• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mcfarlane cover getting some serious money on the bay...

117 posts in this topic

...that is so sic,...that kind of money would be much better spent on a nice AF #15 that would hold it's value much more securely,...OA is such a small field,...I can't see where this is a smart buy,... (shrug)

Is the purpose of this thread to ask if anyone has experience with Todd McFarlane?

lol now that is some funny stuff!

And my only experience with Mcfarlane is those comics are a dime a dozen in HG and worth nothing

Sell them all to me. Every single one. I'll take them all for a dime each.

All of them. Everything he ever laid pencil to.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

These late 80's and 90's McFarlane comics can be found in any LCS and in HG. They are extremely plentiful. Hence, my dime a dozen comment.

I own the entire Mcfarlane run of ASM (28 issues) and most Spiderman Mcfarlane (first 12)...they are all in VF/NM- condition. They are all raw.. am I a rich man because of them?

There is a vast, vast gulf of diffeence between "worth nothing" and "rich because of them." Going from one extreme to the other doesn't prove your point. The fact is, these are worth SOMETHING. Just not very much.

If so, tell me the fortune you want to pay for them and they are yours.

I'll gladly pay you $1 each for VF/NM copies of the whole run, $10 for the #298, $5 for the #299 and $40 for the #300. All fair offers based on eBay sales in that grade. I'd make an offer for the adjectiveless Spideys, but shipping would eat that offer up. I'd happily buy them for 10 cents each, with another lot.

To further illustrate my point...the census has 1,194 ASM 298 in 9.4 or better....only 2 in 9.9 which is where the money is.

The census has ASM 300 2,602 in 9.4 or better (only 3 in 9.9).

That seems pretty plentiful to me in HG...

My reply to you hinges on your (admittedly retarded) comment that they are "worth nothing." Not only are they NOT "worth nothing", but there are quite a few people...myself included...who will gladly take them from anyone who believes that for what those people think they are worth. No one said they weren't "plentiful"...they certainly are. But to say they are "worth nothing" is just silly.

I will happily buy every Spidey #298 in 9.4 that exists for....let's see, if they're worth nothing, I'll offer $1 each. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

The fact is, however, that these books are NOT "worth nothing", and there's clearly enough demand to sustain these books at the $40 range EACH. That's unbelievable for a Copper Marvel book in 9.4.

As far as finding these in any LCS...how many LCS do you know that now stocks back issues older than 5 years....? If at all....? Not only can they NOT be found "in any LCS", finding them in HIGH GRADE from those that do is a near impossible task.

Some of us like to hoard books....

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

:cloud9:

Well you clearly have a fondness for these books and that is cool. It just differs 100% from me. Now you can debate the topic like an adult or you can resort to child like tactics by using insulting terms like "retarded" all you want. To me, these books are a dime a dozen. Now since you don't understand what that term means...I'll elaborate...1. it doesn't mean it's worth a dime :makepoint:

a dime a dozen

Overly abundant; commonplace.

And my other original comment was "my experience is they are worth nothing" Try selling them to anyone unless that are uber HG...you get pennies on the dollar for therm.

To you, they are worth something...to me...commonplace box fillers.

I prefer ASM pre 200. That's me. You obviously like these Mcfarlane books and there is nothing wrong with it. More power to you.

Oh, and you asked how many LCS have back issues beyond 5 years? In my town plenty of them do. There are at least 3 in my area that have serious stock of late 80s and 90s books...just stting in boxes and the higher grade 300 might be on a wall. ASM 298 through whatever are mostly in very nice condition...perhaps not 9.4 and above but better than 8.0. Unless you have a 9.8 of any of these books...they are a dime a dozen. My 2c

And I do realize the OSPG has some decent value for 298-300...sure they might be worth $10-$50 which is good for more modern books. Just for ME...not something I would invest any money into from a collectible standpoint.

Well you clearly have a fondness for these books which differs 100% from me. You can use insulting terms like "retarded" all you want.

Now, now, don't get your Victoria's Secret in a bunch. You'll never get the wrinkles out if you do. If you're going to say something as retarded as "McFarlane books are worth nothing", you should expect to be called on it. If I got all butthurt everytime someone insulted me on these boards, I'd have jumped off a bridge by now.

