• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 70's books...

65 posts in this topic

Since this was such a smash success in Copper, let's try it in Bronze.

GRADE ASIDE, what are the rarest books that exist from the 1970's?

I'll start:

Marvel Comics Super Special #11-13 S&N with foil stamp, limited to 25

Cancelled Comic Cavalcade (35 genuine copies)

Vampirella Special #1 Hardcover

Gothic Romances #1

Ok...GO!

I win.

Supergear. In 30 years, I know of 3. Al Stoltz has two, and I had one, which I traded to Ian Levine a couple of years ago. Without a doubt the rarest of all "mainstream" hero books.

I win.

Supergear. In 30 years, I know of 3. Al Stoltz has two, and I had one, which I traded to Ian Levine a couple of years ago. Without a doubt the rarest of all "mainstream" hero books.

Well, I'll concur with you, if I find two more All Detergent ASM 184s with stickers.

Of course, I've only been looking for 6 years. hm

Oh, forgot about this one.

PowBiffPops_Cover_Small.JPG

It was published in a print run of 250, sold for $10 a pop at that year's Boston Pops opening concert, and all copies not sold that night were destroyed, as part of the agreement with Marvel and DC.

Collectors take note: all copies not sold... were burned! Possibly six known copies exist (Indianapolis Spidey completist collector Todd Adkins has one. He estimates there are between 7-10 existing copies.)

I win.

This post is worthless without pics.

I know there are probably more like 10+ copies around, but I nominate Iron Fist 14 $.35 variant, as it's both rare and legitimately "key." Other $.35 cent variants might be rarer, but this is "key."

Likewise, the Scooby Doo # 1 price variant has been mentioned by many, along with the Whitman variants (SuperGoof, etc.).

I know there are probably more like 10+ copies around, but I nominate Iron Fist 14 $.35 variant, as it's both rare and legitimately "key." Other $.35 cent variants might be rarer, but this is "key."

Likewise, the Scooby Doo # 1 price variant has been mentioned by many, along with the Whitman variants (SuperGoof, etc.).

Wait, when did the discussion shift to a book being a "key"?

Rarest and Hardest to Find

So, IF 14 .35 variant does not belong in the discussion, IMHO. Too many copies floating around.

I win.

This has always bugged me, maybe you can answer it. Was Supergear licensed? If it was, it is indeed pretty cool that an official DC product is so rare. If it is not, what's the big deal? How is it any different from some guy in a basement printing off some Superman stuff and calling it super rare 30 years from now?

Since this was such a smash success in Copper, let's try it in Bronze.

GRADE ASIDE, what are the rarest books that exist from the 1970's?

I'll start:

Marvel Comics Super Special #11-13 S&N with foil stamp, limited to 25

Cancelled Comic Cavalcade (35 genuine copies)

Vampirella Special #1 Hardcover

Gothic Romances #1

Ok...GO!

I have a Gothic Romances 1. It took me awhile to find, but I have seen at least half a dozen copies for sale in the last 3-4 years. Gothic Tales of Love, published by Curtis, are much tougher. The third issue of that title was believed to not exist and was not listed in Overstreet, but several copies have surfaced including a few owned by board members. Curtis, being a Marvel imprint, also makes that three issue run highly collectible for Marvel completists.

The Spirit Special hardcover (if there is one, can't recall if it was only soft), and the softcover to a lesser degree, are also extremely hard to find. I am not sure I have ever even seen the HC version, though I seem to remember Greggy posting one.

Warren Magazine's The House of Horror 1-shot is also VERY hard to find. I believe 400 copies were printed for copyright purposes. I have only seen a bare handful creep up for sale in the last few years. I don't own one (yet), but here is an image.

horror.gif

I win.

This has always bugged me, maybe you can answer it. Was Supergear licensed? If it was, it is indeed pretty cool that an official DC product is so rare. If it is not, what's the big deal? How is it any different from some guy in a basement printing off some Superman stuff and calling it super rare 30 years from now?

Ian doesn't think so, I do, based on the copyright indicia on the book (of course my scans are gone), which says it is copyrighted by NPP. VERY odd bok.

The "key" doesn't matter. There are MANY more Iron Fist 14 variants than Supergear 1, or Pow Biff Pops, or the Spiderman 184 with sticker, etc. etc. etc.

I win.

Ian doesn't think so, I do, based on the copyright indicia on the book (of course my scans are gone), which says it is copyrighted by NPP. VERY odd bok.

Interesting. Definitely a weird curiosity either way, though more by reputation in the community if it turns out to be unlicensed. Did you get your old copy through that Ebay auction? Thats the only one I have ever seen for sale.

I win.

Interesting. Definitely a weird curiosity either way, though more by reputation in the community if it turns out to be unlicensed. Did you get your old copy through that Ebay auction? Thats the only one I have ever seen for sale.

The guy found me through some posts on a message board advertising it, and I said great, I'll buy it. He was leery for some reason (whatever), so put it on eBay with a BIN that I then hit. I guess the 8% bite he took from eBay was worth it to him for peace of mind, or something. Whatever.

I win.

hm

You know, you've given me a lot to think about....

(firing up the basement press.....)

I win.

Ian had posted this pic on the boards

65259.jpg