• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Revenge Of The Non-Enhanced Variants!

26 posts in this topic

So, of course, the early 90's (still Copper, and the Modern guys don't really participate in these dicussions) was the KING of the Enhanced Foil Die-Cut Hologram Super variants....

But what got unnoticed...and really short shrift...were the NON-enhanced variants that came out at the same time. So...here's a thread to highlight those plain ol' books that are FINALLY getting their just desserts...they usually had print runs 10 to 20 times smaller than their "enhanced" counterparts.

One key to look for if you're unsure if you have the "enhanced" or the "regular"...CHECK THE COVER PRICE. If it seems "low" for a then current enhanced book, it's probably the newsstand.

Also check the UPC coding. Marvel nearly always coded the ENHANCED version as the variant, and the non-enhanced as the regular (that is, FF #387 would be 38721, and the non-enhanced 38711.)

Let the fun begin!

25.jpg

Avengers #375 enhanced had a 5th ink metallic silver logo and other parts. Here's the "newsstand regular":

!Bztfd9wCGk~$(KGrHqN,!hMEw5FOsQF9BM(PcCp,9g~~_3.JPG

Thor #475 had an embossed foil cover:

8612121_1.jpg

Here's the regular:

thor_475.jpg

No embossing, regular paper cover.

FF #387 had a diecut cover:

L4541.jpg

There regular had no diecut:

d716_12.JPG

I remember buying many of these off the stands....unlike a lot of other shops, my LCS actually ordered the regular editions in a roughly 1:1 ration with the gimmick covers. They found that many people wouldn't pay the extra buck for the die-cut, platnium embossed, tri-fold nonsense covers. Imagine that.

Cool stuff though, brings back lot of fun memories.

What about the 90's X-books that came in the 'Deluxe' edition and also the standard edition. To this day I do not know the difference of those two versions, other than the 'DELUXE' label on the cover.

What about the 90's X-books that came in the 'Deluxe' edition and also the standard edition. To this day I do not know the difference of those two versions, other than the 'DELUXE' label on the cover.

Paper quality.

The "deluxe" ones had slick paper and the standard ones were printed on newsprint.

This thread rules. I dove out of comics in the fall of 1992 and didn't return until 1998. I missed a bunch of these. Does anyone have info (or scans) for non-enhanced copies of some of the Marvel groundbreakers: SS 50, Guardians 25, Ghost Rider 15?

This thread rules. I dove out of comics in the fall of 1992 and didn't return until 1998. I missed a bunch of these. Does anyone have info (or scans) for non-enhanced copies of some of the Marvel groundbreakers: SS 50, Guardians 25, Ghost Rider 15?

I vaguely remember having a non-laser foil Guardians Of The Galaxy #25, but I can't recall ever seeing a non-enhanced Surfer #50 or GR #15.

I'm not saying they definitely do not exist, but I certainly can't remember ever seeing them.

Anyone else? (shrug)

Paper quality.

The "deluxe" ones had slick paper and the standard ones were printed on newsprint.

:news: Thanks!

SS #50 and GR #15 did NOT have "regular" versions, as the enhanced stuff was still relatively new then.

But Guardians #25 did have one.

For Kdog:

Wildcats #2:

!Be3MHZQ!Wk~$(KGrHqIH-C4Ere9thJVUBK+BYZ0lDg~~_3.JPG

Sorry for the tiny pic:

244298524_tp.jpg

Some of the variants are quite strikingly different, like the Wildcats #2...some aren't. Here's a Shadowhawk #1:

73492995134.1.GIF

73492995134.1.NEWS.GIF

Detective Comics #700:

!Bz2Si(!EWk~$(KGrHqUOKjcE)eR,CTUFBM()8ZVJnw~~_12.JPG

24038627564.700.GIF

Note that by this time, it's the NON-enhanced book with the variant code.

SS #50 and GR #15 did NOT have "regular" versions, as the enhanced stuff was still relatively new then.

Thanks for confirming this one. I was 99% sure I was right, but I didn't want to sound too confident. (thumbs u

As for the early Image standard versions. I remember someone claiming that Bloodstrike #1 also had one (I've never seen it). Can you (or anyone else) confirm either way?

There are a few enhanced variants the have non enhanced covers that are about 10-20% of the print run. All of the below have non enhanced covers that is much harder to find. I think there are non ehanced in newstand version of all of these and are even tougher.

ASM 25 V2

Thor 25 V2

X-men 80 V2

X-men 360

Thanks for confirming this one. I was 99% sure I was right, but I didn't want to sound too confident. (thumbs u

You know me...I have no problem sounding confident. ;)

As for the early Image standard versions. I remember someone claiming that Bloodstrike #1 also had one (I've never seen it). Can you (or anyone else) confirm either way?

I have never seen a non "rub the blood" bloodstrike cover, but it MIGHT exist. I doubt it.

Oddly enough, has anyone noticed that all the "rub the blood" has turned red over the years?

Soooo....anybody else have any they want to contribute...?

I've got lots more, but I don't wanna dominate a thread...

:whistle:

I know! How's about just a list of books that have both versions?

DC

Batman #500, 515, 530-532, 550

Robin #1, 14

Detective Comics #682

Shadow of the Bat #35

Superman #75, 82

Marvel

FF #387, #398-400

Guardians of the Galaxy #25

Namor #50

Quasar #50

New Warriors #50

X-Men #37-41

Uncanny X-Men #316-321

Thor #475

Avenger #375

Wildcats #2

Brigade #4

Shadowhawk #1

Misc

There...that's a prelim....feel free to add. :)

X-Men 350, 360

FF V3 #35

ASM 388, 390, 394, 400

I'd have to look, but I believe the Cable series also came in the 'Deluxe' editions. There might be other X-books as well.

Also - I mentioned earlier the 2 recent 'variants'. But I'm not sure if they count since they were legit variants of the 1 in XX flavor.