• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page quality collecting objectives and making exceptions

31 posts in this topic

It's certainly their prerogative, but people that only collect "White" are really only collecting labels that say "White".

For me, setting such high standards for PQ only limits the potential to acquire a lot of great books.

If you set white pages as your standard to "limit" the temptations of buying and you like the uniformity and the implied quality of presentation -- then seeing OW on the label may end up disturbing you.

That is a great point. It would also act as kind of a financial screener so to speak in terms of potentially saving money and me not wanting or having to buy every slab in sight all at once. Rome was not built in a day, nor is a particular run of slabs that someone may want to put together.

Sounds like you should stick with the White pages. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and you will certainly be maintaining a high level of quality in the collection. In truth, inside the slabs, all of the whites may not be the same, but they won't be far off.

Sticking to a particular PQ definitley limits your pool (which can be both good and bad).

I can understand why people do this, but my experience has been that PQ designation is somewhat of a -shoot. Plenty of evidence on these boards that it is rather arbitrary. I had a book go from LT-OW to straight offwhite on a resub, so that basically ended any significance I put on PQ (although it was minor to begin with).

I like that PQ carries a premium as I can buy lesser PQ books for cheaper than a WP. QP is more important to me than PQ (although I wouldn't buy something with "Brittle pages").

Some collectors want the 'best' and they are now realizing PQ matters.

Comiclink has been pushing PQ for a long time now in their descriptions. To me the PQ says more about the preservation of the book than the grade. The structural integrity of books off the rack are random, however, the page quality is standard. Maintaining a straight off the rack PQ is not easy in a 50 year old book. It should be rewarded.

Interesting. I know I have looked at dozens of mid to low grade SA key slabs and can not recall any having "white pages" designation. Even majority of higher grade SA key slabs were pretty much at best Off White/White designation.

I wonder how unique "white pages" designation is for GA slabs in terms of driving up ultimate selling price for a particular slab, key or not :popcorn:

I just sold a JIM 83 6.0 with white pages, just looked at an FF 5 4.5 with white pages, there are definitely copies out there.

there is probably no detectable difference in ow/w and white (by 99% of the collecting community), especially on anything newer than 1960 or so (thumbs u

Exactly. I tend to but OW to WP's when it comes to SA stuff because I love to crack out the books and enjoy them but when it comes to rare GA I'll buy just about anything if its a book I really want.

I think CGC has been very generous with page quality recently. Many of their "white" designation include books that have paper quality that vary from OW to W from my experience after I did crack many of them. The old labels were more accurate with paper quality IMHO.

In other words, a label that says "White pages" doesn't mean the book has white pages by Overstreet standards, unless it is an old label.

My picture frames have to be white, unless they are a pedigree. My Timelys can be off white at worse. I'll never stray again no matter what the savings. I had a C-OW page Timely in my collection and it bugged the hell out of me to the Nth degree. :sorry:

Jim

What do you mean had?

:sumo:

I made a trade and I told you about it at the time :baiting:

JJ

Some collectors want the 'best' and they are now realizing PQ matters.

Comiclink has been pushing PQ for a long time now in their descriptions. To me the PQ says more about the preservation of the book than the grade. The structural integrity of books off the rack are random, however, the page quality is standard. Maintaining a straight off the rack PQ is not easy in a 50 year old book. It should be rewarded.

Interesting. I know I have looked at dozens of mid to low grade SA key slabs and can not recall any having "white pages" designation. Even majority of higher grade SA key slabs were pretty much at best Off White/White designation.

I wonder how unique "white pages" designation is for GA slabs in terms of driving up ultimate selling price for a particular slab, key or not :popcorn:

I just sold a JIM 83 6.0 with white pages, just looked at an FF 5 4.5 with white pages, there are definitely copies out there.

They definitely exist but they are much harder to find. Some of my most precious

SA books are not necessarily uber grades but have seldom seen White pages.

These 3 books were all from the same collection, cool Canadian air, not just White but Bone White.

JLA 3 7.5 White. Black cover with White pages :cloud9:

Brave & Bold 28 7.5 White .

X-Men 2 8.5 White .

When the book has White pages the freshness can usually be seen on the covers.

Front cover colors are generally brighter and the Back Cover is generally White also.

Page quality? Bah. Page COUNT is what's important! (Well, no brittle books, but otherwise anything goes)

50's and up, I want a complete book. GA anything-but-superhero ditto.

GA hero books I'll settle for near-complete. For instance, my Superman 2 is missing the last page, an ad page. Anyone got a lowgrade copy or first fold available? Ditto my Subby 5, hope to find that elusive CF one day.