• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Walking Dead" Trailer

66 posts in this topic

I can't wait! Kinda wish it was in black and white, but hey whatever...

Why? Is there reason to believe the decision to not color the comic has more to do with aesthetic than financial considerations? I don't really know the answer to that, I'm just wondering. (shrug)

Why? Is there reason to believe the decision to not color the comic has more to do with aesthetic than financial considerations? I don't really know the answer to that, I'm just wondering. (shrug)

I kinda thought that with the comic they were doing it in b&w to give props to George Romero's "Night of the Living Dead"

I kinda thought that with the comic they were doing it in b&w to give props to George Romero's "Night of the Living Dead"

Thats kinda how I heard it, It was certainly B&W for aesthetic reasons rather than financial. I am hoping that the Blu Ray, when released as a B&W option like the mist (shrug)

Thats kinda how I heard it, It was certainly B&W for aesthetic reasons rather than financial. I am hoping that the Blu Ray, when released as a B&W option like the Fog (shrug)

Did Romero have an artistic reason for using black and white, or was his budget low and B&W cameras were still cheaper back then?

Thats kinda how I heard it, It was certainly B&W for aesthetic reasons rather than financial. I am hoping that the Blu Ray, when released as a B&W option like the Fog (shrug)

Did Romero have an artistic reason for using black and white, or was his budget low and B&W cameras were still cheaper back then?

From Wikipedia:

"The small budget led Romero to shoot on 35 mm black-and-white film. The completed film ultimately benefited from the decision, as film historian Joseph Maddrey describes the black-and-white filming as "guerrilla-style", resembling "the unflinching authority of a wartime newsreel". Maddrey adds, it "seem as much like a documentary on the loss of social stability as an exploitation film"."

"The small budget led Romero to shoot on 35 mm black-and-white film. The completed film ultimately benefited from the decision, as film historian Joseph Maddrey describes the black-and-white filming as "guerrilla-style", resembling "the unflinching authority of a wartime newsreel". Maddrey adds, it "seem as much like a documentary on the loss of social stability as an exploitation film"."

Wartime newsreels in black and white I'm sure were more common back then, but certainly not now. Doesn't sound like a great reason to do Walking Dead--the comic or the show--in black and white. I think black and white film may be MORE expensive today than it would have been for Romero since they don't even make those cameras anymore, but certainly having Walking Dead be popular in black and white is a huge cost savings for Image Comics.

Wartime newsreels in black and white I'm sure were more common back then, but certainly not now. Doesn't sound like a great reason to do Walking Dead--the comic or the show--in black and white. I think black and white film may be MORE expensive today than it would have been for Romero since they don't even make those cameras anymore, but certainly having Walking Dead be popular in black and white is a huge cost savings for Image Comics.

You don't need black and white cameras to film Black and white. It's all in the stock, the camera settings or the post production.

This whole concept of waking up and everyone is dead/zombie has been beatin to death.

Alex Garland wrote the -script to 28 Days Later in 2003 and wrote a similar book the year after called Coma.

I was thinking the exact same thing before I read the comic...but it really is well written, compelling stuff.

its well worth it... if your interested AMC has the 1st issue as a motion comic on their site... but thats like a tease... it really picks up... and is well written... its persons stuck in a bad situation... how they work it out... with zombies

mmm my buddy keeps pushing me to buy the Vol 1 Compendium - everyone seems to enjoy it. (amazon has is decently priced too)

It's awesome. That is coming from someone who typically doesn't like zombie stuff. But the book is very character-driven. You should give in and pick it up.

This whole concept of waking up and everyone is dead/zombie has been beatin to death.

Alex Garland wrote the -script to 28 Days Later in 2003 and wrote a similar book the year after called Coma.

It's a standard literary device that's been in use long before 28 days later or WD came around.

It allows the author to put his protagonist in the same shoes as the reader and allows them to discover at the same time what has occurred and creates tension in discovery of the unknown.

It also allows for the story to be laid out by other characters to the protagonist in such a way that it is not awkward or stilted being that if he had been awake through all of the events he would not need anyone to explain them to him (and the audience).

I would not get too hung up on the similarities between Kirkman's version and Garland's. They both stole the basic device from literature that came before them and adapted it for their needs.

It's just well-crafted with great characters, solid writing, interesting plots, etc. You won't think it's the most revolutionary and best thing you've ever read, but it does suck you in and is a terrific read. The writing is on par with that of Ennis, Bendis, etc, but set in a zombie apocalypse world which is, as you pointed out, not new.

It's awesome. That is coming from someone who typically doesn't like zombie stuff. But the book is very character-driven. You should give in and pick it up.

Yea, the characters are what make it compelling. Having seen the trailer, I'm wondering if the show will up that ante with great music, effects, and directing. :wishluck:

I was thinking the exact same thing before I read the comic...but it really is well written, compelling stuff.

yeah that was thoughts exactly when I read the TPB for WD...

why didn't they create a better/different intro than 28 Days?

hm

28 days later.....June 2003.

Kirkman pitch to Image including a handmade comic with Moore art.... BEFORE June 2003.

Besides...Day of the Triffids 1951 predates them both and used almost exactly the same plot device.

Thats kinda how I heard it, It was certainly B&W for aesthetic reasons rather than financial. I am hoping that the Blu Ray, when released as a B&W option like the mist (shrug)

I just think B&W works really well for the book and adds to the mood regardless of whether the original reason was financial. I'm sure it will be fine in color on TV.