• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting every Doctor Strange

46 posts in this topic

Welcome to the boards, and nice Avatar. cloud9.gif

Personally I am a big fan of the good Doctor but I feel the character has never lived up to the hights he scaled when Ditko was on art/plot chores. For me Dr. Stange and Steve Ditko were perfectly suited and he did some of his best work on those early books.

Man, that is one beautiful copy of Strange Tales #110. Finding a 9.0 or better of that would be my Mount Everest of the collection. I saw that 9.0 on Comic Link and almost had a happy accident.

Blowout, I love Steve Ditko's run and think he was definitely the quintissential Doc artist, but Steranko did an amazing job when Ditko left Strange Tales, creating some really beautiful surrealist landscapes. The stories were pretty good as well. I also have to give kudos to those Marvel Premieres where Brunner drew Doctor Strange and Mordo witnessing the Big Bang...

As for the TV show, the final costume they had Peter Hooten in was super lame. Other than that, it was a cheeseball Marvel epic from the 70's kind of like the Nicholas Hammond Spider-Man. Anne-Marie Martin, who played Clea, later married writer Michael Crichton and divorced him and apparently took the guy to the cleaners. Not that I know any of the details... You can find the videos online, and bootleg DVDs are rampant at conventions. If they ever make a really brilliant big budget Dr. Strange movie, this will become a cult classic.

As far as the T-shirt, poster and stationery set... I have the Graphitti Designs reissue of the shirt unopened in the package, and I tracked down the 1967 poster last year, but have yet to find the stationery. If anyone has a pad or knows where to find one, let me know!

Thanks for the tip on 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo, Mephisto44. I've got a few Doc cartoons already. The Spider-Man Animated Series episode, The Incredible Hulk episode, The Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends episode, and last years Justice League with Dr. Fate, Solomon Grundy, and Aquaman basically taking the places of Strange, Hulk and Sub Mariner in the closest thing cartoons have come to a Defenders animated show.

Here's a couple items I didn't see on your list:Comic Reader # 108 July 1974-- Nice Brunner coverCPL #7 mid-70's fanzine--Great Craig Russell cover. Russels website describes the history behind it.+ the company that issued the 1971 black light posters also did 3 greeting cards.A fanzine from the 70's called Factors Unknown allegedly has a page of unpublished Tom Palmer Dr. Strange art. Happy ebay hunting!

Thanks for the tip on the Comic Reader 108. What does CPL stand for? Was that the name of the fanzine?

There's a few fanzines I'm missing, actually. One I saw on e-Bay had a Dave Sim drawing of Dr. Strange on the cover. Still kicking myself for not picking that one up, but there were a lot of auctions that week and you know how it is... Neilalien also quotes Stan Lee's letter from Comic Reader #16 back in February of 1963 as saying: "We have a new character... named Dr. Strange... Twas Steve's idea." That would be worth having for historical value alone!

Yes, CPL was the title of the fanzine. It stood for contemporary pictorial literature. The cover was originally for a story Russell expanded in 1976 to become Dr. Strange annual #1. It's cool in the way the Alter Ego #6 cover was originally intended for Dr. Strange #180. It was however, a rare and small B&W fanzine. The Comic Reader #108 Dr. Strange Brunner cover is also B&W, but should be easier to find. These three are probably the best purely Dr. Strange professionally done fanzine covers. Tim Conrad's Strange Tales index cover was good too.

The fanzines are definitely a can of worms I try to limit to the essentials. My rule of thumb is to collect the ones that either have Doc original art, Doc on the cover, or a major article on Doc or one of his creators. Obviously a complete set of fanzines with every Doctor Strange cameo would be nearly impossible to find, but I'm always on the lookout for rarities and grab as many as I can!

Just lost an auction tonight actually for a Comic Reader #44 from 1965:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3967&item=2227563162&ssPageName=STRK:MEBDW:IT

Okay, I looked through your list a little more carefully and I think you are missing the following:

Dr. Strange 33 (Whitman variant)

Marvel Tales 29 rep Strange Tales 141

Marvel Tales 31 rep Strange Tales 142

Marvel Tales 134 rep Strange Tales 110

Spiderman Classics 1 rep Strange Tales 115

Lastly there was a Topps Sugar Free gum sold back in 1979 with these little one page comics in them. One of those was a Dr. Strange 3 panel comic. I think they are selling a box of these on E-bay right now. Good luck.

Never found a Whitman variant yet, and I've been looking! Thanks for the heads up on the Spider-Man Classics #1. I might have some of those Marvel Tales at home, but will have to wait until this afternoon to be able to check. Info is much appreciated!

As far as the Topps 1979 comics, eBay's auction is only for an empty display box, which is a bummer. One of the Doc web sites has a few small scans of those comics, but it won't compare to tracking down the real things! I think the ice cream man in my neighborhood used to sell them when I was a kid! Ah, memories!

Still, I did just pick up a 1976 Dr. Strange Topps sticker card yesterday. This is the second one in the series (the first one has Doc saying a bad pun about making "House Calls".) You can see it here if anyone's interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2228433945&category=3737&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1