• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting every Doctor Strange

46 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I'm new to these boards but have been checking them out for some time. Hope you folks can help me!

Like Ian Levine and his obsessive quest to collect every DC, I'm on my way to collecting every appearance of Marvel's sorceror supreme, Doctor Strange. I already have nice copies of the Strange Tales run, as well as complete sets of all of Doc's solo series, all the Defenders, as well as all the cameos, crossovers and reprints listed in the Web Comic Books Database. I've checked on various Doc sites like Neilalien and The Sanctum Sanctorum for lists of collectibles and rarities, and have amassed quite a few in the last couple of years.

You can see a complete listing of my collection here: http://www.howardhallis.com/drstrange

My question is this: Anyone notice anything I'm missing? Any rare one shots, promotional items, or magazine appearances you don't see on my list? Although I try to collect every Doc comic reprint, I draw the line at expensive trades that only feature one Doc story, like the Marvel Masterworks of Spider-Man and Journey Into Mystery. Still, I'm trying to get every trade that has Doc as a major player or features him on the cover. I also know that all the foreign reprints will be nearly impossible to collect complete runs of, but any suggestions how to do this would be appreciated as well!

Thanks for your time and look forward to posting more in the future!

Welcome to the boards ! - aren't there some Marvel Treasury Editions out there ??

Marvel Treasury Edition #6 reprints:

Strange Tales #146, 148

Doctor Strange #170 (1968)

Doctor Strange #177 (1968)

Marvel Premiere #10

Marvel Treasury Edition #16: Defenders

Reprint: Defenders #4 (1st Valkyrie)

Defenders #13-14 (-1 pg)

Marvel Feature #1 (1971) (Origin, 1st Defenders)

Yeah, I have all the Marvel Treasury Editions. Besides #6 (the awesome Dr.Strange one I had as a kid which kind of inspired my insanity) and #16 (The Defenders), Doc also appeared in 3 more: #8: Giant Superhero Holiday Grab Bag, #12: Howard The Duck, and #22: The Sensational Spider-Man.

Anyone know if Dr. Strange appeared in "The Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe"? I don't want to shell out all that money for it if he isn't in it at all!

He could be in Fantastic Four KSA #3. He's not on the cover, but there were a bunch of Marvel characters in that issue. I can check when I get home if no one else does in the meantime.

Edit: Never mind, I see it on your list. thumbsup2.gif

I have the All Access, and I really appreciate the heads up on the Death's Head II and Clandestine. 2 questions for you Lantern... The only Clandestine series I know of is from 1994. Was there an earlier one in 1985? Mile High doesn't have a listing. Also, any idea if the Death's Head II #4 is from the first or second series?

I have the All Access, and I really appreciate the heads up on the Death's Head II and Clandestine. 2 questions for you Lantern... The only Clandestine series I know of is from 1994. Was there an earlier one in 1985? Mile High doesn't have a listing. Also, any idea if the Death's Head II #4 is from the first or second series?

It was a typo, it should have said 1995. The first issue was dated 1994 and that issue is dated 1995.

Sorry about that.... foreheadslap.gif

Also, any idea if the Death's Head II #4 is from the first or second series?

I missed this the first time around...

It is from the first Volume of Deaths Head II. The issue will be dated June 1992 on the cover and for some odd reason the inside states May 1992.

Yeah, I think the current FF is Vol. 3, but my head hurts trying to deal with Marvel's numbering! Would that make the Heroes Reborn series Vol. 2? Did they count that as a direct continuation of Vol. 1? I'm at a loss!

There are some of those Aussie reprints on eBay now. Think I'll try to get #1 if the price doesn't go too high!

Just watch the condition.....most of the Newton's are oversized and produced on poor quality paper. They are prone to tears, spine rolls and dog earing (aussies didn't collect in the 70's like US kids. Also, you need to understand that the bulk of the Marvel Newtons have black and white art interiors (they did this to reduce cost).

The British reprints are the same way. Usually oversized, black and white, and hard to get in good condition. Still, the foreign comics are like obsessive icing on an already big cake, so I'm not a stickler for finding perfect copies. There have been a few nice one's I've found. Last year I won an almost complete set of the French "Docteur Strange" series on eBay, and each issue would probably grade an 8.0 or higher. The Mexican reprints from the 60's are also really really hard to track down as well, and they usually look pretty thrashed when they occasionally do come up for sale.