• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-man #64 question on length

11 posts in this topic

I had recently purchased a group of books that had a really sharp copy of this book. But when I compared the length of it to other Spidey issues (52,84) the book is shorter, enough to notice. I then compared those to a couple earlier FF issues and they were all shorter then the FF issues...My question is or can someone do comparisons of their own book to see if it indeed does appear shorter for some reason? Supposedly the collector had a couple other copies that all appeared to be about the same length as the one I bought.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Production tolerances were pretty lax in the Silver Age (early Daredevil and late TTA come to mind).

Measurement is not a good measurement as to whether a book has been trimmed.

Does the copy look like all the elements of the cover are present? Or are some parts cut off? If the latter is the case, most likely it is trimmed.

I noticed the same thing with some of my Archie Digests. They're not all exactly the same size, but I know for a fact they are not trimmed. It could very well just be the way that issue was printed.

I don't have the exact issues you have but I did pull eight random ASM readers out of a pile.

ASM 72 & 73 are 1/8 of an inch shorter than 52, 67, 73, 78 & 84. #78 is actually a tiny bit taller than any of them.

My 67 and 52 are a good 1/8 of an inch wider than the others.

I'd avoid using cover art as an indication of trimming as the art is always larger than the cover and what can be seen depends on the quality of the wrap.

Don't they say that if you take a jeweler's loop you should be able to see a difference in color between the outer edge of the paper and the rest of the page. (shrug)

I think this is true but it would be predicated on a recent trim.

It seems to me that if a book was trimmed years ago, it may have "weathered" such that detection would be difficult.