• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Romita signing a Spidey #14?

22 posts in this topic

I think the bigger question is why anyone would want it signed by Romita and why would anyone buy it now?

To me that is a ruined ASM 14 unless you are a huge Romita fan and want his autograph.

I think the bigger question is why anyone would want it signed by Romita and why would anyone buy it now?

To me that is a ruined ASM 14 unless you are a huge Romita fan and want his autograph.

I don't think its ruined. Its still a nice copy of a key book .

Probably just because its a run he worked on.

maybe because its the 1st app of a character that he drew in one of the best covers of all time (40)

not saying its right, but thats gotta be why.

lol Might was well have McFarlane sign it then. ASM 312 was a pretty cool cover. Then the value will probably triple.

I have a Treasury Edition of SSM #1 that both Stan Lee and John Romita signed. Most of the reprints in that were not J.R.'s work, isn't that the same thing?

Edit, I just checked it again and it does have the ASM 42 story in it. "Face it Tiger,... You just hit the jackpot!"

I would still prefer Kirby to be a signature on ASM 14 over J.R.

maybe because its the 1st app of a character that he drew in one of the best covers of all time (40)

lol Might was well have McFarlane sign it then. ASM 312 was a pretty cool cover. Then the value will probably triple.

might as well, although I wouldnt want Todd McFarlane touching anything(never liked his work)

again , I'm just saying thats the closest I can get to a reason why JR would sign a 14

I don't think its ruined. Its still a nice copy of a key book .

Perhaps I was a bit harsh saying it was ruined in general. It is a key book for sure and one of my favorite ASM covers and story.

For me it would be ruined because I would never buy a signed book like that. It's just not for me.

Its their book,they can to whatever they want with it 2c

Sure, they can do whatever they want with their book. But since its for sale, they obviously don't want it to be their book and I think most people would question him signing that.

Anyone notice its double signed? Looks like previous owner "MIchael" wrote his name on it as well.

I have a Treasury Edition of SSM #1 that both Stan Lee and John Romita signed. Most of the reprints in that were not J.R.'s work, isn't that the same thing?

Edit, I just checked it again and it does have the ASM 42 story in it. "Face it Tiger,... You just hit the jackpot!"

He also drew the cover, which is an iconic image of Spidey that's been reproduced all over the place.

In regards to the OP's question, I have to say this type of sig has never made sense to me, and there's plenty more books besides this one that have been autographed by artists and writers who worked on or created a character, but had nothing to do with the issue they signed. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

I don't think anyone disputes that. However, it makes zero sense (to me) to get a comic signed by a creator that had nothing to do with the issue.

Sure, they can do whatever they want with their book. But since its for sale, they obviously don't want it to be their book and I think most people would question him signing that.

Anyone notice its double signed? Looks like previous owner "MIchael" wrote his name on it as well.

I think we've got it all wrong.

"Michael" is the witnessed signature and the book belonged to John Romita.

It was stuck in front of him and he was too polite to tell the owner that he was a dumbarse.

A few years ago, I was getting Perez to sign some books at a show. The guy in front of me had about 50 books, most of which Perez had not worked on. I know this because he kept handing them back to the guy "I didn't work on this." Good for him, why would you sign another artist's work? :sumo:

I think you meant #39. While #40 has a cool cover, it has nowhere near the icon status of #39. What a way to start a run. :cloud9: