• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OMG If you thought that Action #1 2.5 was ugly in a scan....

93 posts in this topic

Brett:

No offense, but I think that I speak for everyone when I say that CGC does not have a monopoly on the right to grade Golden Age comics.

Also, if you can find anyone aside from CGC who agrees with you that a book like that Action #1 that has a huge chunk out and a mold-green five o'clock shadow deserves a 2.5 G+, then I'd be really surprised.

No one is insulting the book, or, more importantly, you as the owner. We all just seem to disagree uniformly with the grade that was given to it. (Insert graemlin carrying American flag and a copy of the First Amendment here)

Not too thrilled with my book, eh????

And I am to suppose that you are the guy that took a look at the back cover, overall spine wear and color of the pages? How about the gloss check, or the restoration black-light?!?! wasn't you either, huh?

Until you are more familiar with the delicate grading of Golden age books, keep it to the professionals.

Regards,

Brett Carreras

Agreed 100%. And if the book had been given the 0.5 PR to 1.0 FR grade that it deserved, maybe the owner would have had it restored. That false 2.5 G+ grade is as much responsible for the fact that the book hasn't received necessary restoration as the owner's fear is.

Great point!

And as I understand it, if you hold that Action 1 close to your ear, you can actually hear an audible munching sound, made by the mold dining on the micro-chamber paper...

Brett:

No offense, but I think that I speak for everyone when I say that CGC does not have a monopoly on the right to grade Golden Age comics.

Also, if you can find anyone aside from CGC who agrees with you that a book like that Action #1 that has a huge chunk out and a mold-green five o'clock shadow deserves a 2.5 G+, then I'd be really surprised.

No one is insulting the book, or, more importantly, you as the owner. We all just seem to disagree uniformly with the grade that was given to it. (Insert graemlin carrying American flag and a copy of the First Amendment here)

An excellent point - again through no fault of its own, I think people are currently tending to attribute a little bit too much weight to the CGC number. Look they didnt cure cancer or consolidate comic book grading into a standard / artform for which they hold the key. Its also a circular argument to claim that CGC is the only one to have held the book and graded it from raw so therefore only CGC can know the true grade of the book.

I can sympathize with the owner of a copy of argueabley the most important comic ever published getting a little sore over ppl questioning its grade. But I think the opinion of those who have seens scans and thouse who have seen it in person is that "X-mas came early"

I was at Wizard World Philly 2003 ,My Son & I were checking it out at Mike Carbonarro's table. It's been passed around through several dealers ,it was fun holding a Action Comics # 1 in our hands ,I have a picture around the house somewhere of it, but no way is that the right grade for that book ,the mold is bad enough, But that Chunk out of the cover hurts that grade bad! IMO!! And I say that not as a novice Collector as I've been collecting since the 60's! P.S I'm not putting anyone down or the book, but again IMHO! that book was graded wrong ,Maybe F/G , Fair + but not G+ !!!!!!! Just my 2 Cents!!!

Until you are more familiar with the delicate grading of Golden age books, keep it to the professionals.

Regards,

Brett Carreras

I'm sorry Brett,...is that one of the courses that Sally Struthers offers on daytime T.V. commercials?...And no,...I didn't like the book,...and if you can't a little criticism perhaps you're not the professional that you aspire to be.....I hope one day I can be like you Brett,.... with 56 pages of E-bay crape going for $2.99 bins,...then I 'll know I've arrived,....good luck unloading that potato bud,...you're gonna need it.

Oh yeah...someone was quoting figures as to what I paid for a batch of books, and how many they were. Unfortunately you were way off on both counts.

Too bad.

-Brett Carreras

Hi Brett! Just bought some books off you on Ebay! hi.gif

Now in defense of the book it did look much better later in the afternoon after brett opened the case and gave it a quick shave,....it just had a little 5 o'clock shadow that's all....

It's really too bad that we have this stigma about PLOD books. Really.

Just taking this Action #1 for example. To seal this book in a holder with this kind of

defect really irritates me. How can you not want to remove mold that is growing on such a rare book surprises me? We talk so much about this rare and important issue but allow it to be eaten alive slowly withought any regard. We thrive on this blue label only for gain but not realize that this art which is so important to this hobby is slowly deteriorating, yet we make jokes about it. With such a defect it is only obvious it should be treated and not ignored. We have to determine soon what is acceptable in this hobby as to what is good restoration and what is bad. And removing mold from a book is GOOD. We all know that this mold will spread and that the book will eventually be destroyed by the elements. Honestly to slab a toxic book is ludicrous and should be treated for the future of this hobby, such as any other book,

or any other artwork which is already accepted in the art industry.

I agree that book should be freed. That mold may be Penicillium and could save the lives of several people...or simply save a patient who has syphilis.

I agree that book should be freed. That mold may be Penicillium and could save the lives of several people...or simply save a patient who has syphilis.

You'll want to be very careful about paper-cuts when applying that to the affected area, however...

You'll want to be very careful about paper-cuts when applying that to the affected area, however...

Ok,...easy now guys,...cause this is the part where Bug is gong to e-mail Brett Carrera and tell him there are a bunch of people making fun of his action #1 on the CGC board,....no wait ,...he already did that,....what do you do know Bug?...the fun's all over......

First of all no one knows if that mold is "active" or not, you'd have to test it. We all know the Larsons had foxing and those molds are long dead. The chunk is bothersome, but can that book really be called a fair? Not by my standards. A fair is a real POS that falls apart in your hands at times. This copy has structural integrety.

It may be a G or a G- to some (it was a G+ on the day it was graded by other) but it would never be a fair IMO. So in reality it's only off by a notch, possibly two. Worse pitfalls have befallen us, let's get over it and move on already! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Timely

Other way around. The comic was fine till the Graders touched it. 2.5 books are really ugly. But it really looks like a 1.5. Don't forget its cult status. I hear if you touch an Action 1 good things happen in you life.

And I am to suppose that you are the guy that took a look at the back cover, overall spine wear and color of the pages? How about the gloss check, or the restoration black-light?!?! wasn't you either, huh?

Regards,

Brett Carreras

Brett, I don't know you at all, but I want to say that your post is offensive to the experts on these boards. I own an Action 1 which was graded by CGC much lower than yours, yet looks fifty times more pleasing to the eye - no chunks out of the cover and no mould.

You are lucky that you possess such an overgraded comic, but please just don't insult all our integrity.

Regards,

Brett Carreras

Brett, I don't know you at all, but I want to say that your post is offensive to the experts on these boards. I own an Action 1 which was graded by CGC much lower than yours, yet looks fifty times more pleasing to the eye - no chunks out of the cover and no mould.

You are lucky that you possess such an overgraded comic, but please just don't insult all our integrity.

893whatthe.gif

IAN, you ROCK. Well done! thumbsup2.gif

and if you can't a little criticism perhaps you're not the professional that you aspire to be.....I hope one day I can be like you Brett,.... with 56 pages of E-bay crape going for $2.99 bins,...then I 'll know I've arrived,....good luck unloading that potato bud,...you're gonna need it.

shocked.giffrown.gif

First of all no one knows if that mold is "active" or not, you'd have to test it. We all know the Larsons had foxing and those molds are long dead. The chunk is bothersome, but can that book really be called a fair? Not by my standards. A fair is a real POS that falls apart in your hands at times. This copy has structural integrety.

Timely

No, that'd be a "poor." This Action #1 is what I would call a "Fair."