To me, these books are a dime a dozen. Now since you don't understand what that term means...I'll elaborate...1. it doesn't mean it's worth a dime :makepoint:

a dime a dozen

Overly abundant; commonplace.

lol

Is someone who doesn't know how to use the search function trying to school me...? ;)

You continue to miss the point. My original post was a tongue-in-cheek wordplay on your "dime a dozen" comment. You'll notice, if you carefully read my further response, that I didn't continue to say that you should sell them for "a dime a dozen", or that they were all worth "a dime", and that I reinforced your statement that they are, in fact, "plentiful", indicating that I knew precisely what you were saying from the beginning.

I know, I know, hermenuetics is HARD....

And my other original comment was "my experience is they are worth nothing" Try selling them to anyone unless that are uber HG...you get pennies on the dollar for therm.

Pennies on WHAT dollar...? Whose "dollar" are we talking about? Overstreet? Because Overstreet, especially insofar as 1980-up books are concerned, is an irrelevant anachromism, with prices that bear little bearing on reality. Nearly everything from the last 30 years in the OPG is radically overpriced, with obvious exceptions.

The simple fact is this: there is a market for these books, and it is quite a vibrant market. The fact that notorious cheapskates like me are willing to pay $1-$5-$10+ for these attests to that fact. There are people who are willing to spend more for these, sometimes lots more, on a regular basis. So toss out the "price guide" and mark these at $3-$5 each in 9.4-ish grade, and they will sell. The same cannot be said of ANYTHING else from the era, Marvel-wise, with, again, the exceptions that make the rule. Try selling Web of Spidey #43 for $5, see how that goes.

To you, they are worth something...to me...commonplace box fillers.

No no! To the market they are worth something...and that's all that matters.

I prefer ASM pre 200. That's me. You obviously like these Mcfarlane books and there is nothing wrong with it. More power to you.

You're continuing to miss the point. This is not about "personal preference." This is about THE MARKET. And THE MARKET has determined that these books are worth more than "nothing."

Getting it yet...?

Oh, and you asked how many LCS have back issues beyond 5 years? In my town plenty of them do. There are at least 3 in my area that have serious stock of late 80s and 90s books...just stting in boxes and the higher grade 300 might be on a wall. ASM 298 through whatever are mostly in very nice condition...perhaps not 9.4 and above but better than 8.0. Unless you have a 9.8 of any of these books...they are a dime a dozen. My 2c

Then you are a very, very, very lucky boy. This is most certainly not true everywhere.

Please forward me the names of these stores. I would like to buy out these books, if they are priced correctly.

But please don't start a thread asking if GAtor is a trustworthy dealer...

(thumbs u

The only thing I get is that you are very passionate about these books. Good for you.

My opinion differs from yours. Are you getting that yet? You can argue about it until next year...it won't change my opinion that these books are a dime a dozen. I choose not to buy any of these modern books especially now because the only way for one to really have any value is if it is ultra high grade (9.6 or higher).

The local stores I visit are Phil's Comic Shop, Tate's Comics and Past Present Future. All three have loads of back issues and i'm sure they would welcome you to come and check out their stock.

Oh, and I will gladly start any threads asking for opinions about eBay sellers and the like...I just know I don't need to start a thread about RockMyAmadeus because I already know you prefer dime a dozen books by Mcfarlane.

Plus didn't you write this about your own spidey collection?

Just haven't had too much interest in filling it in, because Spidey is everywhere.

And I do realize the OSPG has some decent value for 298-300...sure they might be worth $10-$50 which is good for more modern books. Just for ME...not something I would invest any money into from a collectible standpoint.

Nice edit. ;)

Shut up noob lol

Nice edit. ;)

Shut up noob lol

meh

Nice edit. ;)

Shut up noob lol

meh

Don't get so serious...it's all in good fun...now go read all those dime a dozen Spidey's....I'm sure you have at least 20 #299 that need to be cracked open.

The only thing I get is that you are very passionate about these books. Good for you.

doh!

