• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August C-Link Featured Auction Thread...

241 posts in this topic

I never seen so many nice copies of House of Secrets 92 sold in one shot like that. There was a 9.6, 9.4, 9.2, 9.0, and 8.5 that looked really nice.

Especially the low prices.

I logged in too late to check the sales, but you are right. HOLY!

Some continuation of recent price implosion trends:

The Duck implosion--9.4 FC #386, with white pages, sold for $10,925, even less than the $13,145 that another 9.4 copy sold for on Heritage just earlier this month.

Part of the further decline was undoubtedly because it's just a bad idea to sell Ducks on Comiclink, but it appears this book is still looking for a bottom.This was consistently a $20K+ book just a few years ago.

The JLA implosion--9.6 JLA #33 sold for $728, and would've sold for less if I hadn't been the underbidder at $678. This is the same copy that I sold on Heritage in February 2009 for $1673.

As a buyer I think ComicLink is a great place for people to sell Ducks as they always seem to close pretty low. I won my first two Ducks today and could not believe I got Uncle Scrooge #2 for only 45% of Overstreet, especially when there are only 10 copies in VF or above. (I do feel sorry for the seller). I was hoping to get Uncle Scrooge 1 cheaper than the $1,550 it closed for but still I think it is a fair price (had I know the 9.4 would close so low I might have gone for it).

Besides the previous 5 books I won I picked these two up in the last part of the auction today at very reasonable prices.

That was a real good price for the Marvel Spotlight #5 you won! (thumbs u

I never seen so many nice copies of House of Secrets 92 sold in one shot like that. There was a 9.6, 9.4, 9.2, 9.0, and 8.5 that looked really nice.

The 8.5 did ok at $385, but the 9.0 went for the lowest price since 2006. :eek:

Summer seems to be the best time to buy certain books. :grin:

Swampies as a whole are in the toilet for some reason.

Some continuation of recent price implosion trends:

The Duck implosion--9.4 FC #386, with white pages, sold for $10,925, even less than the $13,145 that another 9.4 copy sold for on Heritage just earlier this month.

Part of the further decline was undoubtedly because it's just a bad idea to sell Ducks on Comiclink, but it appears this book is still looking for a bottom.This was consistently a $20K+ book just a few years ago.

The JLA implosion--9.6 JLA #33 sold for $728, and would've sold for less if I hadn't been the underbidder at $678. This is the same copy that I sold on Heritage in February 2009 for $1673.

As a buyer I think ComicLink is a great place for people to sell Ducks as they always seem to close pretty low. I won my first two Ducks today and could not believe I got Uncle Scrooge #2 for only 45% of Overstreet, especially when there are only 10 copies in VF or above. (I do feel sorry for the seller). I was hoping to get Uncle Scrooge 1 cheaper than the $1,550 it closed for but still I think it is a fair price (had I know the 9.4 would close so low I might have gone for it).

Besides the previous 5 books I won I picked these two up in the last part of the auction today at very reasonable prices.

That was a real good price for the Marvel Spotlight #5 you won! (thumbs u

Yup I was fairly happy. I got 7 books (Dec 38, FC 386, 456, FF 57, 66, Marvel Spotlight 5, Silver Surfer 1) and forget about GPA I even got them collectively below Overstreet.

Yet somehow everything I bid high on based on GPA's I lost. Go figure.

Who won the FF 3 CGC 8? I threw in a much higher bid then the last 3 that sold in the past year went for and still lost?

Is the run War books have been on lately just catch up to where they should have been or are they just the book of the moment and at some point will be out of favor? Because everysince Marlow sold his run on Heritage, this genre has been smoking.

Keith reactivated that market, at least to an extent.

I think it`s several factors. One is people woke up to how incredibly hard the earlier SA and Atomic issues are to find in high grade. Another is they realized how incredibly great a lot of the artwork was, particularly the covers. Finally, Marlow has been back in the market for earlier issues and has been paying some stunning prices, and other collectors have had to raise their game accordingly.

The Showcase here is really tough in 9.4 (only 2 copies, and I remember the last time a 9.4 copy came up for public sale, it was a long time ago), is essential for the Sgt Rock completist, and features a great Heath cover.

Too much supply. :gossip:

:wishluck:

Just until I get a House of Secrets 92, 9.2-9.4

Well this was definitely your chance. There were so many copies that they effectively drove the prices down across the board.

