that was just sour grapes.

If anything, this is the perfect example of a dysfunctional retailer/customer relationship.

Quite often.

See?

Shame on you, Gav, for not mentioning one of the classics (tsk)

Why is spraying your comics restoration? Protection is not restoration.

Quite often.

See?

Shame on you, Gavm for not mentioning one of the classics (tsk)

I feel like a blundering novice.

Quite often.

See?

You really don't have to feel like one. :slapfight:

Quite often.

See?

:cry:

Quite often.

See?

:cry:

:luhv:

[/url]

I believe varaints is correct.

Variants - alternative versions of a comic featuring a variation or entirely different cover.

Varaints - Orders of variant books that aint coming.

I believe varaints is correct.

Variants - alternative versions of a comic featuring a variation or entirely different cover.

Varaints - Orders of variant books that aint coming.

:roflmao:

I kind of like the OP, every thread he starts becomes very funny!

Quite often.

See?

I'll tell you what. For a guy with only 44 posts, that's a remarkably high sh!te-to-substance ratio. (worship)