• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mcfarlane cover getting some serious money on the bay...

117 posts in this topic

Any predictions as to the final price?

Well, since the bidding is already more than 83 cents, I will go with "more than it's worth."

hater

More than a hater.

Too true.

By the way, nice icon and pictures.

Thanks (thumbs u

Does it get lonely in mommy's basement?

That's funny. I'm enjoying reading your nonsense while watching college football with my wife in our lovely home. I don't have a basement though. :P

A Freudist would make a big deal out of your choice to describe your home as lovely, but not your wife.

But I'm not a Freudist.

Actually a Freudist's primary focus would be to comment on how your first interaction with Diggler involved you thinking about his mother.

But I am not a Freudist either.

Well, since the bidding is already more than 83 cents, I will go with "more than it's worth."

hater

More than a hater.

Too true.

Thanks (thumbs u

That's funny. I'm enjoying reading your nonsense while watching college football with my wife in our lovely home. I don't have a basement though. :P

A Freudist would make a big deal out of your choice to describe your home as lovely, but not your wife.

But I'm not a Freudist.

:applause:

Score one for the new guy.

:gossip: Sorry Diggler

Please don't feed the noobs....

n00b.JPG

hater

More than a hater.

Too true.

Thanks (thumbs u

But I'm not a Freudist.

Actually a Freudist's primary focus would be to comment on how your first interaction with Diggler involved you thinking about his mother.

Except I've been enjoying a hearty back and forth with Diggler in another thread all morning, so this isn't my first interaction.

Close, but no cigar.

Get it? Cigar?

hater

More than a hater.

Too true.

Thanks (thumbs u

But I'm not a Freudist.

Except I've been enjoying a hearty back and forth with Diggler in another thread all morning, so this isn't my first interaction.

Close, but no cigar.

Get it? Cigar?

lol

Who doesn't enjoy a good cigar?

freud2.jpg

hater

More than a hater.

Too true.

Thanks (thumbs u

But I'm not a Freudist.

:applause:

Score one for the new guyshill.

:gossip: Sorry Diggler

Bugger off! lol

He put it on the wall with push pins. I dumbstruck.

And it looks like it was folded or bent at some point too.

That's the line from the overlay holding the title and logo stats.

Ah i see now. I didn't catch that on a cursory view. I hate overlays.

Everyone thought it was creased at first because it would not have been the first McFarlane cover that was creased over the years as Todd had reportedly folded at least one cover he mailed to someone.

You had to look closely to see it was an overlay. I guess it's better than having all those rubber cement stains on it though.

Is the purpose of this thread to ask if anyone has experience with Todd McFarlane?

lol now that is some funny stuff!

And my only experience with Mcfarlane is those comics are a dime a dozen in HG and worth nothing

Sell them all to me. Every single one. I'll take them all for a dime each.

All of them. Everything he ever laid pencil to.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

I'm not sure if this is posted anywhere (my luck it has! lol )

http://cgi.ebay.com/TODD-MCFARLANE-AMAZING-SPIDERMAN-313-COVER-ORIGINAL-ART-/280555085306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415262ddfa#ht_500wt_1154

Apparently he sold it for $700 and the person he sold it to is now selling it for over $50k.

Check out what he says in the sale..."I fully believe that this art will command at least $250,000 to $1,000,000 in the future." hm

It is an awesome cover in my opinion but not worth that money....

The seller is a dope. And he can't count. McFarlane did 28 issues, not 26, and a 29th cover. The issue with "both Grreen (he must have been sick that day) Goblin and Hobgoblin" on the cover was #312, not #314.

And..push pins? Really? doh!

And WHY is this piece dated Dec 4, 1986? McFarlane was nowhere near Spidey on Dec 4, 1986.

If it is the best cover in the run, I don't think it is too high. No matter what you think about him, he is the man that made Spiderman the flagship again. It was a mutant world in Marvel and almost mutants alone before TM.

