• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 50 shenanigans on Pedigree?

529 posts in this topic

If Attila the Hun sold comics, he'd get no grief as long as he had something for sale at the price someone wanted to pay.

Collectors are like crack hos. As long as they get their crack, they don't care where they get it from.

The ends justify the means.

Its attitudes like this that cause all the problems to begin with....

The ends justify the means.

That's why nobody trusts anybody these days. It is just a sad world we live in.

People should just treat others the way they would like to be treated themselves.

Unfortunately the moral focus of our society has changed with the progressive movement.

30 years ago, if someone got screwed in a verbal agreement, the screw-er was damned for going back on his word.

Now, if someone gets screwed in a verbal agreement, the screw-ee gets damned because he was too stupid to get it in writing. Even if he did, depending on which judge hears the case, the screw-er can still walk away without a scratch.

And if the devil himself is selling comic books, he'll have a line of folks waiting to buy them.

Progressive Movement, these are 2 words that should be on the Spoon list. 2 of the most offensive words in the english language.

Progressive Movement, these are 2 words that should be on the Spoon list. 2 of the most offensive words in the english language.

You mean like "*spoon* rock" or "bowel *spoon*"?

You are a funny guy, I think I like you Mr. Bedrock.

Good catch Diggler....

Your a funny guy, I think I like you Mr. Bedrock.

You're

You're

Good catch , I think I shall put you on my Do not kill list as well.........

You're

Good catch , I think I shall put you on my Do not kill list as well.........

(thumbs u

I am surprised you would opine such drivel without at least having read the court's decison on appeal. meh

What, am I writing a newspaper article here that I failed to research entirely? What are you referring to?

I have a bachelors degree in Communications, I would be willing to bet that my reading skills far exceed yours my friend.

[/color]

WOW, a bachelor's degree....Bet again and i'm not your friend.

Well at least I told the truth about myself. I could have done like many others do in this forum and lied. I could have said I had multiple masters degrees and was an astronaut for NASA. I know a bachelor's degree is nothing more than a piece of paper that says I completed so many years sitting in a class room, Big deal right........

I don't pride myself on what degrees I have or what cars I drive, but only on the way I live my life and how I treat the people around me. Because in the end fancy cars and higher education don't mean a damn thing.

I said "friend" because I thought I would give you the benefit of the doubt. Just because we disagree on this matter doesn't mean I have any ill will toward you.

But hey if you aren't my friend then no skin off my .

I back this post. (thumbs u

You are a funny guy, I think I like you Mr. Bedrock.

Approval and acceptance, two things I crave.

Frankly I'd feel like I got what I deserved. Are you even remotely aware of what he did? The seriousness of it? The disbarment is a HUGE ethical issue. HUGE. Ask the people's whose lives he ruined and completely disrupted how they felt. 48 counts. Please don't dismiss disbarment like it was a retail theft when he was 13.

Where did you see details of the lives he ruined and completely disrupted?

Frankly I'd feel like I got what I deserved. Are you even remotely aware of what he did? The seriousness of it? The disbarment is a HUGE ethical issue. HUGE. Ask the people's whose lives he ruined and completely disrupted how they felt. 48 counts. Please don't dismiss disbarment like it was a retail theft when he was 13.

Perhaps you're having difficulty with the link?

Perhaps you're having difficulty with the link?

I've read that four times...it's a very high level summary and lacks details. The only compelling detail in it is this:

"In his report, the referee set forth his findings of fact and conclusions of law, and agreed with the Committee that disbarment was appropriate, citing the intentional conversion of funds of an elderly client to whom settlement proceeds were finally disbursed after almost two years and only [*4] after the client's niece threatened to report respondent to the "bar association"; a pattern of misappropriating escrow funds of 22 other clients; multiple instances of commingling personal funds with client funds; and lack of mitigation."

But even that's high level and provides little detail.

I have a great amateur interest in the law. One thing I don't understand about the court system is the belief that a jury of one's peers leads to justice. I say this because the court system is based upon the idea that you're innocent until proven guilty, but my experience tells me that the vast majority of people think in the opposite direction--people are guilty unless otherwise proven innocent. There are enough lawyers I respect (FoolKiller and EsquireComics included) to believe I'm missing something fundamental about trial jury...but when you see people pull out the torches and pitchforks whenever a story hits the press--or gets posted in forums like this--the idea that people predominantly jump to conclusion is inescapable. When I outed comic-keys/Dupcak on these boards, it was something I NEVER would have done if I hadn't already known him personally for over a year (via dozens of emails), heard of his actions for almost a year before I posted what I knew, and talked to more than ten dealers asking for information about his past and got more than just circumstantial evidence. I treat people's reputation--and their right to be assumed innocent--with absolute and unconditional respect.

So that's why I'm asking questions here. Don't assume it's in a biased attempt to defend--I'm in fact-gathering mode in an impartial attempt to come to an informed opinion. I know little about disbarment and am trying to learn more. I first read the article you linked to back in the last Pedigree fraud thread, and wondered at that time why he wasn't brought up on criminal charges. The first time I looked it up, I used Wikipedia. I did that again yesterday. Here's the Wikipedia overview of disbarment:

Overview

Generally disbarment is imposed as a sanction for conduct indicating that an attorney is not fit to practice law, willfully disregarding the interests of a client, or engaging in fraud which impedes the administration of justice. In addition, any lawyer who is convicted of a felony is automatically disbarred in most jurisdictions, a policy that, although opposed by the American Bar Association, has been described as a convicted felon's just desserts.

In the United States legal system, disbarment is specific to regions; one can be disbarred from some courts, while still being a member of the bar in another jurisdiction. However, under the American Bar Association's Model Rules of Professional Conduct, which have been adopted in most states, disbarment in one state or court is grounds for disbarment in a jurisdiction which has adopted the Model Rules.

Disbarment is quite rare.[citation needed] Instead, lawyers are usually sanctioned by their own clients through civil malpractice proceedings, or via fine, censure, suspension, or other punishments from the disciplinary boards. To be disbarred is considered a great embarrassment and shame, even if one no longer wishes to pursue a career in the law; it is akin, in effect, to a dishonorable discharge in a military situation.

Because disbarment rules vary by area, different rules can apply depending on where a lawyer is disbarred. Notably, the majority of US states have no procedure for permanently disbarring a person. Depending on the jurisdiction, a lawyer may reapply to the bar immediately, after five to seven years, or be banned for life.

This is what made me wonder why he wasn't brought up on criminal charges. If a felony usually leads to disbarment, and jumping straight to disbarment as opposed to going to criminal or civil court is rare, why did his case go directly to disbarment? There aren't nearly enough facts in the appellate summary to figure that out.

To whoever I'm irritating because I'm curious enough to learn more about both disbarment and this case...just put me on ignore. :makepoint: