• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CBCA Comic Book Quarterly #4 - Summer 2010

31 posts in this topic

I would be happy to include articles on any comic related subject, but finding them is the hard part.

Mike

There are plenty of people on here who could write some great pieces on a vast range of subjects; OA, SS, different ages, Pedigrees, resto, creators...

Just wonder if they'd fancy get their views out.

Surely RMA could add a few thousand words :popcorn:

Mike,

You continue to do a wonderful job with your quarterly. Great flow and organization! Thanks very much for continuing to bring this to the comic community and for listening to your readers :golfclap:

Comments and suggestions are welcome. If you would like to write an article please send me a PM.

Enjoy!

Mike

Can you please ask

Susan Cicconi if she can do a video on youtube to show collectors a step by step processs in the restoration and pressing techniques?

I think by her showing this in a video it would be more helpful then writing about it as humans are more visual. This also would take away a lot of the animosity towards these techniques as people would be able to see what really goes on instead of hearing old wives tales about it.

Education is key here.

If I were a restorer I would more than likely decline such a request. While it would be informative it could also giveaway information that is proprietary (to varying degrees). May I also point out that while many would use the videos for interest purposes there would no doubt be those who would use it to commit less desirable actions. The animosity to restoration comes not from misunderstanding the techniques as much as the fact restoration has been used to deceive and defraud collectors. As well, the fact that we treat both professional restoration and amateur repairs with basically the same grading valuations basically devalues the professional work or validates the amateur work. In the long years that restoration has been around we have never thought to truly distinguish between the two or had a better tracking system on what is professionally restored. Professional certificates are lost, no public databases of pro work exist, and that makes it hard for collectors to even be able to distinguish between what is and isn't professional.

IMO what is need is not videos of how resto is done but a fundamental change in how we approach amateur and professional work from grading to tracking. Encourage the pros and show no respect for amateur work.

fwiw, there are numerous resto/conso videos all over the internet if you dig around enough. Historical Society websites, even youtube.

While they are mostly limited to Book repair or Historical document work. Many of the same techniques lend themselves to comic restoration. As with anything though, each person or restorer will take standard techniques and apply their own spin to get the desired results.

Kind of like baking bread, 10 people could follow a similar recipe and get 10 totally different loaves of bread depending on their experience and skill level.

And that is why you will probably never see comic exclusive restoration videos. The person doing the work probably spent years perfecting techniques to make a comic look new again, and are more then likely not ready to just open up the wonka shop for all to see.

Maybe someday though, ya never know.

Nice Newsletter btw, I know it takes a lot of time to put something like this together.

One of our missions at the CBCA is education and we would love to have this kind of video on our site (www.comiccollecting.org). Finding someone willing to create the video and then having them find the time can be a big problem. Thanks for the suggestion and we will definitely keep it in mind as we develop our website content.

Mike