• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Would You Handle This Bid Retraction?

22 posts in this topic

On one of my movie posters the sole bidder so far made a bid retraction with the reason "Cannot contact the seller". I thought there was an ebay issue with Messages so emailed him this:

"Your bid retraction says "Cannot contact the seller". Please let me know how you tried to contact me. I check my auctions and eBay Messages several times daily and have not received anything from you. If there is a problem with people trying to contact me I'd like to get it worked out ASAP.

Thanks very much,"

His reply was this:

"Unfortunately ebay does not allow a person to state their real reason for the retraction. They only give you 3 choices and none made sense. I selected the one of least resistance. I retracted it because I bid too fast and looked at the close up pictures today. I realized that I could not display it as is, and the cost of linen backing was too much for this poster.

I am sorry for the reason but if you go to the ebay site map and try to retract any bid you made (you don't have to retract it) but just go there and you will see what I am talking about.

Again, I am sorry but it was the easiest one to check off."

What I really do not like is that it sounds like I was unresponsive or unreachable as a seller.

I have not replied back yet. This all happened today. How would you handle it? Re-list to remove the retraction comment? Report to ebay? Add them to blocked bidder?

Auction is here. Is the description clear enough?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230513318898&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D230513318898%2B%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Block their sorry azz.

You can edit your listing to respond to the fool is you wish.

In the end, most people don't give a about these retractions unless there is lots of bidding on it.

xoxo

greggy

personally, I would just let it go.

Ditto. (shrug)

Yeah. No biggie. I'd rather have a guy retract a bid mid auction then turn into a deadbeat after he's won it.

In fact, I actually have a situation a few years ago when I contacted someone who had retracted his bid on a book I was offering. Turns out his reach exceeded his grasp on that particular high dollar item, but that didn't stop me from eventually selling him a few hundred dollars of other material down the road.

A little understanding can go a long way. (thumbs u

personally, I would just let it go.

Ditto. (shrug)

Yeah. No biggie. I'd rather have a guy retract a bid mid auction then turn into a deadbeat after he's won it.

In fact, I actually have a situation a few years ago when I contacted someone who had retracted his bid on a book I was offering. Turns out his reach exceeded his grasp on that particular high dollar item, but that didn't stop me from eventually selling him a few hundred dollars of other material down the road.

A little understanding can go a long way. (thumbs u

As I tried to explain, this particular bid retraction makes it sound like he, as a buyer, could not communicate with me. That is what is giving me pause - not the fact he retracted the bid. I've had bids retracted before and they don't bother me. I don't like it because he elected to use a lie about me as his reason for retracting the bid.

As I tried to explain, this particular bid retraction makes it sound like he, as a buyer, could not communicate with me. That is what is giving me pause - not the fact he retracted the bid. I've had bids retracted before and they don't bother me. I don't like it because he elected to use a lie about me as his reason for retracting the bid.

Nobody is going to look at bid history when there have been zero bids :shrug:

Nobody is going to look at bid history when there have been zero bids :shrug:

Agreed. You could always update your item description addressing it if it's really bothering you.

I had problems with a seller once and when I negged him he lied about our exchanges. After much whining and complaining and trying to get eBay to get the comments retracted I vented a bit on public forums and such and then just let it slide because in the end my overall feedback for both buying and selling was good enough that if people cared to look they would know that the comments were just blowing smoke.

If you felt so inclined just post the exchange in an addendum of the listing. IMO though it is just better to move on with the confidence that your existing record more than proves that you are a stand-up guy. I am fairly certain that the path of least resistance this individual chose will come back to haunt him more than you.

That is Ebay's fault. You used to be able to type in your own reason, but they switched to 3 canned responses, as the bidder said. I've done the same thing - retracted a bid because of fraud, but "seller is a fraud" isn't one of the choices. You just pick one reason (doesn't matter which one) because you can't retract without picking a reason.

That is Ebay's fault. You used to be able to type in your own reason, but they switched to 3 canned responses, as the bidder said. I've done the same thing - retracted a bid because of fraud, but "seller is a fraud" isn't one of the choices. You just pick one reason (doesn't matter which one) because you can't retract without picking a reason.

Or as eBay also says:

"If you can’t retract a bid, you can contact the seller to request that your bid be canceled. The decision to cancel a bid is up to the seller."

Turns out I know the bidder and we have talked in email. Told him he should have taken the route of asking me to cancel it.

I honestly don't think anyone will bother looking with no other bids. I didn't even know you could see this information.

Why cut out a potential future customer? Movie posters are a niche enough area as it is. Maybe he saw the auction first on his iphone and didn't see the details well until he looked at it on his PC?

How would you handle it?

Go for the garrotte. It's the Sicilian way of "working things out."

Nt5-4102133._f125_250.jpg

(:

I would just :slapfight:

Nah - I like the garrote. Thanks to my musical pursuit on sitar and rudra veena, I have a wide variety of large coils of wire:

Steel Wire

.009", .010", .012", .014", .018"

Phosphor/Bronze Wire

.016", .022", .028", .040"

Flat Wound Phosphor/Bronze:

Flat Wound Nickel

.030", .032", .040"

Each brings their own unique personality! So many from which to choose.