• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman 313 Cover - Hammers at $71,200 on Ebay

263 posts in this topic

I hear kk is attending the 12 september comic art con. No bs :-)

Let us know if he buys anything, besides a ticket to attend that is.

Hello Guys,

Ya I remember that dude who reniged said I was an enemy after 2 weeks of no contact after winning the auction I posted to the list to find this guy.

Hey Ken don't listen to this buffy guy. Doesn't like ditko ...doesn't like kirby ...doesnt like mcfarlane You got to wonder does he even like comics or is he just bored.

The 313 asm cover is one Suhweeet piece of art!!!

thanks,

Matthew Ellis

At the very least it looks a helluva lot like "loving to hate the popular guy" which is just plain immature, especially in a public forum. I mean if the guy isn't exactly your cup of tea don't buy his comics, or his art and leave it at that. But please can the back handed comments in a thread surrounding an auction that could possibly approach six figures, with people literally falling all over themselves to land the piece.

The guy's art sparked something in fans, and meant alot to alot of people at an important time in their lives which is why his art will probably set records over the next couple of decades. Please show an inkling of respect.

How about disliking a guy who was an intolerable braggart a-hole during the 1990s? I not only don't care for his work, but I dislike his personality even more.

I've met Todd on three separate occassions in the '90s and he was an incredibly nice guy, willing to stay after the conventions closed to sign comics or draw sketches. No inkling whatsoever of being an egotist, braggart, etc.

He was a class act every time I met him (thumbs u

McFarlane overrated in what sense? Dynamism? Ability to sell comics? Insane popularity in his time? Inspiring the next generation of Spidey artists? Nostalgic pull with fans 20 Years later? I mean give me a friggin' break already.

I'm so sick of all the haters on these boards who continue to disrespect the most important artist of his generation. And why? Because the guy didn't draw perfect anatomy? Kirby and Ditko (whom I both love and respect) weren't exactly Frazetta or (Insert your favorite EC guy here) when it came to drawing the human figure either. Both took liberties in the name of style and dynamism and both of those artists are held up as gods (rightfully so) by the very same nay sayers.

Seems a bit hypocritical to me, no?

At the very least it looks a helluva lot like "loving to hate the popular guy" which is just plain immature, especially in a public forum. I mean if the guy isn't exactly your cup of tea don't buy his comics, or his art and leave it at that. But please can the back handed comments in a thread surrounding an auction that could possibly approach six figures, with people literally falling all over themselves to land the piece.

The guy's art sparked something in fans, and meant alot to alot of people at an important time in their lives which is why his art will probably set records over the next couple of decades. Please show an inkling of respect.

Ken Rodgers

Ken, I agree with you wholeheartedly!

I hear kk is attending the 12 september comic art con. No bs :-)

Let us know if he buys anything, besides a ticket to attend that is.

KK is not Brad Savage. I know Brad Savage and he knows nothing about these boards.

Who said Brad Savage is KK? KK's name is Matt. Brad Savage was an alias KK used on Comic Art L. No one ever believed that KK was really Brad.

Hello Guys,

Ya I remember that dude who reniged said I was an enemy after 2 weeks of no contact after winning the auction I posted to the list to find this guy.

Hey Ken don't listen to this buffy guy. Doesn't like ditko ...doesn't like kirby ...doesnt like mcfarlane You got to wonder does he even like comics or is he just bored.

The 313 asm cover is one Suhweeet piece of art!!!

thanks,

Matthew Ellis

I admitted I was in the minority about McFarlane. Bored? Maybe. I do find listening to people trying to justify like this cover to be incredibly boring.

We're talking about a guy that essentially shunned the very industry that made him. Some people just can't handle success I suppose.

He is the Garth Brooks of the comic industry.

There was a high bidder at $58,100 and then another guy swooped in with 10 seconds remaining and took it over the dude's proxy bid to $71,200. If that last dude hadn't stepped in, this would of gone much "cheaper" ... if you can call $58,100 cheap

Similiar to the $100K Daredevil ... without one of the final two that one would of went for much less as well.

It only takes two to tango ... to the moon!

Maybe. Maybe not. Don't forget the Heritage 20% premium ... $71K is really $85K at Heritage ...

The seller may or may not net as much but the buyer would likely pay more.

McFarlane ASM covers have sold for more privately, but usually with time payments. For an eBay sale, with the implied instant all-cash payment, this is pretty impressive.

Say whatever you want about the guy, he does have his fans.

Maybe. Maybe not. Don't forget the Heritage 20% premium ... $71K is really $85K at Heritage ...

The seller may or may not net as much but the buyer would likely pay more.

McFarlane ASM covers have sold for more privately, but usually with time payments. For an eBay sale, with the implied instant all-cash payment, this is pretty impressive.

Say whatever you want about the guy, he does have his fans.

He does indeed.

Low feedback buyer. Maybe Todd bought it back

This piece had 2 people willing to pay over 70k for it. Thats also not including the people who tried to place a bid higher then the 58k but couldnt once it hit that price with 8-10 seconds left. People forget that. I know of a couple people who wanted this piece at pretty close to the winning bid and I have no idea who bought it or who the underbidder was.

thanks,

Matthew

This piece had 2 people willing to pay over 70k for it. Thats also not including the people who tried to place a bid higher then the 58k but couldnt once it hit that price with 8-10 seconds left. People forget that. I know of a couple people who wanted this piece at pretty close to the winning bid and I have no idea who bought it or who the underbidder was.

thanks,

Matthew

Not sure if that was a good strategy - you can always increase your max bid - regardless of other bidders. If other bidders really wanted it for more, they could have put in a snipe bid or just increased their max bid at any time before the auction close. No doubt, 10 seconds isn't enough time to increase your max bid further, but it's not a good strategy to wait until the last 10 seconds to increase your max bid anyway if you must have a piece and you're willing to pay more.

Very strong hammer price. Looks like it was won by a newer eBayer who beat out an experienced buyer/seller.

Matthew, sorry this strategy didn't work for you either:

Q: Hello, I am very interested in this cover and was wondering if you would end the auction now for 25k? Please let me know thanks, Matthew Aug-29-10

A: I have offers up to 75k and much more to end the auction, but I cannot under the ebay rules. Sorry dude.