• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When/Why should I change Inter - Leaving Sheets

5 posts in this topic

Hello, please indulge me, I know that there have been tons of threads on oils, leeching, transarency etc... but my post pertains mainly on the sheets themselves.

CGC puts a nice interleave sheet between covers, and comic, and I have seen them for sale here.. Eclipse Paper

I personally have not bought any as of yet. But I do have these questions

#1 Are they worth it? How many people here use/buy interleaving sheets for their presonal collection?.And just for high end books?

#2 If these sheets do indeed absorb oils leeched from your comic, how often should they be changed, disposed of? 7-8 years?? And if you dont change them are you doing more harm then good after many years of storage?

#3 Is this why CGC reccommends re-slabbing a comic after 7-8 years? to replace the interleave sheet?

#4 The older the comic, the more oils being released? or does age not matter?

And finnally since these sheets help to absorb oils, are they actually drawing out more oils then would normally come out??, and then making the comic more brittle over time?

Thanks in advance for any posters that will repost any info on this subject. for me

Zeman

I suspect they may not even be certain themselves - seeing as the composition of newsprint (which, as you know, was meant to be perishable rather than long term) varies from comic to comic (or even within the same comic) - with each era using different types of paper constituents.

The 7 year thing is probably an educated guess. Ask the Library of Congress or the British Museum - they'd know all there is to know about archival or microchamber papers' effects on newsprint in a sealed micro - environment like a CGC well.

Hello, please indulge me, I know that there have been tons of threads on oils, leeching, transarency etc... but my post pertains mainly on the sheets themselves.

CGC puts a nice interleave sheet between covers, and comic, and I have seen them for sale here.. Eclipse Paper

I personally have not bought any as of yet. But I do have these questions

There have been several discussions on this topic in the past. Sorry, I don't have link.

#1 Are they worth it? How many people here use/buy interleaving sheets for their presonal collection?.And just for high end books?

The only book I own that have the paper are CGC graded. I personally couldn't care less about it.

#2 If these sheets do indeed absorb oils leeched from your comic, how often should they be changed, disposed of? 7-8 years?? And if you dont change them are you doing more harm then good after many years of storage?

They are supposed to absorb gases, not oil as far as I know. CGC has stated that they think the paper loses it's effectiveness after about 7 years, and at that point it becomes ineffective, but not harmful.

#3 Is this why CGC reccommends re-slabbing a comic after 7-8 years? to replace the interleave sheet?

Yes, that's why they recommend it. They have never given any other reason that I'm aware of.

#4 The older the comic, the more oils being released? or does age not matter?

Again, it's gases, not oils as far as I know. As for the age question I have no idea and I don't recall ever hearing or reading a definitive answer to that question.

And finnally since these sheets help to absorb oils, are they actually drawing out more oils then would normally come out??, and then making the comic more brittle over time?

Again, gas, not oil. The paper is supposed to absorb gases that are released naturally. As far as I know the paper doesn't "encourage" the release of the gases.

well, I too thought it was gasses, but this website always refers to it as "oils?"

below is a exerpt from the eclipse paper website link pasted above

With our interleaving sheets, you can prevent your books from looking dull and lifeless. By preventing the oils from migrating to the covers, you can preserve the original look and luster of your entire collection! We charge $50 a book to remove the oils from covers, you can spend the same amount and prevent 50 books from ever needing treatment!!!