• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Make offer

78 posts in this topic

hm

I remember asking how much I should overprice my Batman #608 RRP on my website to use it as 'advertising' as I didn't really want to sell it, and I got shot to mess.

Nice to see that blatant overpricing (and the outside shot that some eedjit would actually hit the BIN and get royally screwed) is now acceptable.

Thanks my man

If you are a Plas collector you will appreciate this and prob already have one. Its my newest CLINK win and I'm always looking for an excuse to show it off. :acclaim:

Plas33.jpg

IMO if a book is worth real cash then put it up on ebay starting at .99 & see what happens... The book will go for what its really worth

That only works for mega keys.

I can give you countless examples of books that sold for less than I would have paid, because I can't be everywhere at once. And I'm certainly not the only one.

and I got shot to mess. .

Wasn't me.

:)

No, no it wasn't. I did actually see what was wrong with that kind of 'advertising' though. You live and learn.

IMO if a book is worth real cash then put it up on ebay starting at .99 & see what happens... The book will go for what its really worth

I can give you countless examples of books that sold for less than I would have paid, because I can't be everywhere at once. And I'm certainly not the only one.

Ditto. Every day books that could have sold for $10-$20+ in a different format wind up going for 99 cents or $1.49 or whatever. You need 2 to tango in terms of getting an auction price up and if that second person doesn't show up, forgets to put a bid in, doesn't have snipe software (me), etc., you, as the seller, are skrewed.

How many times do we see someone here with a "look what I won on ebay" and how many times do we say/think to ourselves --- criminey, i would have paid more. but honestly, i can't spend time on ebay searching for good auctions, i need to waste it here!

hm

I remember asking how much I should overprice my Batman #608 RRP on my website to use it as 'advertising' as I didn't really want to sell it, and I got shot to mess.

Nice to see that blatant overpricing (and the outside shot that some eedjit would actually hit the BIN and get royally screwed) is now acceptable.

oh come on, pricing a slabbed relatively hard (based on the fact that no others are on ebay, metropolis doesn't have a copy, harley doesn't and four color doesn't..) to find second in the census GA book up at 2X OPG isn't like putting the Batman up at $225K.

Wasn't me.

No, no it wasn't. I did actually see what was wrong with that kind of 'advertising' though. You live and learn.

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Buyers on eBay are adults (they're required to be by eBay's TOS), and should know what they're doing. There are all sorts of factors which influence a buyer to buy, very few of which sellers are privy to. It's no more my responsibility to make sure they don't "get screwed" than it is my responsibility to make sure they "don't get screaming deals."

(thumbs u

Wasn't me.

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Buyers on eBay are adults (they're required to be by eBay's TOS), and should know what they're doing. There are all sorts of factors which influence a buyer to buy, very few of which sellers are privy to. It's no more my responsibility to make sure they don't "get screwed" than it is my responsibility to make sure they "don't get screaming deals."

(thumbs u

Funny that you should play the 'adult' card....., :think:

Wasn't me.

(thumbs u

Why's that, oh arrogant and dismissive homphobe...?

Wasn't me.

(thumbs u

bah!

Ditto. Every day books that could have sold for $10-$20+ in a different format wind up going for 99 cents or $1.49 or whatever. You need 2 to tango in terms of getting an auction price up and if that second person doesn't show up, forgets to put a bid in, doesn't have snipe software (me), etc., you, as the seller, are skrewed.

How many times do we see someone here with a "look what I won on ebay" and how many times do we say/think to ourselves --- criminey, i would have paid more. but honestly, i can't spend time on ebay searching for good auctions, i need to waste it here!

Recently when I still had 'good' books and was liquidating them, I put one key in each auction, and started all of them at .99. In the key auction, I asked bidders to check out my other auctions.

It worked well. In my most recent round that had a Hulk #181 starting at $.99, I had almost 100% sell-through on everything, most of which was utter drek. Everything that sold went for above GPA, including the #181. It goes to show that if you chum the waters, bidders will go into a frenzy...you just have to have some good chum to start with. Having a key in your auctions is, well, key. They don't even have to be really good keys either, since you're starting them off @ $.99. I've used a mid-grade GL 76, a VF IF #14, a F Hos #92 as bait...anything that you think people will search for regularly, they'll bite at 99 cents, and usually keep bidding long after they would have stopped if it were a reserve auction. They'll also check out what else you have, which leads to more bids.

However, without a key in your auctions, they will most likely go unnoticed, which leads to the disappointing results mentioned above. You need to do something to get eyes on what you're selling, and putting a key in the mix always works (for me).

Wasn't me.

(thumbs u

bah!

:acclaim:

ZZZING!

Recently when I still had 'good' books and was liquidating them, I put one key in each auction, and started all of them at .99. In the key auction, I asked bidders to check out my other auctions.

It worked well. In my most recent round that had a Hulk #181 starting at $.99, I had almost 100% sell-through on everything, most of which was utter drek. Everything that sold went for above GPA, including the #181. It goes to show that if you chum the waters, bidders will go into a frenzy...you just have to have some good chum to start with. Having a key in your auctions is, well, key. They don't even have to be really good keys either, since you're starting them off @ $.99. I've used a mid-grade GL 76, a VF IF #14, a F Hos #92 as bait...anything that you think people will search for regularly, they'll bite at 99 cents, and usually keep bidding long after they would have stopped if it were a reserve auction. They'll also check out what else you have, which leads to more bids.

However, without a key in your auctions, they will most likely go unnoticed, which leads to the disappointing results mentioned above. You need to do something to get eyes on what you're selling, and putting a key in the mix always works (for me).

Great advice :applause:

As an aside, I know of one seller who deals in (mainly) mid-grade silver and bronze. This dealer has runs of stuff, but paces the auctions so that prospective buyers have a chance to "recharge the wallets" between purchases.

So while there may be a run of Strange Adventures 205-216, only the 205 will be be available this auction, the 206 the next and so on. Other runs are similarly dispersed and this results in the seller being bookmarked and visited on a regular basis and thus many more eyes on the product.

hm

oh come on, pricing a slabbed relatively hard (based on the fact that no others are on ebay, metropolis doesn't have a copy, harley doesn't and four color doesn't..) to find second in the census GA book up at 2X OPG isn't like putting the Batman up at $225K.

And I was only thinking $700, obviously I should revise my pricing hm

Finally I have a use for the 7 long boxes of mid-grade copies of GL 76, Hulk 181, HOS 92 and IF 14 I have sitting in the corner of my garage! now maybe i can get more than 99 cents for my "M" copy of Rom 1!

But yeah, for whatever reason, that usually does help. Are/were you talking slabs?