• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 50 shenanigans on Pedigree?

529 posts in this topic

I'd say that Mark1 buying a book from a guy who got disbarred for doing that a long time ago is a pretty minor infraction.

I'm talking about the crazy grief every has given Mark1, for doing something that a large number of long-time board members have almost certainly done, even if they are keeping quiet about it now to avoid the wrath of the board's morality police.

If people used this board as their guide to ethical buying, there wouldn't be any comics bought or sold because we'd have crossed every major dealer off the list of acceptable sellers.

So robbing from 84 year old grand-mothers qualifies as a 'minor infraction'?

And you feel your 'ethics are fine'?

meh

I'd say that Mark1 buying a book from a guy who got disbarred for doing that a long time ago is a pretty minor infraction.

I respect your opinion but I disagree and I dare say a lot of others on here do as well.

I'm talking about the crazy grief every has given Mark1, for doing something that a large number of long-time board members have almost certainly done, even if they are keeping quiet about it now to avoid the wrath of the board's morality police.

If people are keeping quiet about their dealings with Doug then it would be impossible for anybody on here to give them grief, wouldn't you say? Mark1 kept coming back for more, which was his choice. I believe that he has changed his opinion though.

If people used this board as their guide to ethical buying, there wouldn't be any comics bought or sold because we'd have crossed every major dealer off the list of acceptable sellers.

Your assumption is wrong here, though I respect your right to make it.

meh

meh

2006 is a long time ago?

So what do we do with people who've committed a crime once they get out of prison?

If its immoral to hire them or buy or sell to them, that doesn't leave a lot of room for them to exist in any honest way. Maybe they should have just shot Doug instead of disbarring him?

Unless someone is willing to deal with former criminals in some way (even if it is just letting them clean toilets for a living), it seems to me that they will be required to return to crime.

Doug did some pretty bad things, but they weren't rape or murder. I see nothing indicating he is currently doing anything particularly unethical in his business now.

People can decide whether his track record makes him too untrustworthy to deal with and conduct themselves accordingly.

I don't think people holding themselves as morally superior than someone else for making a different decision on that are really worth listening to, though.

If somebody knowingly deals with criminals then, in my opinion, their morals become questionable.

And, before anyone asks, no, some people absolutely do not deserve second chances.

So what do we do with people who've committed a crime once they get out of prison?

Depends on the crime.

If its immoral to hire them or buy or sell to them, that doesn't leave a lot of room for them to exist in any honest way. Maybe they should have just shot Doug instead of disbarring him?

Is that a rational statement from you?

Unless someone is willing to deal with former criminals in some way (even if it is just letting them clean toilets for a living), it seems to me that they will be required to return to crime.

If somebody has been proven to be untrustworthy, especially where larger amounts of money are concerned, it would seem strange to allow them to take up a similar position.

Doug did some pretty bad things, but they weren't rape or murder. I see nothing indicating he is currently doing anything particularly unethical in his business now.

Better people than me have already pointed out his other unethical practices, particularly pertaining to this hobby. I think stealing money from old people is especially unsavory and reprehensible - obviously you do not.

People can decide whether his track record makes him too untrustworthy to deal with and conduct themselves accordingly.

Absolutely. Just like people can defend him as well, if they so wish.

I don't think people holding themselves as morally superior than someone else for making a different decision on that are really worth listening to, though.

I think you may be the only person who holds this point of view.

If somebody knowingly deals with criminals then, in my opinion, their morals become questionable.

And, before anyone asks, no, some people absolutely do not deserve second chances.

I think we should forgive Doug, Jason, and Danny. They have all learned their lessons and we should move on and just forget about the past.

Stop talking sense.

I think we should forgive Doug, Jason, and Danny. They have all learned their lessons and we should move on and just forget about the past.

Can we add Robojo33 to that list as well, he seems to have some really nice books for sale?

Can we add Robojo33 to that list as well, he seems to have some really nice books for sale?

That would be Danny I believe.

