• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Cautionary Tale

50 posts in this topic

Someone walks into my shop yesterday and tells me this story.I knew the person so it is 100% true.

He proceeds to tell me how he bought ASM 2-20, "abunch of early ffs and Avengers"for 500 dollars.This stuff was all 9.0-9.6.A very serious collector who passed at 53.

Please let someone know what your books are worth.This person got 150k worth of books for 500 bucks.

On a different note. Until I were to see them myself, I would take this claim with a grain of salt, even though I knew the person. Soooo mannnnnyyyy folks I've known over the years have shared such tales with me, and I've yet to see a single item from these alleged finds.

Until such time, I don't worry about the ethics, because it's most likely an exaggeration or fabrication. BUT, if this one is true please have them list some books here. :wishluck:

I have seen the books.My grading is correct.This was a 30 year collection.He would only buy the best books in town and at shows.

And yes he knew what the books were worth.

ps If you pulled this off would you post any books here?

That says a little something of his character. Not someone I'd like to run into in a dark alley...

lol crisco....

It hurts more cuz I'm taking a statistics final tomorrow!!! :cry:

A rare mid august final? lol

Summer class to make up for the utter FAIL that was my study abroad in Turkey....

Stronguy: Except that my best friend is a Math major Stat minor with a 4.0 and two X chromosomes.......

lol

XXY is a rare genotype. :gossip:

lol crisco....

It hurts more cuz I'm taking a statistics final tomorrow!!! :cry:

A rare mid august final? lol

Summer class to make up for the utter FAIL that was my study abroad in Turkey....

Stronguy: Except that my best friend is a Math major Stat minor with a 4.0 and two X chromosomes.......

lol

XXY is a rare genotype. :gossip:

My cousin is XXY....his functioning level is about that of a 12 year old, and he's almost 18 if I recall correctly... P:

Amadeus: lol

Angela wouldn't know the different between a Pep #22 and an ASM #3.

I once bought a collection from a lady who sister was a customer of mine for many years. The two lived together in the same place for over 60 years. She called me after her sister had passed away from cancer. So I went over to the house and the books were all tied up in bundles with string I'd say a couple thousand books. some of the books on top were .12 cents and other were early and late 80's Cosmic Oddessy ect. Anyway I asked her what should would take for the books and she gave me a number and I said fine...So I get back to the store and myself and the weekend kid start going through the bundles. When all of a sudden we start seeing Avengers 1,2,3,4 Xmen 12,13,14 ect. So I call Charlette back and I said I want to come over and give you another check she was very delighted. But here is the kicker with alot of the books it was like I said Avenger 1-4 the it went to like # 30 so I asked her If she had anymore books and she said when her sister had past away she thought she going to have to move out and she told me she threw out 10 large green garbage bags filled with comics..I'm pretty sure I started to cry. But she was nice enough to let me go threw the rest of the house and between her and I we found quite a few other things of value and we were both quite happy. Unfortionatly she also passed away from cancer. Sorry for such a long story but imo the guy should at least go back and offer some more cash.

I once bought a collection from a lady who sister was a customer of mine for many years. The two lived together in the same place for over 60 years. She called me after her sister had passed away from cancer. So I went over to the house and the books were all tied up in bundles with string I'd say a couple thousand books. some of the books on top were .12 cents and other were early and late 80's Cosmic Oddessy ect. Anyway I asked her what should would take for the books and she gave me a number and I said fine...So I get back to the store and myself and the weekend kid start going through the bundles. When all of a sudden we start seeing Avengers 1,2,3,4 Xmen 12,13,14 ect. So I call Charlette back and I said I want to come over and give you another check she was very delighted. But here is the kicker with alot of the books it was like I said Avenger 1-4 the it went to like # 30 so I asked her If she had anymore books and she said when her sister had past away she thought she going to have to move out and she told me she threw out 10 large green garbage bags filled with comics..I'm pretty sure I started to cry. But she was nice enough to let me go threw the rest of the house and between her and I we found quite a few other things of value and we were both quite happy. Unfortionatly she also passed away from cancer. Sorry for such a long story but imo the guy should at least go back and offer some more cash.

Right. Offer more cash. It is the right thing to do in that situation. Sadly, it's like taking a tragedy and making it even worse for the family.

Someone walks into my shop yesterday and tells me this story.I knew the person so it is 100% true.

He proceeds to tell me how he bought ASM 2-20, "abunch of early ffs and Avengers"for 500 dollars.This stuff was all 9.0-9.6.A very serious collector who passed at 53.

This thread should be called " A Tale of a Scumbag"

Everyone likes to get a good deal, but this is terrible. This guy has no class. No conscience.

Who did he buy them from? A family member or the guys landlord. If the guy had no family and it was the landlord getting rid of a dead tenants propert, why does he deserver to be enriched? You folks are making an awful lot of assumptions.

Please let someone know what your books are worth.This person got 150k worth of books for 500 bucks.

On a different note. Until I were to see them myself, I would take this claim with a grain of salt, even though I knew the person. Soooo mannnnnyyyy folks I've known over the years have shared such tales with me, and I've yet to see a single item from these alleged finds.

Until such time, I don't worry about the ethics, because it's most likely an exaggeration or fabrication. BUT, if this one is true please have them list some books here. :wishluck:

I have seen the books.My grading is correct.This was a 30 year collection.He would only buy the best books in town and at shows.

And yes he knew what the books were worth.

ps If you pulled this off would you post any books here?

So you DID see them? Wow, then. Would I post books here for show? Sure. Would I sell them here? I'd try, but I probably wouldn't move any based upon the success of my recent sales thread. lol

Seriously though, it's a tough one. Are they really worth $150K? If so, then the seller made a huge mistake. If the buyer mislead them then shame on him, but if they bought it for the asking price then all is fair in love and war. I won't comment any further about the ethics because who knows what I would have done had I been the buyer. It's easy to preach morals when you're not involved.

Regardless, I'm saddened for the sellers and thrilled for the buyer...