My opinion differs from yours. Are you getting that yet? You can argue about it until next year...it won't change my opinion that these books are a dime a dozen. I choose not to buy any of these modern books especially now because the only way for one to really have any value is if it is ultra high grade (9.6 or higher).

Are you really this dense?

Let me be very clear:

1. No one is saying these books aren't common.

2. It is not my opinion that these books are not "worth nothing." It is the market's. This conversation has nothing to do with personal preference, yet you keep trying to make it so.

The local stores I visit are Phil's Comic Shop, Tate's Comics and Past Present Future. All three have loads of back issues and i'm sure they would welcome you to come and check out their stock.

I wouldn't be coming, but I will certainly look them up and give them a call.

Oh, and I will gladly start any threads asking for opinions about eBay sellers and the like...I just know I don't need to start a thread about RockMyAmadeus because I already know you prefer dime a dozen books by Mcfarlane.

Just haven't had too much interest in filling it in, because Spidey is everywhere.

Let me repeat this, and I'll type it slowly so you can understand it:

No one has said Spidey books aren't common. The issue here is your argument that they are "worth nothing", thus implying that there is no demand.

This is not true.

Do try and stay focused.

Nice edit. ;)

Shut up noob lol

meh

Don't get so serious...it's all in good fun...now go read all those dime a dozen Spidey's....I'm sure you have at least 20 #299 that need to be cracked open.

I'm waiting for you to sell me yours for a dime.

doh!

Are you really this dense?

Let me be very clear:

1. No one is saying these books aren't common.

2. It is not my opinion that these books are not "worth nothing." It is the market's. This conversation has nothing to do with personal preference, yet you keep trying to make it so.

I wouldn't be coming, but I will certainly look them up and give them a call.

Let me repeat this, and I'll type it slowly so you can understand it:

No one has said Spidey books aren't common. The issue here is your argument that they are "worth nothing", thus implying that there is no demand.

This is not true.

Do try and stay focused.

JUST ONE MORE TIME FOR YOUR THICK BRAIN TO COMPREHEND...

TO ME THESE MCFARLANE SPIDEY BOOKS ARE A DIME A DOZEN AND WORTH NOTHING. THAT IS TO ME. GET IT NOW.

I also don't care what "the market" dictates for value. The market fluctuates and has been shown to be very inflated in many areas...especially modern books that have thousands in 9.6 or higher...it's a false value. Although with Spidey...since it is the most popular title it might hold it's value to some degree in the market. But, as more and more 9.6's and higher get registered...the value of these books will be much less than I think you believe. That is why I believe (for me) that they are worth nothing.

Thanks for playing....now go read your 75 duplicates of ASM 313.

JUST ONE MORE TIME FOR YOUR THICK BRAIN TO COMPREHEND...

TO ME THESE MCFARLANE SPIDEY BOOKS ARE A DIME A DOZEN AND WORTH NOTHING. THAT IS TO ME. GET IT NOW.

Thanks for playing....now go read your 75 duplicates of ASM 313.

lol

You can yell and scream all you want, but that doesn't change the facts.

If they're worth nothing "to you", I'll PM you my address, send you an appropriate amount for shipping, and you can send me all those "worthless" comics cluttering up your space.

If you refuse...they clearly are worth *something*....

(thumbs u

For those who want a summary:

Mark-1 - McFarlane ASMs are worth nothing. They're a dime a dozen.

RMA - If they're worth "nothing", I'll gladly take them off your hands for 10 cents a piece. Many people are willing to pay much more for these books, therefore your assertion that they're worth "nothing" is incorrect.

Mark-1 - It's cool that you like these books, but they're worth nothing below CGC 9.6, and I wouldn't put my money in them.

RMA - The market clearly disagrees with you.

Mark-1 - These books are worth nothing to me.

RMA - This isn't about you, this is about the market.

Mark-1 - I don't have any interest in paying for these books. They're worth nothing. I don't like them.

RMA - Are you dense? We're talking about what these books are worth ON THE MARKET.

Mark-1 - GET THIS THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL...THESE BOOKS ARE WORTHLESS TO ME.

to be continued....