• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For the knowledgeable ones

54 posts in this topic

Where did you learn about comics, all aspects?

Was speaking to my Uncle last night and I came to the realization that almost everything I know, I know because of him. Sure, my knowledge in this hobby has increased drastically since joining these boards, but without that one person who constantly talked about them while young (:ohnoez:), I would have never been as passionate or knowledgeable about the hobby as I am today.

Self-taught, with the help of the Overstreet, of course. :grin: I read that book cover to cover, for years. It was fun studying the book and trying to memorize the 1st appearances. :cloud9:

Andy

I learned everything from reading Wizard :insane:

But seriously I began learning about comics in HS, a buddy of mine who I helped sell comics set me on the path. Since then its mostly whatever I can read or get my hands on has increased my knowledge. Joining these boards increased it exponentially.

Self taught at SHK. I started collecting when I was 10 and started buying Overstreet and going to monthly local shows not too long after. That gave me a solid foundation, and the Boards have been like a masters program.

D. W. Howard (owner of my LCS, Super Giant Comics in Asheville, NC growing up - RIP), Chris Foss (Columbia, SC), Rick Fortenberry (our very own capt_comics), and Harry Thomas (RIP). These were the guys I talked to at shows and in their shops as a teenager. Everything else was reading trade publications (Overstreet, Alter Ego, Comic Buyers Guide, et al.), and learning by trial and error post-CGC on eBay and Heritage. The love and appreciation for pulps, along with most of that knowledge, I got from my dad.

But, since joining these boards, my knowledge of the market, and the scarcity, or lack thereof, of certain things has improved tenfold! There are so many people here, with better memories, and more knowledge than I possess, that most threads, I just read, and try to absorb.

Most of what i learned, I learned from greggy and sullypython pounding me in the cyberass in Ebay auctions for 6 years.

Whatever happened to sullypython.....?...I remember him from the "good ole days". GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

My best friend. We started up a comic book collection together (I think I was 12 or so) and he took most of the "good" books when we decided to split up the collection a few months later. My first and best lesson when it comes to comic collecting - trust no one! Especially your mom who is just waiting to throw them out.

My I had three friends when I was a kid; Poy Wong, Howard Wong and Earl Wong (they were all brothers). They were the ones who first educated me about actual grading and collecting when I was 8. I already had a hundred or so books already but I read them a lot. I learned more when I started working after school at Apache comics and a couple of other LCSs...

Howard had an awesome collection with examples of almost every title. He primarily focused on key books and his fave artists. But he did have the complete TOS/IM collection. Poy collected Avengers. He would always get mad because would make fun of Heck art. Earl collected FFs but changed his focus about as much as MutantKeys does :baiting:

I read it in books.

Reading about something isn't the same thing as studying it...

;)

I'm glad you finally learned something :applause:

You'll get there in the end (thumbs u

I think there is a generation of us who subscribed to CBG in the 70's and 80's and that opened up fandom in general for a lot of us.

I always found the Comics Journal to be dense reading back then as well. More cerebral.