• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Open Apology...

54 posts in this topic

No, I'm not apologizing for debating... ;)

I have come to the realization, slowly but surely over the last couple of years, that I made a big, big mistake in the early days of my collecting, and I'd like to apologize for it.

Instead of paying the "crazy high" prices some dealers had for the best, highest grade material they had, I always lowballed it. I settled for the "what would become" 9.4 Web of Spiderman #1s for $2, instead of springing...like I should have...for the one priced at $10-$15 but that was absolutely flawless.

For the VG Batman #200 that I lowballed for $15, and passed on the near perfect 9.4 for $75.

Granted, the breadth of my collection is pretty large. But....from 1980 back, it's composed of mostly an average of VG/F books. Had I paid that $65 for that what would have been a 9.8 X-Men #121, I would have been far better off than dickering for those 5 VF copies for $15 each.

So....even though most of those dealers have long since moved on...I apologize. I have seen the error of my ways, and you were right to price those pristine books at a premium.

I would have done the same thing if I were you.

(thumbs u

Rather than apologizing, you should be slugging yourself in the nuts. All those people that you bought all that low grade drek from made out like bandits. The dealers with the high grade either got their price or shipped it off to Sarasota. The only loser here is you.

And me, because i pretty much lived by the same formula. I don't know if I am more upset by not being born with a silver spoon or not being born with a brain big enough to comprehend that quality is almost always better than quantity.

I can't accept your apology.

In fact I should be apologizing to you for not pricing my high grade books at a premium all those years ago.

I too have since learned the error of my ways.

Your young,sell off the drek and start your high grade trek. ;)

Well, you know, the GOOD thing is this: my POST 1980-books are FREAKIN' PHENOMENAL... lol And I DID manage to score...through no fault of my own...some choice, choice 9.8 potentials for next to nothing (X-Men #110, later slabbed 9.8, $10 in 1996. :cloud9: )

And the silver lining?

With prices crashing on nearly all non-highest graded, non-key Silver and up, I'll happily buy that Doctor Strange #1 9.8 for $200.

Lord knows I've made enough money on New Mutants #98s in 9.8.

;)

An Open Apology...

Oh, cool, I've been waiting for you to apologize to everyone for being a habitual obnoxious @ss....

;)

Guess I need to wait a little longer... :eyeroll:

No, I'm not apologizing for debating... ;)

I have come to the realization, slowly but surely over the last couple of years, that I made a big, big mistake in the early days of my collecting, and I'd like to apologize for it.

Instead of paying the "crazy high" prices some dealers had for the best, highest grade material they had, I always lowballed it. I settled for the "what would become" 9.4 Web of Spiderman #1s for $2, instead of springing...like I should have...for the one priced at $10-$15 but that was absolutely flawless.

For the VG Batman #200 that I lowballed for $15, and passed on the near perfect 9.4 for $75.

Granted, the breadth of my collection is pretty large. But....from 1980 back, it's composed of mostly an average of VG/F books. Had I paid that $65 for that what would have been a 9.8 X-Men #121, I would have been far better off than dickering for those 5 VF copies for $15 each.

So....even though most of those dealers have long since moved on...I apologize. I have seen the error of my ways, and you were right to price those pristine books at a premium.

I would have done the same thing if I were you.

(thumbs u

I'm needing a VG to FINE+ copy of Captain America 331. Seems I'm missing that one. (shrug) Do I send you a check directly, or do I funnel it to some front organization?

An Open Apology...

Oh, cool, I've been waiting for you to apologize to everyone for being a habitual obnoxious @ss....

;)

Thank God for different perspectives. If everyone thought like you, I'd have been talking to the dust bunnies long ago...

:cloud9:

I'll cross out your name from the "Send Card To At Christmas" list....

(thumbs u

An Open Apology...

;)

Thank God for different perspectives. If everyone thought like you, I'd have been talking to the dust bunnies long ago...

:cloud9:

I'll cross out your name from the "Send Card To At Christmas" list....

(thumbs u

lol

You're okay in my book Rocky. I consider you to be much like JC, a wealth of comic knowledge and a valuable contributor to these boards, provided you can look past the occasional personality defect. :baiting:

I, on the other hand, haven't contributed anything meaningful in years, and I'm planning on letting the streak continue. :wishluck:

It's this way across the board ,and exacerbated greatly b/c of the economy , whether it's antiques,art,collectibles such as cards,coins,comics,military memoribillia,political & entertainment memor. , etc. it's always the same.

Trust me I get it all and sell it all. The rare and quality can sell at double "book" and the common stuff everyone sees and everyone has is lucky to go at 1/2 or even receive reasonable offers.

Just sayin......... :hi:

It's this way across the board ,and exacerbated greatly b/c of the economy , whether it's antiques,art,collectibles such as cards,coins,comics,military memoribillia,political & entertainment memor. , etc. it's always the same.

Trust me I get it all and sell it all. The rare and quality can sell at double "book" and the common stuff everyone sees and everyone has is lucky to go at 1/2 or even receive reasonable offers.

Oh look. Someone left the door open. hm

To the short bus?

To the short bus?

It's one of those Coppertone Cockroaches. Someone step on it. :sumo: