• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The end of Daredevil....really...I Mean...are they serious.

69 posts in this topic

Shame. I read Daredevil from the relaunch and honestly thought the Bendis/Brubaker run from 16 to about 94 (when I stopped) were the best Daredevil books ever, even putting both Miller's runs to shame.

I dropped the title when Brubaker left. At least I don't seem to have missed anything.

Last major relaunch I remember was his new costume back in the early 90s--think that lasted less than two years.

Was that 'Fall From Grace', the arc with early Scott McDaniel work and the armoured costume design? I remember some dealers trying to hype the book because his style was 'Miller-like'. I thought the art was absolutely horrible and the comic itself unreadable.

I dropped the title for the first time in a decade with this new shadowland arc and creative team. So, for my money I'd rather see it end than stagger on like a zombie pumped full of awfulness. Still, I'm upset that they pushed it to this point. It was so good for so long and then it took this crazy turn for the worse.
:lol: I felt that way with Frank Miller........,

It's really similar, actually. Except this run was much longer than Miller's. We're talking 26-120 (aka 500) and then it falls of a cliff. I dropped it in the middle of the second arc.

Shame. I read Daredevil from the relaunch and honestly thought the Bendis/Brubaker run from 16 to about 94 (when I stopped) were the best Daredevil books ever, even putting both Miller's runs to shame.

I dropped the title when Brubaker left. At least I don't seem to have missed anything.

You made the right choice. The titled DIED a horrible quality death when Brubaker left the title.

zzz

+1,000. the house of no ideas

Sounds similar to Batman R.I.P. which sounds similar to Captain America Reborn which sounds similar to Batman Knightfall. There really is no point collecting new runs on these titles anymore as they always get rebooted with a new number 1,example how many Avengers books have there been since 2000 or the one new title that was a hit Ultimate Spider-man even got rebooted. Just buy a nice trade paperback to read your favorite comic book characters adventures. Sales are now what 50,000 a month for X-men and Batman? Lets all give a big thank you that Hollywood came along and made some good movies of these characters to keep interest alive because not many people are reading comics. Something has to be done or comicbook collecting will end up as popular as collecting insert blank. The industry keeps regurgitating the same ideas over and over like lets make a number 1(people will buy it as a collectors item) and variant covers(didn`t that fail in the 1990`s?) Eventually Disney the new owners of Marvel will see these low sales and will want to step in and fix it, I just hope it`s for the better and not the worse. :wishluck:

zzz

:insane: Ain't that the truth and nothing but the truth.

I think many of us have been collecting long enough to realise this is just the usual illusion of change that we've seen much too often before and are, as a result, too jaded to believe or to care about its permanence.

I noticed on Comic Book Resources that there are several characters being promoted as the next Daredevil. They could do a 'Reign of the Daredevils' storyline with this group.

Hang on... no, I'm still bored... zzz

They did that allready

superman_isback_4supermen_1993_2720.jpg

lol

They had GREAT storytelling 10 issues ago. Bendis/Maleev, then Brubaker +etc. was the best run of the title since Miller's and you can make a case that it's the best run the title has ever had.

Marvel just likes to "shake things up."

They had GREAT storytelling 10 issues ago. Bendis/Maleev, then Brubaker +etc. was the best run of the title since Miller's and you can make a case that it's the best run the title has ever had.

That's not it.

The problem is that readership of comics is so low, that when a title like Daredevil has great writing going for it, the numbers stay about the same every month.

A corporation sees that as stagnant. Stockholders see that as stagnant. They could care less about 'story' and what's 'good' or 'bad' or even what makes sense. We are consumers to them, and these books look dull on a profit bar graph.

So when the COMPANY decides to kill a character, or relaunch a book, or whatever gimmick they've used a million times over, it's simply saying: SEND MORE MONEY. We're SURE you'll turn the EXTRA copies of this book you BUY and put on eBay. You make our STOCKHOLDERS happy. Keep up the good work!

That's not it.

The problem is that readership of comics is so low, that when a title like Daredevil has great writing going for it, the numbers stay about the same every month.

A corporation sees that as stagnant. Stockholders see that as stagnant. They could care less about 'story' and what's 'good' or 'bad' or even what makes sense. We are consumers to them, and these books look dull on a profit bar graph.

So when the COMPANY decides to kill a character, or relaunch a book, or whatever gimmick they've used a million times over, it's simply saying: SEND MORE MONEY. We're SURE you'll turn the EXTRA copies of this book you BUY and put on eBay. You make our STOCKHOLDERS happy. Keep up the good work!

^^

That's not it.

I wasn't actually offering "shake things up" as an explanation for anything, hence the ironic quotes. But... thanks for explaining to me how publishing works and about the the pressure shareholders can exert on publicly traded companies. I was completely in the dark on both of those points before tonight.

I wasn't actually offering "shake things up" as an explanation for anything, hence the ironic quotes. But... thanks for explaining to me how publishing works and about the the pressure shareholders can exert on publicly traded companies. I was completely in the dark on both of those points before tonight.

And I wasn't directing that at you; if it came across that way, I apologize.

zzz

:insane: Ain't that the truth and nothing but the truth.

I think many of us have been collecting long enough to realise this is just the usual illusion of change that we've seen much too often before and are, as a result, too jaded to believe or to care about its permanence.

I noticed on Comic Book Resources that there are several characters being promoted as the next Daredevil. They could do a 'Reign of the Daredevils' storyline with this group.

Hang on... no, I'm still bored... zzz

They did that allready

superman_isback_4supermen_1993_2720.jpg

Thanks for pointing out this Superman storyline. Of course, in order for me to make a 'Reign of...' comment I must already have been aware of its existence. doh!

And I wasn't directing that at you; if it came across that way, I apologize.

Thanks, no worries. It definitely did come across as if it was directed at me, but if it wasn't meant for me than that's cool.