• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OMG If you thought that Action #1 2.5 was ugly in a scan....

93 posts in this topic

...Then you should see it in person!!!....a guy at the Richmond con has it today and it is the biggest POS I've ever seen,.....there is mold and fungus growing on that book that hasn't been identified by modern science yet!!!...this book is a 1.0 at best....

Yep...in all it's glory....big ole' chunk missing....got grey/green/brown fuzzy fungus growing all over it....just disgusting...thank God it's encapsulated cause if that ever got out the world would be destroyed in 28 days.....

...Then you should see it in person!!!....a guy at the Richmond con has it today and it is the biggest POS I've ever seen,.....there is mold and fungus growing on that book that hasn't been identified by modern science yet!!!...this book is a 1.0 at best....

And yet my copy that was slabbed until I cracked it open, was CGC graded a 1.0 and yet looked beautiful and solid with just a bit of tape on the spine.

And yet my copy that was slabbed until I cracked it open, was CGC graded a 1.0 and yet looked beautiful and solid with just a bit of tape on the spine.

I thought I saw your Flash book there,...but it was #42.....

Yep...in all it's glory....big ole' chunk missing....got grey/green/brown fuzzy fungus growing all over it....just disgusting...thank God it's encapsulated cause if that ever got out the world would be destroyed in 28 days.....

I hope the CGC graders washed their hands. 27_laughing.gif

I hope the CGC graders washed their hands. 27_laughing.gif

I'm not kidding,...it looked like it had gangreen,...was truly embarrasing....he had it in a case with a mid-grade copy of Showcase #4 ,...and a 6.0 at best copy of Green Lantern #76...WTF??...whats that go for $40.00 bucks?

Ya I think heres where the hobby is a little [!@#%^&^] backwards - casue he probably wants more for it than say a 4.0 restored copy or some such nonsense. I mean could someone even restore that thing haha. Is there a category above Extensive restoration, like complete restoration as in CHUNKS ADDED - defungified, asbestos removal and soaked in hydrocloric acid to kill everything growing on it. Could be a new pedigree though - ACTION COMICS #1 High School Science project pedigree !!!!! This book will go through many chages from year to year as botanists everywhere try to classify the new species of molds that are produced, it doesnt get any rarer than this, not only do you get the first appearence of a Pop culture Icon, but you may be forwarding the scientific search for the cure to a major disease. hi.gif

I personally think it should be quarantined, and by no means allowed near a large group of innocent bystanders.

Just imagine what would happen if he dropped it, and the seal broke. 893whatthe.gif

It was locked under caseline....along with that valuable GL #76 6.0....but I could see gasses accumulating under the glass....

When were you there? I was there from 10 until noon. It was EXTREMELY crowded, so I'm not sure I would've seen you even if I would've looked.

I thought the Action 1 looked about like it did in the scan, and yep, it doesn't look much like a 2.5. I think he paid in the low $30K range for it. The Showcase 4 was restored by Tracey Heft. The guy who owned the books, Brett Carreras, seems to be doing really well. He told me he quit his day job a few months ago and now has three employees cataloguing that HUGE collection of 300,000 to 400,000 comics he bought from a long-time Mid-Atlantic convention dealer named Eich. Did you notice all the CGG books he had up on display? He said he's got another 1000 in with them right now that he was hoping to have for THIS con, but there were power outages up in Oregon in January which delayed the grading.

Was someone from this board there asking around for a copy of Buzzy 70? I was quite surprised to see this one guy walking around asking dealers for that book on behalf of Ian...I didn't expect Ian to have influenced even small convention goers! shocked.gif

Was someone from this board there asking around for a copy of Buzzy 70? I was quite surprised to see this one guy walking around asking dealers for that book on behalf of Ian...I didn't expect Ian to have influenced even small convention goers!

That was me,...I am a christian at heart....and I must have been standing there at his booth when you were there cause I heard him talking about the 1000 books he was waiting on.......

Did you get anything today, or have you ever gotten anything nice at that con? I picked all the dealers clean of their nice Marvels years ago, and just out of boredom after going to that show 2 or 3 straight times and coming away with nothing, I started picking all their best 9.2 or better Silver/Bronze DCs about a year ago. Picked up a very nice 9.4/9.6 House of Mystery 210 and a 9.4/9.6 Green Lantern 21 today, both from that guy who runs the Baltimore comic-con.

Mostly it was just the same guys with the same old stuff, though. Can't wait until Carreras finishes sorting through that huge collection he bought from Eich.

Nah,...I never get anything there....always too crowded for that room.....I don't usually go there cause I don't want local dealers comparing notes with each other on what I buy....I did see that run of HOM though,....there were some nice upper mid grade copies...you must have picked through them before I got there cause there was nothing higher than an 8.0 left by the time I got around to them...

I don't usually go there cause I don't want local dealers comparing notes with each other on what I buy

Why's that? I don't know a single dealer who has EVER come to that show besides Chris Foss of Heroes and Dragons who could give a rip about 9.0 or better Bronze or older books. I actively let them all know what I buy, and as a result, I've gotten first dibs on a few new collections picked up by some of the dealers. Not only do most of those dealers (besides Foss) not charge multiples of guide, but they usually knock 10% or so off the final price.

I did see that run of HOM though,....there were some nice upper mid grade copies...you must have picked through them before I got there cause there was nothing higher than an 8.0 left by the time I got around to them...

I passed on a 9.0/9.2 copy of House of Secrets 122. Do you go for 9.4 or better only?

There were at least three guys there today that I buy stuff from on a regular basis,...none of them had a booth, they were all browsing,...I just prefer my business dealings to be private,......you know how competitive and delicate this business is......If you have a dealer who regularly gives you first wack at a collection and he knows you are working with some else , who he might secretly detest, it could have an effect on your future dealings,.....to me it's like having your wife and your mistress at the same party,...just not a good idea...

The guy who owned the books, Brett Carreras, seems to be doing really well. He told me he quit his day job a few months ago and now has three employees cataloging that HUGE collection of 300,000 to 400,000 comics he bought from a long-time Mid-Atlantic convention dealer named Eich. Did you notice all the CGG books he had up on display? He said he's got another 1000 in with them right now

I heard the buy was closer to 540,000....he supposedly paid about 50k for the lot.....Eich used to be a regular dealer on the md/va/nc circuit,.....but if the 30 or so CGC'd books he had out today are any indication of the 1,000 that he is waiting on then I'm not very impressed....it's just a butt-load of mid to lower/upper grade stuff.....me?...I would have broken it down to smaller lots and tried to double my money on a per/book basis.....he's got 56 pages of $3.00 listings on E-bay right now...that's insane...think of the time it takes to do that...

but if the 30 or so CGC'd books he had out today are any indication of the 1,000 that he is waiting on then I'm not very impressed

You shouldn't be impressed, Eich doesn't care much about grade. But he did have some books in grade, it was just next-to-impossible to find them since he's never kept stuff in order. Carreras is using CGG, not CGC, with the idea he'll get an extra $5 to $10 a book than if he sold them raw since CGG is cheaper.

I got a chance to look over one of Carreras's new CGG hard cases...it's a mirror image of the CGC one. They simply copied every aspect of it. Wonder if they're just buying it from the same manufacturer of the CGC case but it took them a year to figure out who that was? confused-smiley-013.gif

I got a chance to look over one of Carreras's new CGG hard cases

Is this going to be a sealed case ,..or is it going to be one you can open up with a sealed insert like they originally planned?