Tell me about it. But unfortunately, it was just bad timing financially.

:frustrated:

:wishluck:

Just until I get a House of Secrets 92, 9.2-9.4

Well this was definitely your chance. There were so many copies that they effectively drove the prices down across the board.

Tell me about it. But unfortunately, it was just bad timing financially.

:frustrated:

The weird thing is I've sold a half dozen copies of HOS 92 in the last year and they always sell briskly. It had to be the quantity that drove down prices.

Yo,yo...

I'm 1 for 5 so far... won this...

ds777.jpg

There is a few comics I'm interested in that are ending in tonights lots on C-LINK, however I'm not going to have access to a computer all night.

Does anyone know of a automatic bid/sniper site for C-LINK that I could use to place the bids for me when I'm gone?

Thanks

But I think that in time, if people can get past the stigma and appreciate a book like this for what it really is...perhaps the most popular comic book of all-time, preserved better than most of the remaining copies in existence...it will be hard for people to want to continue to pay 15X the price (or if it dropped to 4K like you suggested "could" happen, then 37.5X the price) just to have a copy without trimming and color touch.

If they continue to do so, they really do appear to be sending the message (for better or worse) that they hate trimming and color touch far more than they love the preservation of the book and the book itself.

I just don't think that trend will continue to the same extent as time goes on.

You have now compared that Apparent 9.0's price to universal 9.0 price at least four times in this thread...you really need to stop doing that. The book was not a 9.0 before the trimming and color touch, and that makes all the difference. What was this book's grade prior to resto, and what would it be if existing resto were removed? If you can't give me those figures, then you've just taken your first steps beyond your hypothesis and into the reality of assigning values to restored comics.

The trend will continue, and it's not because people hate trimming and color touch themselves...they hate the reasons it's done. It's done to deceive. People get nervous about throwing a bunch of money at a comic, and once they learn about the scumbags out there trying to rip them off by doing easy, minor work to a book, they learn to detest restoration. This is the entire reason people end up insisting on slabbed vintage comics--they're afraid of getting ripped off. The path to buying CGC books is paved with hours of fear or frustration in buying restored books. Loathing the Dupcaks out and the products of their work--and this particular AF15 is a product of that EXACT type of resto work--isn't going to change. Why WOULD it change? NOBODY likes these guys or what they're doing. (shrug)

Your point is very valid regarding that it wouldn't be a 9.0 without the restoration. That's why as I was saying before, maybe it would be a lower-grade but in this instance, I'm not sure it would be too much lower (correct me if I'm mistaken).

I do realize though that there is a huge difference between an 8.0 and a 9.0 (for instance); so your point is valid and I see where you're coming from.

I also agree with you regarding the distaste for books that are restored to deceive buyers. My point was that once that kind of book is slabbed and the buyer now knows what he/she is getting...I personally wouldn't mind buying a book like this so long as I know exactly what kind of work had been done to it.

As a collector, I'd be disappointed that someone tried to alter what would have been an otherwise beautiful book; but I wouldn't have the fear of the unknown since it has been slabbed already and thus, I'd have interest so long as there would be a discount.

I am absolutely THRILLED to have won the following book for the price I did:

RAD09B1B2010722_10258.jpg

The Qualified label states that there is a hole punched in the front cover (look at the Comics Code stamp). To me, if this is a 8.5 without the whole punch, it can't be any worse then a 7.0/6.5 with it. Really, would the book grade any lower if it was an identical size piece out of the edge, ala Marvel chipping?

Thank you to all you Green label haters who never even bothered to give such a sweet looking copy a chance. And for less then the going price of a Fine 6.0 to boot.

(worship)

The Qualified label states that there is a hole punched in the front cover (look at the Comics Code stamp). To me, if this is a 8.5 without the whole punch, it can't be any worse then a 7.0/6.5 with it. Really, would the book grade any lower if it was an identical size piece out of the edge, ala Marvel chipping?

Thank you to all you Green label haters who never even bothered to give such a sweet looking copy a chance. And for less then the going price of a Fine 6.0 to boot.

(worship)

Amazing. :applause:

(worship)

Amazing. :applause:

WOW Jive! And the hole is just through the cover...I'm thinking off the bat this should not be in a green label... (shrug)

XLNT pickup! Didn't see that one...I'm jealous now... :sick: