• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 year old reads comic & smokes in 1959

64 posts in this topic

Are candy cigarettes still being made today?

You can find candy cigarettes they look like (slightly altered) cigarette packs sometimes with cartoon characters on them. The big difference is that the pack says "Candy Sticks" not "candy cigarettes". I used to collect Popeye stuff and had several old style and newer ones.

I used to sell old cigarette ads on Ebay. Some are pretty funny "Fresh as a daisy when you smoke newports" "Blow smoke in my face and I'll follow you anywhere".

Between the ads in the 50's and 60's from Dr.s saying that "Tareyton lites will aleve your asthmatic breathing problems" and "A kid can grow up strong and happy eating nothing but White Castle burgers" It is surprising comics would be what ended up rotting their brains. :insane:

In 50 years, we'll likely be looking back at pictures with 2 year old's talking on cellphones in the same way.

Very true.

since when are cell phones as dangerous to your health as smoking?

Remember, we're talking about LITTLE KIDS here, whose still-forming skulls don't have the density to ward off the radiation - I don't know of any health professional who recommends cell phone use for young children and I believe there is legislation coming up putting a minimum age on its usage.

It's still not fully safe for adults, but insanely risky for little kids to be gabbing on the cell phone.

It's been over 25 years I believe, since Motorola first came out with a cell phone....and we are doing fine so far. (shrug)

Young children owning and using cell phones (which is what we're talking about here) is a *very* recent trend, with virtually no data to speak of.

It's creepy how stupid some parents are - I was watching a HBO doc on homeless kids, and they had toddlers with cell phones and babies drinking Koolaid Jammmers. doh!

mickeycig.jpg

comic related! enjoying a mickey mouse comic with a cigarette. that's the april 1959 issue of mickey mouse 65

:censored::mad:

THIS IS WHY KIDS SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO READ COMICS UNTIL THEY ARE MUCH OLDER!!!! HE DOESN'T EVEN REALIZE WHAT DAMAGE THAT SMOKE HAS ON A COMIC BOOK OF THAT IMPORTANCE!!!! :pullhair:

:roflmao:

:roflmao: :roflmao:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Now that's the funniest thing I have read here in a while! (worship)

It isn't just cellphones, but all wireless devices - whether that be cordless phones, wireless routers, peak saver thermostat, smart meter, etc. - all these devices use the same carrier signal which is known to pose harm to human health.

Here's a primer for any parent concerned about the environmental influences of EMF, RF (Radio Frequencies) or Microwaves in the home:

how to reduce emf exposure for your family inside your home

http://www.organicbaby.co.nz/articles/ecoliving/emf.aspx

Here is a 10-year old report conducted by the Royal Society of Canada which describes in detail the biological effects that are known from microwave exposure. The Royal Society of Canada is the highest scientific authority we have in Canada. Health Canada commissioned this report:

A Review of the Potential Health Risks of Radiofrequency Fields from Wireless Telecommunication Devices:

http://www.rsc.ca/files/publications/expert_panels/RF/RFreport-en.pdf

From the study:

This document from the highest scientific authority in our country clearly outlines that biological effects and health effects do occur from microwave radiation used by “wireless communication devices” including the specific frequencies transmitted by our school WiFi devices, and at well below the established “safe” guidelines printed by Health Canada in Safety Code 6, based on the thermal effect.

Specifically, the Royal Society of Canada concludes that well below thermal effects the microwaves used by WiFi devices can compromise the integrity of the blood-brain barrier (Sect 6.6 pg 44).

It also concludes that microwave radiation from wireless communication devices at intensities below health Canada’s Guidelines can activate ODC salivary enzymes known to promote cancer in humans. (Sect 6.3.3 pg 41-42)

It concludes that microwaves at these frequencies and below Health Canada’s Guidelines disrupt calcium regulation. (Sect 6.2 pg 35)

It also concludes that there is “strong evidence that microwave irradiation produces behavioural and associated biochemical changes at or below the occupational exposure limits in SC6”. (Sect 6.7 pg 46)

Some accompanying facts:

1) test subjects are usually males, approx. 180lb

2) there are no studies involving children, even though transmitters that are being used in schools are much stronger than home WiFi (each router will have 8-10 transmitters in it)

An updated study would surely conclude the following:

1) Wifi, WiMax and cellphone tower clusters in close proximity to Radio Towers would intensify the biological response as outlined in the Royal Society of Canada report. On average, the levels found in these "hot spots" are ten times the exposure levels you would find in areas absent of these communication towers.

2) Cellphones, especially multi-function phone/music/video/email devices pose a much greater risk when young children use these devices to listen to music while receiving emails/texts or phone calls (i.e. radiation travels to the brain much easier when ear plugs [wired or bluetooth] are worn).

