• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sgt Fury #1 war or super-hero comic?

122 posts in this topic

Rather than starting a Club thread (no-one would let me in one anyway), I thought I'd start a thread on something I've been pondering since the latest OS came out.

The "War Report" in the latest OS includes Sgt Fury #1 as the 10th ranked Atom and Silver Age War comic, yet Nick Fury is to many modern comic readers more thought of as part of the super-hero universe.

In a similar way to Captain America Comics #1 not being deemed a War comic due to a super-hero's involvement will Sgt Fury #1 lose its War Comic status?

With his growing and some may say pivotal importance in the Marvel Universe (especially in the "Marvel Film Universe") I see this happening sooner rather than later.

Comments appreciated.

The Overstreet "War Report" ....hmmph!

I stopped reading that when the correspondents there said that the "War Before Time" books were overrated. I tell you, there are forces at work that want to discount those great stories (and other fantasy-oriented war tales) because they are not worthy of the quality of realistic story telling found in the rest of the BIG 5...Why I oughta...

Oh, pardon my rant...as for Sgt Fury, even though Nick teamed up with Cap & Bucky and met Reed & Ben once or twice, that book is still 100% a war book...IMHO. With regards to Nick Fury, Agent of Shield -- I would say that would be closer to a super-hero than a straight espionage book.

Bill

War.

But I have a thought...I'm wondering that when the Fury character was created, did Lee & Company actually know that the long term goal was to evolve his character and cross from war to the superhero genre? I know for some titles there were planned arcs/ramifications that took years to develop...Did they map it out that early? hm

I think Marvel were at the time very much fly by the seat of their pants.

I believe Fury evolved into an Agent of Shield as a response to the James Bond craze with Hydra being the equivalent of Spectre.

Forever?

Sure. Since there are no superhero elements in it, I think it's safe to call it war, even though the main character evolved into a superspy later on down the line.

May have no elements in the first issue but as notes earlier he does meet up with Cap and Bucky which were excluded from the War category due to super-hero involvement. Hence do you exclude the entire series from the War category and make it a super-hero book?

Forever?

Sure. Since there are no superhero elements in it, I think it's safe to call it war, even though the main character evolved into a superspy later on down the line.

May have no elements in the first issue but as notes earlier he does meet up with Cap and Bucky which were excluded from the War category due to super-hero involvement. Hence do you exclude the entire series from the War category and make it a super-hero book?

Get back to your vacation.

Forever?

Get back to your vacation.

Start work on Wednesday - 3 months sure do go quickly!

War.

But I have a thought...I'm wondering that when the Fury character was created, did Lee & Company actually know that the long term goal was to evolve his character and cross from war to the superhero genre? I know for some titles there were planned arcs/ramifications that took years to develop...Did they map it out that early? hm

In Son Of Origins Of Marvel Comics, Stan said that the S.H.I.E.L.D series was a response to readers' questions about what happened to Fury after WWII, and also inspired by the James Bond movies and Man From UNCLE TV series. It doesn't sound as if Stan had envisioned a place for Fury in the '60s Marvel Universe when he first created the character.

War.

In Son Of Origins Of Marvel Comics, Stan said that the S.H.I.E.L.D series was a response to readers' questions about what happened to Fury after WWII, and also inspired by the James Bond movies and Man From UNCLE TV series. It doesn't sound as if Stan had envisioned a place for Fury in the '60s Marvel Universe when he first created the character.

:thumbsup:

Thanks if I ever can procure a copy of it I will check it out

War.

Agree that Sgt Fury #1 from a historic perspective should be a war book if viewed on a stand alone basis but his evolvement over time may color this view.

Forever?

Yes, but does one appearance...in the context of WWII, no less...make the entire title "superhero"...?

I don't think that's the case.

I don't have my set in front of me, but isn't that the only time in the 160 or so issues the series ran that a "superhero" even appeared? Sans Ben Grimm pre-Thing?

Haven't got mine in front of me either.

I would generally agree with you that looking at Sgt Fury in isolation I would call it a war book but I feel that over time people do and will view Fury as a "super-hero".

Question will then be whether they view Sgt Fury #1 as the first appearance of the Super-hero (like TTA #27) or view Strange Tales #135 or Nick Fury Agent of Shield as the first super-hero Nick Fury (unlike TTA #35)?