• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coppers worth slabbing

10 posts in this topic

I had posted in General wondering if there was a way to see if there was a way within GPA to filter by date (or date range), grade, and sales price (last sale or average - any would work for me) without having to look at each title/issue individually to see if they meet this criteria.

I haven't paid any attention to any comics except GA since the early 2000s when I got back into collecting. I was actively buying however in the 80s and have loads of unread books from that era.

Because I'm lazy, I didn't want to dig through GPA with each title and issue to find what books from that era may be worth slabbing. What I am thinking is that I am looking for books that at a 9.8 grade would be worth (have sales of $100 or more). I wouldn't think there would be too many. Books like Spidey 238 and 252. Not talking really about the obscure like have been posted in the hardest to find thread.

Any ideas on how I can find this information or I don't mind folks answering with a list a books for consideration.

I have Marvels, DCs, and all kinds of Indies. I want to do my first pre-screen and so I am wanting to get a good batch of books that would be worthy if they passed. Any help would be appreciated. :foryou:

I don't think so. Take a look at the Market Reports. Should give you some info on the moderns that are being submitted by others, the 'investment potential' breakdown, and progressive reports....etc.

and ASM 238 and 252 are Copper Age books, not Modern Age.

I don't think so. Take a look at the Market Reports. Should give you some info on the moderns that are being submitted by others, the 'investment potential' breakdown, and progressive reports....etc.

and ASM 238 and 252 are Copper Age books, not Modern Age.

Thanks - yes I meant Coppers but to me anything after 1970 is a modern ;)

(I did change the title though).

The market reports just don't give enough as they provide up 20 books but they do provide some good information.

(Saga of the) Swamp Thing #20 and 21 are close. IMO they are "worth" slabbing in 9.8.

Alan Moore is universally recognized as one of the top writing talents in comics. He is one of the first (if not the first) writers to ever be "broken out" in the Guide. He was getting some nice acclaim when he was writing MM and V for Warrior Magazine in the early 80's. ST basically cemented his status as a top 80's writer. A few years later, Watchmen and MM solidified his status as one of the top 5 writers of all-time.

ST #20 is his first mainstream work. ST #21 is one of the first (if not the first) and best ret-cons of all-time. He transformed Swamp Thing from a minor, bit-player in the DC Universe into one of it's most powerful characters. ST #21 laid the groundwork for the Vertigo imprint. It's easily one of the most important books of the Copper Age and, in terms of it's influence, one of the most important books in comic history.

Other Alan Moore books "worth" slabbing would be:

Miracleman "Olympus" arc (#12-16) is probably the single best story arc ever (IMHO). Worth slabbing in 9.8. For #15, 9.6 or better.

#23 & 24 (not Moore, but Gaiman), I'd say 9.6 or better. If you've got 9.8's, it's a lock for slabbing.

Not really much out there that hasn't already been identified/bumped. DC Presents #47? (not sure on the #, but the He-Man book) is a good one from Copper.

For Modern, LOEG #5 ("Marvel" variant) is worth it in anything 9.2 or better. Although, I doubt there's much difference in 9.2 vs. "NM- raw". But, a sure-fire 9.6 is well worth the slabbbing costs.

I know I have the DC Comics Presents. Pretty sure I have the entire run. Have some Miraclemans but not sure the numbers. Definitely don't have the LOEG.

Outside of TMNT, are there any off the wall indies that stand out?

Outside of TMNT, are there any off the wall indies that stand out?

RMA, Seanfingh, and others are better off giving you that info than I am (and will probably be able to expand on what I am going to tell you...).

I'd go with any Dave Stevens cover; 9.8 is a lock. 9.6 for some of the most classic covers (Airboy, Crossfire, etc...).

Not much help, I know, but a start....

(Saga of the) Swamp Thing #20 and 21 are close. IMO they are "worth" slabbing in 9.8.

Alan Moore is universally recognized as one of the top writing talents in comics. He is one of the first (if not the first) writers to ever be "broken out" in the Guide. He was getting some nice acclaim when he was writing MM and V for Warrior Magazine in the early 80's. ST basically cemented his status as a top 80's writer. A few years later, Watchmen and MM solidified his status as one of the top 5 writers of all-time.

ST #20 is his first mainstream work. ST #21 is one of the first (if not the first) and best ret-cons of all-time. He transformed Swamp Thing from a minor, bit-player in the DC Universe into one of it's most powerful characters. ST #21 laid the groundwork for the Vertigo imprint. It's easily one of the most important books of the Copper Age and, in terms of it's influence, one of the most important books in comic history.

ST #21 isn't a retcon.

It's the antithesis of retcon. ;) (I know, I know, I'm just giving you a hard time.)

What Alan Moore did, he did without contradicting a single word of "what had gone before", and kept the entire continuity of the previous 45+ appearances of the character intact.

It was brilliant, it was groundbreaking, and it remains the most ingenious origin "fix" in all of comics history.

:cloud9:

Not that I, ya know, have any strong opinions on the matter...

Other Alan Moore books "worth" slabbing would be:

Miracleman "Olympus" arc (# 11 -16) is probably the single best story arc ever (IMHO). Worth slabbing in 9.8. For #15, 9.6 or better.

(thumbs u Fixed that for you.