• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's a Mile High Copy of THAT?

112 posts in this topic

there is no suspense 3 listed on chucks' 1977 catalog list, the other suspense issues are listed

That's what I thought. So why was it omitted from the list, if it really existed?

The "List" is in reality a catalog of what was available for sale some months after the collection was purchased and many books had been sold. Unless the folks working on the pedigree book have produced a list, I'm not aware of any more complete list of Church books.

Yeah, the big books are all missing from the list as well. The Actions start at... 26? I don't have it near me, but there are a lot of obvious holes in the catalog. It could easily be dumb luck that the Suspense 3 isn't on the list. It certainly doesn't make sense that his run would skip the book., considering the completeness of the collection. That'd be reverse dumb luck or something.

Chuck held onto some of the best stuff as long as he could. He kept Action #1-11 at least, and MMC #1-10 at least, until 1982/1983 respectively.

When was the Suspense #3 sold to the original buyer?

Robert Overstreet stated that he owned the Mile High copy of Suspense 3 back before anyone cared about it. I don't know if he was the original buyer, but if he is not mistaken, he had to be one of the earliest owners.

Where has it been all this time?

There has been one well-known high grade copy that is now understood to be the Church copy (it has no code so it took some tracing of ownership to determine its origin).

Because Suspense Comics #3 was worth very little back in the 70's to early 80's when the Mile High copy of it was sold, the buyer basically forgot it was the Mile High copy. He probably paid less than $80 for it back then! So...when he sold it years later, it was sold as a regular copy. It has resold several times as a regular copy. Only recently did the original purchaser realise it was the Mile High copy.

Who ever owns it now also would not know it is the Mile High copy.

West

So you are saying it is not Magik's high grade copy that was used for the Photo-Journal guide then?

Did you know magik? He used to set up at the local shows. I think I recall a post saying he had passed or something though? hopefully I am totally incorrect about that. you still in contact with him?

We all know there were approximately 18,000 books in the collection and when we think of a Mile High book we primarily think of the THOUSANDS of superhero books that comprised the collection.

However, there are thousands of books that are completely off everyone's radar.

I'd be very interested in seeing out of the ordinary Mile High copies. No super-heroes or titles we'd all expect to have been in the collection.

Let's get started with this.

MyRomance3.jpg

that's a funny cover!