• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don Heck! Comic Artist!!!

10 posts in this topic

What do you guy's think of Don Heck's art in the Silver Age? I liked his art when I was a kid, He did go down later ,because of personal problems .But I liked the way he drew women "Black Widow, Wanda,etc." But what I really liked was his Avengers run ,his Iron Man run wasn't bad either! His Inking on Kirby I thought was great IMO!!!!! I just thought he never got the credit that was due to him! What do you guy's think???

I liked his pre-code stuff, especially the work he did for Comic Media (Horrific, Weird Terror). Those covers he did were tremendous, and are (obviously) sought after.

I thought the work he did for Marvel in the 1960s suffered in comparison to Kirby, but to be honest it was unambitious, albeit competent art. I liked his Avengers work, but a lot of it was drab. Some of his covers were great (Avengers 23, 25) while others looked like he just wasn't trying (27, 28,29, etc.) All in all he was Marvel's second string House artist until Sal Buscema made that role his own (I liked Sal's S.A. and B.A. work, though).

His art was a bit better than George Tuska's S.A. work, to be fair. And what would Marvel have done without him?

I am a very big fan of Don Heck. Edgy, dynamic. I think he is vastly underappreciated. Some of his Avengers covers are classics. Great composition. Bold. What can I say. I like his work alot.