• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

I just finished watching the episode last night, 3 days after it aired. What I dont do is come into a thread I know where the show will be discussed because there's a possibility of seeing a spoiler without the spoiler tag, therefore spoiling the episode that I dont want spoiled.

Anyways, here's my thoughts. I'm sure they've been discussed already but I havent read the last 30 pages of this thread.

Two big problems with this episode, there is absolutely no way they would have taken out those soldiers so quickly. The soldiers were already living on a post as the pilot described so they already were surviving and would have had a perimeter in place with fields of fire for each man, the governor wouldn't have been able to just drive up without being stopped or his car shot up. These guys are trained to deal with all sorts of caca, they wouldn't have been all sitting around in one spot together.

It could have led to an interesting story arc, the governor and his men are repelled, each side possibly losing a couple of men and now you have Rick, the governor, and the soldiers out there not knowing who to trust.

Second part was I agree with is that they should have eased into the governor and his brutality; gradually. Maybe even lead the viewers in believing he really is a good guy. Someone in his position would have to rule with an ironed fist but they didn’t have to jump the gun.

Yeah, that was way too easy. Not one of them even returned fire. They just stood there. Weak.

I re-watched this a few time and as far as I could tell, as soon as the Governor fires his shot, it goes into slow motion. I think the whole shootout only took a few seconds, and considering the soldiers had their guard down it was all the time they needed. I think from first to last shot 2-3 seconds? The Governors guys had them locked in, they couldn't do anything.

Edited by Phillip

I just finished watching the episode last night, 3 days after it aired. What I dont do is come into a thread I know where the show will be discussed because there's a possibility of seeing a spoiler without the spoiler tag, therefore spoiling the episode that I dont want spoiled.

Anyways, here's my thoughts. I'm sure they've been discussed already but I havent read the last 30 pages of this thread.

Two big problems with this episode, there is absolutely no way they would have taken out those soldiers so quickly. The soldiers were already living on a post as the pilot described so they already were surviving and would have had a perimeter in place with fields of fire for each man, the governor wouldn't have been able to just drive up without being stopped or his car shot up. These guys are trained to deal with all sorts of caca, they wouldn't have been all sitting around in one spot together.

It could have led to an interesting story arc, the governor and his men are repelled, each side possibly losing a couple of men and now you have Rick, the governor, and the soldiers out there not knowing who to trust.

Second part was I agree with is that they should have eased into the governor and his brutality; gradually. Maybe even lead the viewers in believing he really is a good guy. Someone in his position would have to rule with an ironed fist but they didn’t have to jump the gun.

Yeah, that was way too easy. Not one of them even returned fire. They just stood there. Weak.

I re-watched this a few time and as far as I could tell, as soon as the Governor fires his shot, it goes into slow motion. I think the whole shootout only took a few seconds, and considering the soldiers had their guard down it was all the time they needed. I think from first to last shot 2-3 seconds? The Governors guys had them locked in, they couldn't do anything.

I'm not so sure about not being able to do anything. Overall, there was no perimeter. Guns down in a post-apocalyptic world? I don't think so. The Gov coming up on them like that dressed like Han Solo and all brought no suspicion? He could've been bit. I think the episode was a good one, but this scene portrayed the NG a little weak.

I'm not so sure about not being able to do anything. Overall, there was no perimeter. Guns down in a post-apocalyptic world? I don't think so. The Gov coming up on them like that dressed like Han Solo and all brought no suspicion? He could've been bit. I think the episode was a good one, but this scene portrayed the NG a little weak.

The Governor had precise information about their pilot. What else were they suppose to do, say "we don't believe you"? These military guys just got out of a closed community. They have NO idea what kind of people are alive and what they're capable of. He got them to let their guard down so his men surrounding them could open fire. What's so hard to believe? :shrug:

The Governor had precise information about their pilot. What else were they suppose to do, say "we don't believe you"? These military guys just got out of a closed community. They have NO idea what kind of people are alive and what they're capable of. He got them to let their guard down so his men surrounding them could open fire. What's so hard to believe? :shrug:

The military guys would have more information about the situation than regular civilians like the governor and Rick, hell Rick and the rest have almost no information about what happened. It would have probably been easy to say that the post they were on was in communication with other posts so the flow of information would have been going both ways about what they were hearing or seeing.

One thing about the military is that they have a chain of command and rules, which is why as soon as they saw the car driving up they would have automatically gotten into defensive positions. Plus the governors men were way too close, that would mean that they crawled into position possibly an hour before the governor even showed up, you cant tell me that the soliders would not have noticed them get that close.

I can understand that I'm getting into too much detail but I'd like a little bit of common sense. Just a little.