It's not the best cover in the run. It's not even in the top 5.

Is the purpose of this thread to ask if anyone has experience with Todd McFarlane?

And my only experience with Mcfarlane is those comics are a dime a dozen in HG and worth nothing

I would like to be next in line! Thanks (thumbs u

And WHY is this piece dated Dec 4, 1986? McFarlane was nowhere near Spidey on Dec 4, 1986.

It was a poor guess to think it took him that long to work on it. For a number of years after that date you will see many many published Marvel covers with that exact date in that exact spot on the art board. Apparently the Marvel Art boards being produced for a number of years were copies of one that had the Dec. 4, 1986 date written in the margin of the original board used to produce countless others. If you search CAF you will find many.

Here is an example of one.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=637424&GSub=97625

It was a poor guess to think it took him that long to work on it. For a number of years after that date you will see many many published Marvel covers with that exact date in that exact spot on the art board. Apparently the Marvel Art boards being produced for a number of years were copies of one that had the Dec. 4, 1986 date written in the margin of the original board used to produce countless others. If you search CAF you will find many.

Here is an example of some.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=515164&GSub=16944

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=404066&GSub=24972

These late 80's and 90's McFarlane comics can be found in any LCS and in HG. They are extremely plentiful. Hence, my dime a dozen comment.

I own the entire Mcfarlane run of ASM (28 issues) and most Spiderman Mcfarlane (first 12)...they are all in VF/NM- condition. They are all raw.. am I a rich man because of them?

If so, tell me the fortune you want to pay for them and they are yours.

To further illustrate my point...the census has 1,194 ASM 298 in 9.4 or better....only 2 in 9.9 which is where the money is.

The census has ASM 300 2,602 in 9.4 or better (only 3 in 9.9).

That seems pretty plentiful to me in HG...

Here is an example of one.

Awesome! Thanks for that tidbit, I never knew that!

*filing away*

These late 80's and 90's McFarlane comics can be found in any LCS and in HG. They are extremely plentiful. Hence, my dime a dozen comment.

I own the entire Mcfarlane run of ASM (28 issues) and most Spiderman Mcfarlane (first 12)...they are all in VF/NM- condition. They are all raw.. am I a rich man because of them?

There is a vast, vast gulf of diffeence between "worth nothing" and "rich because of them." Going from one extreme to the other doesn't prove your point. The fact is, these are worth SOMETHING. Just not very much.

If so, tell me the fortune you want to pay for them and they are yours.

I'll gladly pay you $1 each for VF/NM copies of the whole run, $10 for the #298, $5 for the #299 and $40 for the #300. All fair offers based on eBay sales in that grade. I'd make an offer for the adjectiveless Spideys, but shipping would eat that offer up. I'd happily buy them for 10 cents each, with another lot.

To further illustrate my point...the census has 1,194 ASM 298 in 9.4 or better....only 2 in 9.9 which is where the money is.

The census has ASM 300 2,602 in 9.4 or better (only 3 in 9.9).

That seems pretty plentiful to me in HG...

My reply to you hinges on your (admittedly retarded) comment that they are "worth nothing." Not only are they NOT "worth nothing", but there are quite a few people...myself included...who will gladly take them from anyone who believes that for what those people think they are worth. No one said they weren't "plentiful"...they certainly are. But to say they are "worth nothing" is just silly.

I will happily buy every Spidey #298 in 9.4 that exists for....let's see, if they're worth nothing, I'll offer $1 each. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

The fact is, however, that these books are NOT "worth nothing", and there's clearly enough demand to sustain these books at the $40 range EACH. That's unbelievable for a Copper Marvel book in 9.4.

As far as finding these in any LCS...how many LCS do you know that now stocks back issues older than 5 years....? If at all....? Not only can they NOT be found "in any LCS", finding them in HIGH GRADE from those that do is a near impossible task.

Some of us like to hoard books....

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

:cloud9: