• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tax law change for Jan 1 2011

41 posts in this topic

A 1099 is self employed income,so can you also claim comic book losses then? So how does the hobby tax come into effect? as in being better,or obsolete? I see nothing but swiss cheese.

well, it's not a hobby tax, it's just if you claim a loss on your side business (is it 2 out of 3 years?) they consider it a hobby, not a business, and you can't claim a loss.

at the very least, selling your Spidey 1 for $10K less than you paid for it slabbed at the peak of the market would offset the $10K profit you made selling the Hulk 1 you bought off the newstand. it's just ahuge PITA documenting all of this and this is where the IRS hopes to nail you. who the heck has a receipt for something they bought at a convention in 1994? but paypal goes back pretty far, so you ought to be able to figure out what you paid for a slab in 2002 you paid for with paypal. it's one thing i like about them, but i'd hate for the IRS to get that info.