• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some advice for UK collector please

56 posts in this topic

I started collecting comics in 2000 after a 25 year break and in the last 10 years have amassed around 10,000 comics most of which are from the 1960s. Over the 10 years I have learned more about the hobby and the different ages and have gradually become a bit more discerning.

I started out as a big Marvel fan having been brought up on UK Marvels of the early 70s but am now restricting myself to very early Marvel Silver Age issues and also 10 cent DC comics as well as some Golden Age.

My indiscriminate purchases have left me with many issues which I would gladly remove from my collection and I resolved to endeavour to liquidate these in bulk if possible. Happy to sell at big discount to create space and possibly replace with a few high grade/key issues.

In particular I gathered together my DC 12 cent and bronze issues - I have around 2,500 of which more than half are 12 cents - most are mid grade but some nice copies and majority all clean and complete. I sent a list of these to Silveracre with general grading comments but was told not interested in buying these issues at this time having expressed initial interest.

I would be grateful for any thoughts as to whether such a lot would be of interest to any other UK dealers and if so who these would be or whether I should just be happy to keep these in my collection as little prospect of getting rid of these.

Any advice much appreciated.

Mikey

The back issue market in the UK is almost dead, I doubt there would that much interest, and certainly not for the price that you probably hope for.

I'm sure there are a few Uk boardies who are dealers who could help, Flaming Telepath and Goldust 40 are both excellent UK dealers

Avoid Silveracre if they do decide they want some of your books.

If you've got the time and the patience of a saint try the obvious - Ebay

Nice to see another UK collector on here (thumbs u

Thanks for the advice. Darryl from Silveracre bought some of my books at a Fair in Glasgow a few years ago and was conscious he was negotiating a deal on a deal - the would ask my best price for ceratin issues then add them together and ask for a discount - Ok as I was happy to take what he offered but a bit put out when he refused even to discount a fiver off a £150 book I offered to buy off him. I suppose that's how he makes money!

Mikey

Thanks for the advice. Darryl from Silveracre bought some of my books at a Fair in Glasgow a few years ago and was conscious he was negotiating a deal on a deal - the would ask my best price for ceratin issues then add them together and ask for a discount - Ok as I was happy to take what he offered but a bit put out when he refused even to discount a fiver off a £150 book I offered to buy off him. I suppose that's how he makes money!

Mikey

Yes, Darryl doesn't have a great reputation.

Mr Flaming Telepath is the exact opposite of Darryl.

Darryl makes money by treating people like krapp.

However, you won't find anyone better than Nick (Flaming Telepath) to deal with. (thumbs u

Darryl makes money by treating people like krapp.

However, you won't find anyone better than Nick (Flaming Telepath) to deal with. (thumbs u

Didn't I just say that :baiting:

I just type much slower than you, you hadn't said it when I started to reply. :tonofbricks:

I have already sussed that Nick is well respected from comments on the boards. Also he was proactive and friendly in contacting me following my initial posts which was much appreciated. Thanks Mikey

Just don't tell F_T that you are a new UK boardie who is an Arsenal fan and who collects horror comics

I have already sussed that Nick is well respected from comments on the boards. Also he was proactive and friendly in contacting me following my initial posts which was much appreciated. Thanks Mikey

Just don't tell F_T that you are a new UK boardie who is an Arsenal fan and who collects horror comics

Imran,

You've just come up on my standard search alert.

Imran,

Search and destroy you mean.

Imran,

Well Mike could just be a very clever ruse, I am suspicious of him being from sunny Glasgow (no such place exists in the UK)

Anyway Nick be nice to him :baiting:

Nick really likes it if you sing "You'll Never Walk Alone" every time you talk to him. :gossip: