• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could a R rated Batman movie work?

55 posts in this topic

I remember when the Dark Knight came out that some critics felt the movie would have been better if not toned down in order to achieve the PG-13.

What do you think?

Personally I don't think it would have made as much as it did in the States, but I could be wrong.

I wonder what was cut that made it rated R.

It might have kept a few kids out, but in the grand scheme of things probably wouldn't have hurt the bottom line too much. I mean it did make a jillion dollars or something, right?

It might have kept a few kids out, but in the grand scheme of things probably wouldn't have hurt the bottom line too much. I mean it did make a jillion dollars or something, right?

What movie did an R rating ever keep you from seeing in the theater?

Almost every top US movie is a movie that kid's see as well. SpiderMan, Shrek, Star Wars, lord of the Rings, etc. I dint know what the top rated R movie of all time is but I'm guessing it's not in the Top 10 or 15.

OK I looke dit up. It is that Christ fellow and it's #15. The top grossing Rated R movie not containing a few thousand year old superhero is Matrix Reloaded at #45.

What movie did an R rating ever keep you from seeing in the theater?

I can't say I pay attention to ratings.

Almost every top US movie is a movie that kid's see as well. SpiderMan, Shrek, Star Wars, lord of the Rings, etc. I dint know what the top rated R movie of all time is but I'm guessing it's not in the Top 10 or 15.

It's The Passion of the Christ and it is number 15 with $370,782,930.

R ratings have a huge effect on attendance for this type of movie. While most feel the movie sucked, the studios blamed the R rating for much of the horrible box office for Judge Dredd. The lack of R films in the top 100 is a good indicator of how much it can limit an audience. Unless it is essential to the story telling, studios would be very unlikely to take an R.

How much violence and sex is needed to tell a good story?

Before CGI became king, sex and violence always took the place of character, plot, cinematography and score. :sumo:

lol TRUE.

If there was ever a movie that shouldve been rated R, it was Wolverine.
What I don't understand is how come they didn't just shoot an R movie cut it down to PG-13 for the theater and release a special unrated BLOOD N GUTS edition for the DVD? (shrug) would have satisfied both parties.

won't ever happen. it's all about the $$$$
So you think a R rating would be good for a batman movie? Do you think it would have helped the Dark Knight story wise?

A new -script and director would've helped that movie more than an R rating ;)

What I don't understand is how come they didn't just shoot an R movie cut it down to PG-13 for the theater and release a special unrated BLOOD N GUTS edition for the DVD? (shrug) would have satisfied both parties.

How about just write a great -script and dont worry about it being PG 13. I wonder what Scarface or The Godfather would be like as a PG 13 movie. Hollyweird has to stop compromising themselves.

How about just write a great -script and dont worry about it being PG 13. I wonder what Scarface or The Godfather would be like as a PG 13 movie. Hollyweird has to stop compromising themselves.

Then it wouldn't be Hollywood. :insane:

Those movies were about criminals...Batman is supposed to be a superhero...."supposed" is the key word here :(