• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happens if CGC loses a book???

63 posts in this topic

If it is lost and gone you will get half the money back that the book is worth.

Does that have any basis in reality? hm

Yeah, why half the money? Where did that come from?

I read it as a joke.... :gossip:

Hope you guys' cheeks recover ok after you get the hooks out. lol

Its not a joke and I am not fishing for anything.

I posted way back in the past here where an eerie #1 ashcan was sent in with a bulk order by a person through my lcs in which the book was somehow lost. It didn't get slabbed because CGC won't grade them because of counterfeits and then disappeared. CGC also recognized that they did receive it. The guy paid $400 for it but because of the way the form was filled out from my understanding of $100 CGC only at that time was going to give $50. Later on I heard that they got a bit more but not much and they did not fully recover the price of the book.

Edit: And just a little back info for an example about how this store treats its customers. Every so often I walk in with a printed sheet of what books I want to order. Well yesterday I went in to get my Shadowland: Moon Knight in which it wasn't on their shipped list but I knew it was shipped. They checked the records and saw that I indeed did order it and after further investigation noticed that somehow part of an order did not go thru. I did not have any money to go elsewhere, even if I did the closest store I do not support and I have store credit at this lcs. I said just back order it along with a VotMK #10 2nd printing I missed. They ended up sending an employee to an other comic store and buying the book for me even when I said don't worry about it. This is the type of lcs they are and treat their customers well. They even have Saturday movie days when comic movies come out and pay for half the tickets and we go as a big group with private viewing. Very good store.

They didn't let me know what Fair Market Value was on the book...I'll give them a call tomorrow for I'm guessing that will be a starting point for compensation. Hopefully I won't need that and its recovered, though.

Remember that you put the FMV on the form. In theory, this is what your book is insured for.

It sounds like UPS may have messed up = CGC had the correct address ?

I've had UPS twice deliver something to the wrong address. If they are having trouble finding your house they just drop it off somewhere else. I never use UPS

anymore.

My guess in that CGC would normally only be on the hook for the amount that was stated as the Market Value on the submission form if the book was lost before grading.

This situation is different, because CGC has graded the book already and then lost it. The market value of the graded book should be agreed upon using GPA and other tools that track past sales.

In this situation I would also not let CGC get away with a service credit, even if you plan to use it. They should have to cut a check for this kind of error. IMHO.

They didn't let me know what Fair Market Value was on the book...I'll give them a call tomorrow for I'm guessing that will be a starting point for compensation. Hopefully I won't need that and its recovered, though.

Remember that you put the FMV on the form. In theory, this is what your book is insured for.

It sounds like UPS may have messed up = CGC had the correct address ?

I've had UPS twice deliver something to the wrong address. If they are having trouble finding your house they just drop it off somewhere else. I never use UPS

anymore.

Actually, my take was that the book was mailed to the wrong person by accident. Not that the Postal Service messed up.

My guess in that CGC would normally only be on the hook for the amount that was stated as the Market Value on the submission form if the book was lost before grading.

I don't think you are correct. You are responsible for insuring the book to CGC.

What you put on the submission form is what is used for return shipment insurance.

This situation is different, because CGC has graded the book already and then lost it. The market value of the graded book should be agreed upon using GPA and other tools that track past sales.

In this situation I would also not let CGC get away with a service credit, even if you plan to use it. They should have to cut a check for this kind of error. IMHO.

Nope. CGC is only on the hook for whatever YOU insured the book for. If you were a cheapazz and skimped on the insured value so it could be graded under a lower tier, that would be YOUR bad.

Been waiting on my Large Feature Comic #5 (did grade at 8.5...yeah!!!). Called up CGC today and asked for a status. They stated it was delivered already. They looked up the records and confirmed it was delivered to the wrong address. They stated it would be sent to investigations and they would call me back.

Has anyone had anything similar happen? Wonder what next steps would be if the book couldn't be recovered? I wouldn't be so worried if it wasn't a high price book. Appreciate any comments. Thanks!

Lidge loses a finger or a toe, depends on the value of the book.

I posted way back in the past here where an eerie #1 ashcan was sent in with a bulk order by a person through my lcs in which the book was somehow lost. It didn't get slabbed because CGC won't grade them because of counterfeits and then disappeared. CGC also recognized that they did receive it. The guy paid $400 for it but because of the way the form was filled out from my understanding of $100 CGC only at that time was going to give $50. Later on I heard that they got a bit more but not much and they did not fully recover the price of the book.

Edit: And just a little back info for an example about how this store treats its customers. Every so often I walk in with a printed sheet of what books I want to order. Well yesterday I went in to get my Shadowland: Moon Knight in which it wasn't on their shipped list but I knew it was shipped. They checked the records and saw that I indeed did order it and after further investigation noticed that somehow part of an order did not go thru. I did not have any money to go elsewhere, even if I did the closest store I do not support and I have store credit at this lcs. I said just back order it along with a VotMK #10 2nd printing I missed. They ended up sending an employee to an other comic store and buying the book for me even when I said don't worry about it. This is the type of lcs they are and treat their customers well. They even have Saturday movie days when comic movies come out and pay for half the tickets and we go as a big group with private viewing. Very good store.

I heard about this guy whose girlfriend's brother's uncle's great aunt's cousin three times removed got ripped off... eh... whatever meh

While at CGC, your books are always fully insured against theft or damage.