Dude, it's not mud slinging, it's the truth. Quite honestly, the only time I bring this up about Doug is when people try to downplay it.

I don't think people need to keep after you specifically, but I do think your attitude is a bit cavalier as well about the whole thing.

Brian, the disbarment is true and is a horrible thing. I am not cavalier about it at all. And by mudslingning...I mean directed towards me which isn't really true at all. I'm not someone who will buy from anyone regardless of their past.

I just feel that I shouldn't be shunned for buying a few books from the guy when I admitted that I did. I'm not the only one here. Clearly as the OP is about someone who is repeatedly selling a very big ticket book with Doug.

And, I agree that supporting a business that is known to have ethical issues is wrong. Unfortunately, we as consumers do it everyday. I see people filling up their gas everyday at my local BP gas station. While I decide to go elsewhere...they buy their gas from BP. I don't agree with it but I'm not going to judge them and say they are horrible people.

Does it come down to you guys demanding that I stop buying books from Doug? Because that is what I think the masses here want me to say.

Or for me to join the fight and jump in to bash Doug as well? Isn't the thrashing he gets on here enough without me?

Brian, you don't know me well but I did buy a big ticket book from you recently. Was I nice guy? Did I pay on time and make an easy transaction with you?

I'm not a bad person because I bought a few books from Doug and came on here to say that I had no bad experience doing so.

As I said before, I bought 4 other books from Doug before I even heard of his troubles. I just didn't know about his past. Over the past couple of months I have learned from this site all the issues. I even talked to you about it via PM.

I'm not here to create enemies. I came here to make friends and join a community of people who have like interests as me.

If I was wrong in making light of the situation. I apologize.

So does this mean we are friends now???????????

I've said this many times before, I'll say it again. My ire on this issue is only stoked when someone implies that what Doug did wasn't a big deal etc. Or that somehow it can't impact his comic business:

1) it's the foundation in many ways for how he built the business

2) it's an issue of trust which is part of his current business

3) He has done things which are shady in the comic business already, so it's not like he's been 100% clean the whole time

Now with all that said, people should understand that I do have a lot of sympathy for Doug. I don't know if I believe if he's "all bad" and I can tell that I'm betting that what started out as something that he thought he'd do that was minor and not that big a deal, mushroomed beyond his control.

i've mentioned addiction before not as an excuse, but in my mind, as what I believe is a real problem Doug had. In addition, Doug isn't the kind of "nice guy" that screams con man. I genuinely think he wants to be nice to people and doesn't see it as ripping anyone off. that of course is a problem, but again, I think doug is a more complicated guy than just greedy .

At any rate, the bottom line is that Mark1 shouldn't be vilified for buying nor anyone should be who sells through him.

But I do think it's important that the facts be laid out, we recognize the pros and cons of what this individual has done, and give the information to let people make up their own minds.

You're not Matt Nelson, are you? (shrug)

I like Matt Nelson so much more than I like you.

Not that anyone else cares...but just so you know.

I know you're kidding, but I do think there's some room to have some truth in this tongue and cheek statement.

Danny is sort of a completely defiant unrepentant type, so let's leave him aside for a moment.

If Ewert had taken a different road, apologized, taken his punishment, guess what, he'd be back actively selling and everything would be okay. I think Ewert's outrage stemmed from the fact that he got caught, but many others were playing the same game. Some people would still be leery but... he'd be back full bore.

And I know this because Mark Wilson was to me far worse historically in what he did, the only difference was CGC and the internet didn't exist, so the ramifications seem lesser and the communication less instantaneous. People forgave him for the most part, and probably fairly so.

Doug has overcome most of the issues with the disbarment because he's likable -- and for the most part -- has stayed away from any major scandal. But we should be mindful of what he's done and factor that accordingly in our decision as to whether to do business with him.

You're not Matt Nelson, are you? (shrug)

I like Matt Nelson so much more than I like you.

I like you so much more than I like Crazy Ed.

But Ed will be in Chicago and you will not. I may have to accept what's available.