The military guys would have more information about the situation than regular civilians like the governor and Rick, hell Rick and the rest have almost no information about what happened. It would have probably been easy to say that the post they were on was in communication with other posts so the flow of information would have been going both ways about what they were hearing or seeing.

One thing about the military is that they have a chain of command and rules, which is why as soon as they saw the car driving up they would have automatically gotten into defensive positions. Plus the governors men were way too close, that would mean that they crawled into position possibly an hour before the governor even showed up, you cant tell me that the soliders would not have noticed them get that close.

I can understand that I'm getting into too much detail but I'd like a little bit of common sense. Just a little.

But you're assuming that these guys did know more than everyone else. How would the posts communicate, morse code perhaps?

It seems that the apocalypse left most people, even people of some authority, completely disoriented, as it should of.

If only the soldiers knew that "calm cool and collected" = trouble.

Edited by Phillip

But you're assuming that these guys did know more than everyone else. How would the posts communicate, morse code perhaps?

Radio or landline. Bases/Posts do have generators that run on gasoline and bases/posts do have their own fuel supplies. They also have command posts where all communications would go through, they have backup plans in case of emergencies. They're small cities that can be self-sustained for months/years if they ration the right way.

Remember they did also have a helicopter, HMMWVs and Dueces, so they probably had tanks, etc. No amount of zombies would be able to slow down an M1.

If the governor and Rick can be driving around all over Georgia with a seemingly endless supply of fuel and shooting zombies every chance they get with an endless supply of ammo you can bet any military post will have 3 to 4 times more supplies at their disposal.

In the heat of things, I doubt rationing would pan out. And the group the soldiers came from ended up becoming zombie fodder. The corporal from the group was reading a physical map when the Governor showed up, so id image their technology is down.

What about the tank in Atlanta in the first episode though? That got overrun easily. I think the idea of a tank is great, but we forget that it's a part of the military system. It would be hard for a tank, or even a small group of vehicles to keep going by themselves with no cooperation from the main HQ over a long period of time - especially when the world is full of people trying to eat you.

Edited by Phillip

What's hard to believe is the not securing their perimeter and letting their guard down. They're soldiers. They got crept on by "self trained" peeps? hm

What's hard to believe is the not securing their perimeter and letting their guard down. They're soldiers. They got crept on by "self trained" peeps? hm

That is pretty weak. You would imagine that they would have been a little more cautious with strangers by this time.

Yep, that bothered me after watching it.

That is pretty weak. You would imagine that they would have been a little more cautious with strangers by this time.

Like I said before. They have NO idea what kind of people are alive and what they're capable of. They were in a safe haven for an extended period of time before this. They haven't been living in the "real" world for as long as these other survivors.

In the end though, we can reason it all we want, but the fact remains that they let their guard down very easily and all died because of it.

Like I said before. They have NO idea what kind of people are alive and what they're capable of. They were in a safe haven for an extended period of time before this. They haven't been living in the "real" world for as long as these other survivors.

In the end though, we can reason it all we want, but the fact remains that they let their guard down very easily and all died because of it.

I agree with your last statement but to say they have NO idea what kind of people are out there is wacko.

Like I said before, they would know more about what's going on because Martial Law would have been declared probably as soon as things started going to caca. They would have had tons of more insight on to what was going on than Rick or the governor. They had a friggin helicopter, you dont think they were flying around surveying the area?

I'm also curious as to where the line would be drawn between potential residents and enemies.

Andrea and Michonne were armed to the teeth but were allowed to stay as guests.

Merle was allowed to become part of the community

The military guys could have been valuable if the governor played up the savior angle.

I do realize that his actions help keep the other residents in line out of fear of what's outside, though

I'm also curious as to where the line would be drawn between potential residents and enemies.

Andrea and Michonne were armed to the teeth but were allowed to stay as guests.

Merle was allowed to become part of the community

The military guys could have been valuable if the governor played up the savior angle.

I do realize that his actions help keep the other residents in line out of fear of what's outside, though

True. Although, Andrea was sick. Merle was hurt. The chopper pilot was hurt. Maybe he does have some compassion for those that are hurt. The other soldiers seemed healthy and as Chris pointed out, they may have been more of a threat than valuable resources. And it wasn't clear if the Gov offed the chopper pilot.

From a psychological curiosity, I'm wondering how he chooses who gets to go into his tank and what the common factor is withing the tanks. hm

I was under the impression the soldiers were Weekend Warriors aka National Guard Troops hence they got taken out very easily

As for Andrea and Michonne being accepted I think they posses something the troops didn't that the Governor will want for his "New" society. Female reproductive parts!

Plus, the military would present a threat to his authority.

Ya gotta believe he's watching Michonne and Andrea like a hawk and if they show any signs of not bowing down then I expect him to take action even though they have what he needs for a new society.

Just my 2 cents

Ian