• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adventure Comics #61 leave as is or restore?

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I got this book in a large collection and intend to sell it. It has some ugly amateur resto at the top of spine and btm of spine. It has the obvious dust (dirt) shadow.

I've talked to Kenny :hi: some about the book and he said these were some of the steps possible for the book. Remove current resto. Remove current resto and clean dust shadow. Complete overhaul. Or leave as is and move it on out.

Questions are, keeping in mind that I fully intend to sell this book with the intent to maximize profit. So, would you send it in to have the amateur resto removed; dust shadow cleaned, or the full Monty, have it fully restored to it's max potential.

Thanks for your comments!

Adventure61.jpg

Adventure61b.jpg

I say sell as is. I have no idea what it's worth but it will cost $500 or more to restore it.

+1

It also looks like the cover has some funky edge trimming going on, which will likely put a cap on the value whether you restore it or not.

Hey David, now that I am home looking at your book on my monitor instead of the 15" in the hotel media center I agree with Jon and Paul, this book should be left as is. While you could possibly restore it to around a 7.0 for a grand or so, it's too big a gamble to take if your main goal is to move the book, quickly.

If the new owner(s) want to restore/conserve the book they can decide that for themselves and save you the hassle.

That said, it is one of those books that I would personally like to see cleaned up if cost/value were not such an issue, it's a minor key book that already has some poor looking resto applied and could be cleaned up quite nicely.

Thanks for the input guys. That's what I thought also, but with it being such an obvious candidate for resto it just got me thinking...........

By the way, have you ever noticed that the gun of the guy shooting at Star man?

Don't you think it looks an awful lot like Buck Rogers Ray Gun??

raygun.jpg

Hey David, now that I am home looking at your book on my monitor instead of the 15" in the hotel media center I agree with Jon and Paul, this book should be left as is. While you could possibly restore it to around a 7.0 for a grand or so, it's too big a gamble to take if your main goal is to move the book, quickly.

If the new owner(s) want to restore/conserve the book they can decide that for themselves and save you the hassle.

That said, it is one of those books that I would personally like to see cleaned up if cost/value were not such an issue, it's a minor key book that already has some poor looking resto applied and could be cleaned up quite nicely.

I wish you could restore it too, Kenny. Would love to see you knock it out of the park!

Hypothetically, say that the OP wanted to restore this book and that cost were no object. Color matching aside, it wouldn't be the most difficult thing in the world to replace the trimmed strips of the cover wrap, would it?

Lot's of Gold and Silver. Gold on Average is lower grade but there are for sure some that are nice. Early Silver is decent then around late 60's early 70's he started buying off the rack, these are very nice on average.

Early Adventure Comics, then from #202 up complete.

Near complete run of All-Flash including #1

Close to 40 issues of Flash Comics including coverless #1

Showcase 4, 8, 14, and bunches of others.

Flash 105 up complete

JLA 1 up complete

Hawkman 1 up complete

Sensation Comics including Sensation Mystery's

Airboys

Horror including some EC's

a few Superman, Action, Batman, Det.

Police Comics

Plastic Man

Doll Man

X-men 1

Daredevil 1

Spiderman 5, 14, etc.

HOM

HOS

Lots of Four Color, including Uncle Scrooge 1-4

Lots of Ducks, including 1st app. of Uncle Scrooge.

ETC..................... :acclaim:

If you have a need for something let me know. :)

Hypothetically, say that the OP wanted to restore this book and that cost were no object. Color matching aside, it wouldn't be the most difficult thing in the world to replace the trimmed strips of the cover wrap, would it?

Since you asked, yeah they could. Simply a matter of casting new material around the outer edge and trim it down to match the interior book size. And CT'ing everything to match of course.

This happens quite a bit with married back covers that are used to restore key books, they almost never match up correctly and need to be pushed out in several directions, so to speak.

I will see if I can find some photos that display this , that I am able to post publicly.

Since you asked, yeah they could. Simply a matter of casting new material around the outer edge and trim it down to match the interior book size. And CT'ing everything to match of course.

This happens quite a bit with married back covers that are used to restore key books, they almost never match up correctly and need to be pushed out in several directions, so to speak.

I will see if I can find some photos that display this , that I am able to post publicly.

Cool. (thumbs u

To tease this out a bit more... if trimmed cover material were cast back on, any idea whether would CGC still label the book as "trimmed"? Or would they simply give it an extensive resto label, to reflect that the missing material had been added back.

(Obviously, it would make no sense to do such a thing for the vast majority of books. I'm thinking of generally nice key books that have trimmed cover edges, such as that trimmed Tec 31 that was on ComicLink for quite a long time, or any of the various trimmed AF 15s that have been up for sale.)

To tease this out a bit more... if trimmed cover material were cast back on, any idea whether would CGC still label the book as "trimmed"? Or would they simply give it an extensive resto label, to reflect that the missing material had been added back.

(Obviously, it would make no sense to do such a thing for the vast majority of books. I'm thinking of generally nice key books that have trimmed cover edges, such as that trimmed Tec 31 that was on ComicLink for quite a long time, or any of the various trimmed AF 15s that have been up for sale.)

Interesting.

I believe if a covers edge has material added as part of a restoration process (even if that edge was previously trimmed) it would be labeled extensive, but not trimmed. The added material was trimmed, not the cover which was restored...if that makes sense.

But the kicker is what's worse?, an otherwise decent comic with trimmed edges, or a heavily restored book with casted and CT'ed edges? A book would need to have some serious other work done to justify casting the outer edges just to remove a trimming notation.

That said, what about trimmed bound volumes? hm

But the kicker is what's worse?, an otherwise decent comic with trimmed edges, or a heavily restored book with casted and CT'ed edges?

I think the market has spoken pretty clearly that nothing is worse than trimming on an otherwise decent-looking book, which is why I thought it was intriguing. The Tec #31 was a poster child for that... a stunning slabbed MR 6.5 with the cover edges micro-trimmed, that took many months to sell for $8K or so. Without the trimming notation and even with the resto, I'd guess it would be a $12-15K book that would sell briskly. Anyways, something to think about. hm