• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tec 425-436 values in new OSPG - Mistake?

14 posts in this topic

I was going through and comparing the new guide values for my Batman books to the previous guide and noticed that NM- value for Tec 425-436 jumped from $32 to $60.

I've got to believe this is a mistake but what do the rest of you think?

I was going through and comparing the new guide values for my Batman books to the previous guide and noticed that NM- value for Tec 425-436 jumped from $32 to $60.

I've got to believe this is a mistake but what do the rest of you think?

Not a mistake at all. Extremely high demand for all 70s Batbooks.

What do you guys think about some of the Guide prices for the Byrne X-books.

I was shocked at the NM- guide for #143 (don't have it with me, but it was 40-60 range). Is anyone getting these numbers for that book?

I was pulling this book out of $2 boxes a few years back. I gave some away with purchases on baord sales a few years back. I think I still have a few.

Oh, it's just a number on 143. And now that JC has decreed that it might be the end of the BA, it's sure to go up (not that those end-of-Byrne run X-Men weren't highly stockp;iled/speculated at the time...nah, never) Old-timey dealers have a long box of this issue and 50% off $50 on sale feels better than 50% off $25. I haven't seen that issue in $2 boxes in NM. In VG, yes, heck, in the dollar box sometimes.

What do you guys think about some of the Guide prices for the Byrne X-books.

I was shocked at the NM- guide for #143 (don't have it with me, but it was 40-60 range). Is anyone getting these numbers for that book?

I was pulling this book out of $2 boxes a few years back. I gave some away with purchases on baord sales a few years back. I think I still have a few.

The prices for Byrne X-Men are coo coo bananas. :screwy: When 9.8s are selling for less than $100, 9.2s certainly aren't worth $50+.

$10-$15, maybe.

$10-$15, maybe

That's what I was thinking. I haven't picked up the guide in a few years. I was expecting to see something something in the $12-15 range. When I looked it up, I thought "when did I miss that memo".

I haven't seen that issue in $2 boxes in NM. In VG, yes, heck, in the dollar box sometimes.

This was a few (4-5?) years ago at a Tysons show, and I was surprised to find them there as well. But, they all were definitely VF/NM or better copies.

I think I found some of the Alan Moore Superman books in that same box as well.

$10-$15, maybe

That's what I was thinking. I haven't picked up the guide in a few years. I was expecting to see something something in the $12-15 range. When I looked it up, I thought "when did I miss that memo".

It is $35 in my 2005 OPG I keep in the office.

I wonder if it was even as low as $12-$15 in the 1995 guide.

These books have been expensive in guide for a long time.

But it's a silly price considering it is the same as or more than most of the issues in the 120s and 130s, which are much more sought after and much better issues and were not all speculated on in as vast quantities as Byrne's last issue. "last" Byrne issue, being a krappy one with a dopey kitty pryde story, is a dumb one to make expensive.

With that said, I'd buy a long box of sharp copies for $2 each if they were available.

I haven't seen that issue in $2 boxes in NM. In VG, yes, heck, in the dollar box sometimes.

This was a few (4-5?) years ago at a Tysons show, and I was surprised to find them there as well. But, they all were definitely VF/NM or better copies.

I think I found some of the Alan Moore Superman books in that same box as well.

well, i dunno why a dealer or three unloading books they may have in quantity on the cheap would have to do with the guide, which consists of numbers handed down to Bob Overstreet by G-D (to be ignored by everyone except when it suits them). there are always inefficiencies in the market. i dunno how many books i got out of $1-$2 boxes at shows I have sold on these very fora to y'all bargain hunters for $10-$20, which is usually half guide or thereabouts. sometimes you get lucky and just run into a guy who wants to unload stuff. most of us have these stories. i bet you could get plenty more than $2 for them here even...though not $35.

with that said, yeah, nobody is paying $35 for that. maybe in a slab 5 years ago.

The prices for Byrne X-Men are coo coo bananas. When 9.8s are selling for less than $100, 9.2s certainly aren't worth $50+.

$10-$15, maybe.

------------------

outside of 143, i think the rest of the Byrne run does pretty well relative to OPG in terms of actual sales. at least in the live setting. in nice shape they always sell out of my LCSes (and prior LCSes) in due time when given a 20-30% or so discount off OPG in all grades 9.2 and below. ebay may be a different story. but how many books from that era sell decently at 75% of OPG in 9.2 or below?

The prices for Byrne X-Men are coo coo bananas. When 9.8s are selling for less than $100, 9.2s certainly aren't worth $50+.

$10-$15, maybe.

------------------

outside of 143, i think the rest of the Byrne run does pretty well relative to OPG in terms of actual sales. at least in the live setting. in nice shape they always sell out of my LCSes (and prior LCSes) in due time when given a 20-30% or so discount off OPG in all grades 9.2 and below. ebay may be a different story. but how many books from that era sell decently at 75% of OPG in 9.2 or below?

See these?

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

I bought them all, every one of them, for 20-40% of then current OPG over the last decade...4.0s to 9.8s, with the average being 9.0.

After issue #120-ish, they are the most common books of that era that exist.

I stupidly sold, in 2001 or so, what was a dead 9.8 #140 for a whole $20. Guide at the time was around $50. Stupid, stupid, stupid. 9.8 all day long, outside outside chance at a 9.9. And no, I'm not kidding.

The highest grade books I've ever bought were from a run of X-Men 108-143 at the Tysons show about eight years ago. Never opened store backstock. Paid $600 for the run. The 134 would have been a 9.9 without hesitation. The book had never seen the light of day. Went directly from a box into another box.

When I was 15 and 16, we were buying 20-50 copies of X-Men at a pop, as even then it was printing money. Those books will be around in high grade forever.

$10-$15, maybe.

------------------

See these?

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

I bought them all, every one of them, for 20-40% of then current OPG over the last decade...4.0s to 9.8s, with the average being 9.0.

After issue #120-ish, they are the most common books of that era that exist.

I stupidly sold, in 2001 or so, what was a dead 9.8 #140 for a whole $20. Guide at the time was around $50. Stupid, stupid, stupid. 9.8 all day long, outside outside chance at a 9.9. And no, I'm not kidding.

I'm not saying what you can get stuff for during the hunt. Heck, in 2005 I picked up a sweet earlier Byrne X-Men for $5 at a local show and someone here bought it for $25. But OPG doesn't really care what you can get something for through shows finding the most deperate dealer there or tossing out 1500 ebay bids a day and winning 10% of them. fact is, at a store with a decent business and decent clientelle these books actually sell for some reasonable % of guide...other than 143 I guess, which can't be said for most stuff printed from 1977-1981. i've never know a store owner who didn't consider these sure thing eventual sells at a decentish price.