So how do you prove damage? Would it require "before" and "after" image comparisons? Or is their a level of trust involved in taking the owner's word on original condition?

About 2 months ago I sent in a Groo that I would swear was perfect, I was figuring 9.8. It came back 9.0 and I can see what appears to be a crease in the middle of the BC that wasn't there before. I haven't contacted CGC about it, but maybe I should have. What's been nagging at me is that I don't have a "before" scan of the book... but in any case I don't think the flaw at issue would show up in any scan anyway... (shrug)

I heard about this guy whose girlfriend's brother's uncle's great aunt's cousin three times removed got ripped off... eh... whatever meh

You can think whatever. I have been dealing with this store for over 5 years for comics and further back for magic cards. I work for them occasionally along with free comic book day and I do their computers and network for the store, home and their family members. I was even there when they where on the phone with CGC and was getting upset with them over this issue. I was also given the full story right there by them and then when I came home posted here on the boards about it. The lcs had to pay out of their own pocket the rest of the money to make the guy whole.

Glad to see you're still making categorical statements with no basis in reality :winnah:

CGC lost a book of mine a couple of years ago - they gave me a choice of:

a) Have them try to find a replacement copy in the same (or better) grade

b) Pay out the full value of the book according to the CGC submission form

I choose option A, and after about 5-6 months a package showed up with a nicer copy of the book than the one I submitted.

Glad to see you're still making categorical statements with no basis in reality :winnah:

I choose option A, and after about 5-6 months a package showed up with a nicer copy of the book than the one I submitted.

I think CGC was relieved with your choice. The cost may have broke the bank.

Cable-1.jpg

Hey not trying to start anything. Not in reality? That is what happened. Book got lost, lcs didn't recover full amount and they had to pay out the difference to the guy that owned it. Oh and btw the B option you stated was listed at $100 and CGC first offered them half at $50. I had to listen them complain about that a couple times but they had a few more phone calls and they got a bit more. Probably the full $100 but they did not recover the amount the book was worth which the guy paid $400 and the lcs made up the differnece and took a loss on that submission. There was weird things too like two tracking numbers and such.

I had an issue once with cgc but it was a cracked slab in which my friend called them up and it was rectified with no issues.

But regardless I was under the impression due to what happened in this case of the eerie #1 that is how cgc deals with it. Why it was dealt with this way only CGC knows and would have to tell us why.

A theory between some people back then in pm was maybe in part it was because it was an eerie #1 a book they dont grade and it wasn't confirmed if it was authentic or not. But that is what happened.

Hey not trying to start anything. Not in reality? That is what happened. Book got lost, lcs didn't recover full amount and they had to pay out the difference to the guy that owned it. Oh and btw the B option you stated was listed at $100 and CGC first offered them half at $50. I had to listen them complain about that a couple times but they had a few more phone calls and they got a bit more. Probably the full $100 but they did not recover the amount the book was worth which the guy paid $400 and the lcs made up the differnece and took a loss on that submission. There was weird things too like two tracking numbers and such.

Yes, your LCS had to pay out the difference to the guy who owned the book because they put down the value as $100 on the CGC submission form. Pray tell how that is CGC's fault?

What I'm rallying against here is your categorical statement that "you will get half the money back that the book is worth" - a claim you're basing on some second-hand story from a store you go to. And, hey, as I actually have first-hand experience with this situation, I have no problem calling that out as being utterly incorrect.

Yes, your LCS had to pay out the difference to the guy who owned the book because they put down the value as $100 on the CGC submission form. Pray tell how that is CGC's fault?

What I'm rallying against here is your categorical statement that "you will get half the money back that the book is worth" - a claim you're basing on some second-hand story from a store you go to. And, hey, as I actually have first-hand experience with this situation, I have no problem calling that out as being utterly incorrect.

CGC originally offered $50 of the $100 that was listed on the form. The difference sure is on the lcs but I am talking about what was listed in which CGC offered HALF in the beginning. It wasn't until multiple calls that that was rectified. Now is it clear in your head of why I stated half.

Also I don't even think they got the full $100. I can easily find out tomorrow when I go by the store.

And its not second hand info when I am sitting their listening to one of the calls.

edit: Actually I was standing on the other side of the desk while they where sitting in front of their computer on the phone with them.

Edit 2: And on top of that it isnt just a store I go to. Its a store I also work for occasionally.

Edit 3: Oh and on top of that after the call I walked a couple doors down to thirdgreenhams store and was telling him all this info and asking him if this is how it generally happens and was giving him the details of what was going on.

CGC originally offered $50 of the $100 that was listed on the form. The difference sure is on the lcs but I am talking about what was listed in which CGC offered HALF in the beginning. It wasn't until multiple calls that that was rectified. Now is it clear in your head of why I stated half.

Also I don't even think they got the full $100. I can easily find out tomorrow when I go by the store.

You're really not getting this, are you? I honestly don't care about the specific instance surrounding your LCS, their Eerie ashcan & CGC. For all I know, your LCS could have put $50 on the form, CGC could have mis-read the number, or your LCS could be lying to you here. It just doesn't matter.

What I do care about is you making blanket statements similar to the one you've repeated a couple of times now - because I, from personal first-hand experience with this situation, know that what you're saying is incorrect.

That's it, really.

And its not second hand info when I am sitting their listening to one of the calls.

edit: Actually I was standing on the other side of the desk while they where sitting in front of their computer on the phone with them.

And, actually, that's pretty much the definition of second-hand information :gossip: