• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atomic Age... legit "age" or GA "sub-era"?

25 posts in this topic

Hey Pov!!! Well, we're in the same boat I think on the Atomic/Atom Age issue. I certainly consider it an age of its own rather than a "sub-era" of the GA. I think Overstreet states the length of the AA much too long, though. You know, I have seriously tossed and turned over the Eerie # 1 ('47) subject. Indeed, it IS the first one-shot "all horror" comic, however it took an entire year basically before ACG started doing the first (late '48) all-horror series and it wasn't until 1950 that the infamous EC line really got rolling. So, I look at Eerie # 1 as more of a transitional book, and can't quite find the heart to claim it as the start of a new era in collecting. Still, logical arguements can be made for it as being the Atomic catalyst.

I admit I am biased in assuming that the so-called "AA" should coincide with the rise and fall of the pre-code horror comic, but I openly request any theories to the contrary. Let's have some fun with this! Oh, and yes Pov, I have a few back issues of HCR in stock. Not for long though, because Bud Plant had the good sense to pick us up!!! WooHoo!!!

Considering the vast number of horror books on the stands at the time, i see no reason not to base the era on horror comics. I Do start it with eerie #1, because there were so many WEIRD books coming out after the war that just don't fit anywhere, odd things that had horror elements, but weren't full blown yet. People start the SA with showcase #4, but it took awhile for that to pick up steam & direction as well.

Oh, and yes Pov, I have a few back issues of HCR in stock. Not for long though, because Bud Plant had the good sense to pick us up!!! WooHoo!!!

Woot!!!!!!!!!! Confratulations! And if there are left before or after Bud picks them up, PM me will ya????? Thanks!

PS - more to come on the AA thing but getting to bedtime.

Oh, and yes Pov, I have a few back issues of HCR in stock. Not for long though, because Bud Plant had the good sense to pick us up!!! WooHoo!!!

Woot!!!!!!!!!! Confratulations! And if there are left before or after Bud picks them up, PM me will ya????? Thanks!

PS - more to come on the AA thing but getting to bedtime.

Well after a hearty "Confratulations" 893frustrated.gifforeheadslap.gif I got two things to say to ya, Keith:

1) Please let me know how to get the first 3 volumes - as I said, have 1 and 2 but they are already tired looking. Not gotten 3 yet and looking forward to it.

As far as AA - I think the comparison between Showcase 4 and Eerie 1-shot is a good one. It took a while for the SA to come under alignment after SC4. Same with pre-code horror. But horror is not, IMHO, the definitive thing for AA. Crime, Romance and Sci-Fi were major contributors and their numbers increased in the late 40's/early 50's as the superhoeroes decreased (credit to DC for maintaining their superhero lines and only contributing three titles and 46 total issues (by my definition and count) to the pre-code horror genre.).

I continue to vaccilate about Eerie 1-shot but hope to do more looking into this weekend when I have more calm time. I also hope to glean more from my copy of SOTI during this weekend.

(So how about those back issues? and #3?). grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

I know it may not sound fair to gauge the AA around horror comics, but I'll tell you why I do. I realize of course crime, romance, sci-fi and whatever other "odd" genres were also huge during this time. However, the first crime book was Crime Does Not Pay #22 & it came out in 1942, and the first Sci-Fi comic was Planet #1 which came even earlier in 1940. These genres were already hugely successful during the height of the GA. Only "Romance", first appearing in 1946 with a one-shot, starts about the same time as horror... and EARLIER, to boot!

If it is generally agreed (between us, not Overstreet blush.gif) that the Code was the end, or at least signaled the end of the AA, then I can't find it in my heart to credit romance books with starting the AA. I don't think romance was anywhere near as instrumental as horror and crime in bringing about the Code. So, I have to go with the horror genre's rise and fall as the general marker for the AA, because the other book types, although popular, either began too early or weren't as controversial.

So, you can say either Eerie #1 ( I'm flipping on this constantly now thanks to Shivs excellent point..! ) or AiU #1 really kicked off the AA. BTW- I will PM you soon Pov with how to get some back issues.