• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade My FF 116

23 posts in this topic

I don't think you guys have missed anything. I think we're just scoring the book differently. 5.0 permits 8-13 defects per book. I am counting two tears on top of the front cover, 3/4 inch color breaking crease URC front cover, moderate abrasion on the URC back cover, color breaking spine crease on front cover, color loss near Thing's knee in the logo, warped/abraded LLC front cover, blunted LRC front cover, spine warping along back cover, and two long (1 1/2 inch long or longer) creases in ULC back cover. It's always a tough judgment call on any book between 4.0 to 6.5. I think I might be grading back cover defects and squarebound bindery defects harsher than CGC does (based on what others here have said -- I don't own any CGC squarebounds so I am not speaking from personal knowledge), and I think they'd probably give it anywhere from a 5.0 to 6.0. But my opinion is that it's a VG/FN with the warping and long creases. confused-smiley-013.gif

But on the plus side, now you know that if you ever buy a book from me (not that I ever intend to sell any of them cloud9.gif), it'll be strictly graded. wink.gif

since we know that you know your stuff, what is it that you think the group has missed here?? 6.0 has been on the low side and 7-7.5 on the high.

personally, i think that rippling on the LRC of the back cover is as much a result of the comic being dropped on that corner as it is the result of typical square-bound printing defect. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But on the plus side, now you know that if you ever buy a book from me (not that I ever intend to sell any of them ), it'll be strictly graded.

While that sounds good in practice, ALMOST every dealer will grade a book they are purchasing at a different grade than selling.

Buying: Look at all those flaws, VF- at best.

Selling: NM except a few tiny flaws, VF+ at worst.

And where do you think 8-13 defects puts a book at 5.0? I will show you scan's of CGC 9.4's (that I own) that have 4-5 defects.

I'm not a dealer. I'm a lawyer who collects comics. cloud9.gif I haven't sold a comic book in ten years and I try to grade all comic books the same. confused-smiley-013.gif

As for the 8-13 flaws thing, I got it from page 126-127 of the Overstreet Grading Guide. I know these ranges aren't concrete, but that book has a lot of flaws for a VF, especially with that warped AND abraded lower left corner on the front and with the two long (over 1 inch) creases on the upper left corner on the back.

If you have a comic with 4-5 defects, unless one or more of them is almost unnoticeably small, I probably wouldn't grade the book a 9.4. (For example, I don't think I'd give a 9.4 to a book with a slightly blunted corner, three stress lines, and a color fleck). I didn't make up the rules, I just try to follow them when I am giving my opinion of a grade. And as for the "CGC 9.4" thing, why don't you take a look at the Daredevil #200 CGC 9.8 thread that I started a couple of weeks ago and tell me whether CGC is always right about the grades they give to books.

But on the plus side, now you know that if you ever buy a book from me (not that I ever intend to sell any of them ), it'll be strictly graded.

While that sounds good in practice, ALMOST every dealer will grade a book they are purchasing at a different grade than selling.

Buying: Look at all those flaws, VF- at best.

Selling: NM except a few tiny flaws, VF+ at worst.

And where do you think 8-13 defects puts a book at 5.0? I will show you scan's of CGC 9.4's (that I own) that have 4-5 defects.