• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Pedigree-Grail Type of Day – Pacific Coast Hulk 1

68 posts in this topic

I have been learning a lot about this book, and I thank everyone for sharing either in this thread or by PM. As far as I can tell it has been in the hands of 5 collectors before me (not counting stops at dealers) including the original pacific coast collector and has been graded 4 times at CGC including its initial grading. The book certainly has some history. Hopefully I will slow that down and give it a good home for years to come.

:wishluck:

I have been learning a lot about this book, and I thank everyone for sharing either in this thread or by PM. As far as I can tell it has been in the hands of 5 collectors before me (not counting stops at dealers) including the original pacific coast collector and has been graded 4 times at CGC including its initial grading. The book certainly has some history. Hopefully I will slow that down and give it a good home for years to come.

:wishluck:

+1

I hate seeing all these great books getting tossed around like hot potatoes.

I thank everyone for the kind words they have said about the book.

I have to say I am always amazed by the amount of information on these boards and the knowledge of people here. I have been learning a lot about this book, and I thank everyone for sharing either in this thread or by PM. As far as I can tell it has been in the hands of 5 collectors before me (not counting stops at dealers) including the original pacific coast collector and has been graded 4 times at CGC including its initial grading. The book certainly has some history. Hopefully I will slow that down and give it a good home for years to come.

Good to see it's with a collector who's not going to try to resubmit to flip. :golfclap:

Congrats on the Grail! (worship)

I thank everyone for the kind words they have said about the book.

I have to say I am always amazed by the amount of information on these boards and the knowledge of people here. I have been learning a lot about this book, and I thank everyone for sharing either in this thread or by PM. As far as I can tell it has been in the hands of 5 collectors before me (not counting stops at dealers) including the original pacific coast collector and has been graded 4 times at CGC including its initial grading. The book certainly has some history. Hopefully I will slow that down and give it a good home for years to come.

Good to see it's with a collector who's not going to try to resubmit to flip. :golfclap:

Congrats on the Grail! (worship)

Not try to resub? It's already been tried, probably at least once and maybe mutliple times, so no point in resubbing again.

and has been graded 4 times at CGC including its initial gradi

Wow, that's interesting. I'd be curious to hear how many times some other major / well known keys have been cgc graded.

This is the book that's been resubmitted the most of any I've ever heard of, and I've known that for a while, but I wouldn't be surprised if another has been done more times. This is definitely the only one I know of that's gone down and STAYED down a grade.

this is a perfect example of when trying to resubmit for a higher grade goes wrong.

I agree. I've had my Hulk #1 (7.5 WP) for some time and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been pressed. Although it looks better to me, and I've considered the crack/press route many times, I'm scared "spoonless" to re-submit for that exact reason.

Anyway, based on some handsome offers I've previously turned down, it's not going anywhere anytime soon, so it'll likely just have to remain in its tomb until I'm placed into mine. (shrug)

BTW, David - Congrats on snagging that beautiful book. I imagine you're experiencing that same wonderful feeling that I had then. I thank you for sharing... it brought some of it back for me too. Enjoy. (thumbs u

This is definitely the only one I know of that's gone down and STAYED down a grade.

Want to hear of another one. My amazing spiderman 6 was originally 9.0 but when I bought it it resided in a 8.0 slab. Has great eye appeal. I am very happy with it as well.

People only hear of the success stories of resubmissions, no one wants to say they resubmitted a book and it went down a grade.

I could buy books like the hulk and spiderman that have gone down a grade all day long. Great eye appeal and some minor flaw that keeps the, from being graded higher. Makes things easier on the wallet too.

For my part I have never submitted a book for grading, let alone a resubmissions, nor have I pressed anything. There are likely numerous candidates in my slabbed and raw collection for improvement by my books will stay as they are.

This is definitely the only one I know of that's gone down and STAYED down a grade.

Want to hear of another one. My amazing spiderman 6 was originally 9.0 but when I bought it it resided in a 8.0 slab. Has great eye appeal. I am very happy with it as well.

People only hear of the success stories of resubmissions, no one wants to say they resubmitted a book and it went down a grade.

I could buy books like the hulk and spiderman that have gone down a grade all day long. Great eye appeal and some minor flaw that keeps the, from being graded higher. Makes things easier on the wallet too.

For my part I have never submitted a book for grading, let alone a resubmissions, nor have I pressed anything. There are likely numerous candidates in my slabbed and raw collection for improvement by my books will stay as they are.

:applause:

I think the number of downgrades is relatively small. The clear bias is same or up, so to people in the business of cracking and resubbing, the odds favor resubbing, particularly if you're able to "juice" your chances by pressing and other forms of manipulation.

Congrats David.....one of my favorite comics that seems to keep inching out of my price range in any grade. I don't know if I couldever sell it. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I was replying to a post asking which other pedigreed keys have been resubmitted a lot -- I meant I didn't know of keys that have gone down other than the Pacific Coast Hulk #1. I know of lots of slabs that have gone down due to intra-slab damage, that's fairly common. I've seen plenty of books I'd never reslab because they look like gift grades...people shouldn't reslab who don't feel confident in predicting how CGC grades books.

Any idea why your book was resubmitted by the previous owner? What damage does it have reducing it to an 8.0, any idea?

I think the number of downgrades is relatively small. The clear bias is same or up, so to people in the business of cracking and resubbing, the odds favor resubbing, particularly if you're able to "juice" your chances by pressing and other forms of manipulation.

I agree because of the juice (pressing/manipulation) that more books get upgraded than downgraded. For straight unmanipulated books I would imagine grading would usually stay the same otherwise cgc would eventually breakdown if grading standards were consistently loosened over time. If it is a straight resubmit without anything being done on the book I think you take your chances.

I know some people look at this hulk and do not like it because it can not be manipulated higher. That is one thing I like about this hulk book as I know it has not had work done to it. It was not a 7 or 7.5 that was pressed up. Thebookis,and remains, as it always was.

For straight unmanipulated books I would imagine grading would usually stay the same otherwise cgc would eventually breakdown if grading standards were consistently loosened over time.

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

I was replying to a post asking which other pedigreed keys have been resubmitted a lot -- I meant I didn't know of keys that have gone down other than the Pacific Coast Hulk #1. I know of lots of slabs that have gone down due to intra-slab damage, that's fairly common. I've seen plenty of books I'd never reslab because they look like gift grades...people shouldn't reslab who don't feel confident in predicting how CGC grades books.

Any idea why your book was resubmitted by the previous owner? What damage does it have reducing it to an 8.0, any idea?

I can only speculate as to why it was resubmitted the first time, and my guess is he thought the front cover looks better than a 8.5 but I do not know the real reason. I am assuming the 2 other submissions over the years were by people hoping it would go back to a 8.5. (As far as I can gather it was graded 8.5, then 8.0, then 8.0 and finally 8.0).

As for why it is a 8.0 it is because on the back cover there is a faint color breaking crease through the white part of the book that runs 4 or 5 inches. I am told you can hardly see it through the slab unless you angle it in the light the right way. So while the front cover is a 9.0 the back cover is a 7.0. From all accounts this crease can not be doctored in any way to make it go away (which is good for me because otherwise I doubt I would have had the chance to buy the book from an affordability standpoint).

Here is the only scan of the back cover I have:

Hulk1CGC80Back-PacificCoast.jpg

Fedex is now telling me that the book will arrive at my office on Monday so I will post larger scans next week of the front and the back cover.

For my money I'd rather have a book like this than the 9.2 Northland Hulk 1 which looks like it has something funny going on around Hulk's face but does not have a small crease in the back cover, especially at the price differential.