3) Those most vulnerable are young children (under the age of 14), the elderly and pregnant mothers.

It's been over 25 years I believe, since Motorola first came out with a cell phone....and we are doing fine so far. (shrug)

Young children owning and using cell phones (which is what we're talking about here) is a *very* recent trend, with virtually no data to speak of.

It's creepy how stupid some parents are - I was watching a HBO doc on homeless kids, and they had toddlers with cell phones and babies drinking Koolaid Jammmers. doh!

I have the cheapest of the cheap cell phones. I have had it since before our house fire and in the house fire I lost the back to the phone so now it's back it covered with good old duct tape. But my ten yr old granddaughter is just tickled pink she got a touch screen to replace her pink razor phone...I am insanely jealous..but she is 10..10yrs old..it's a bit much to have something so fancy.

As for babies drinking jammers well some people do not grasp that children are still developing. They feed them whatever junk they eat. I know I worked with a girl who was talking to someone else about her baby loving twinkies. He baby was not even 9 months old and she would soak the twinkie in milk and feed it to him with a spoon..seriously bad idea..you couldn't tell her that..She was all about how happy the baby looked when he was slurping up that junk. She hated veggies and saw no reason why the baby couldn't eat her foods just chopped up or pureed..Pizza,oreos,doritos..

Having three kids and 4 grandkids..I would have serious problems with a twinkie diet for any of the grandkids. I may joke about filling them up with mountain dew, ho hos and pixie stix before sending them home but I never actually feed them that junk. 2 of the 4 are health nuts so it's no worry.

I do however usually let them say hello to someone on my phone occassionally but none of them have their own phones yet..except Shelbey the 10 yr old.

It isn't just cellphones, but all wireless devices - whether that be cordless phones, wireless routers, peak saver thermostat, smart meter, etc. - all these devices use the same carrier signal which is known to pose harm to human health.

Here's a primer for any parent concerned about the environmental influences of EMF, RF (Radio Frequencies) or Microwaves in the home:

Here is a 10-year old report conducted by the Royal Society of Canada which describes in detail the biological effects that are known from microwave exposure. The Royal Society of Canada is the highest scientific authority we have in Canada. Health Canada commissioned this report:

A Review of the Potential Health Risks of Radiofrequency Fields from Wireless Telecommunication Devices:

From the study:

This document from the highest scientific authority in our country clearly outlines that biological effects and health effects do occur from microwave radiation used by “wireless communication devices” including the specific frequencies transmitted by our school WiFi devices, and at well below the established “safe” guidelines printed by Health Canada in Safety Code 6, based on the thermal effect.

Specifically, the Royal Society of Canada concludes that well below thermal effects the microwaves used by WiFi devices can compromise the integrity of the blood-brain barrier (Sect 6.6 pg 44).

It also concludes that microwave radiation from wireless communication devices at intensities below health Canada’s Guidelines can activate ODC salivary enzymes known to promote cancer in humans. (Sect 6.3.3 pg 41-42)

It concludes that microwaves at these frequencies and below Health Canada’s Guidelines disrupt calcium regulation. (Sect 6.2 pg 35)

It also concludes that there is “strong evidence that microwave irradiation produces behavioural and associated biochemical changes at or below the occupational exposure limits in SC6”. (Sect 6.7 pg 46)

Some accompanying facts:

2) there are no studies involving children, even though transmitters that are being used in schools are much stronger than home WiFi (each router will have 8-10 transmitters in it)

1) Wifi, WiMax and cellphone tower clusters in close proximity to Radio Towers would intensify the biological response as outlined in the Royal Society of Canada. On average, the levels found in these "hot spots" are ten times the exposure levels you would find in areas absent of these communication towers.

2) Cellphones, especially multi-function phone/music/video/email devices pose a much greater risk when young children use these devices to listen to music while receiving emails/texts or phone calls (i.e. radiation travels to the brain much easier when ear plugs [wired or bluetooth] are worn).

3) Those most vulnerable are young children (under the age of 14), the elderly and pregnant mothers.

But this is only in Canadians right :baiting: Us Americans find those hotspots and eradicate them..they could have dubya-m-dees and we wouldn't have none of that over he'ya

Just kidding ..seriously though it reminds me of a not so bright friend of mine. She was getting cigarettes out of a vending machine and says "Dang can I borrow $4 I need to get another pack." I asked why she needed two packs she explained she didn't need two,but since she had gotten pregnant she did not smoke the packs that said "May cause birth defects in unborn children." on them she was going for a pack that said "Smoking has been shown in studies to cause lung cancer emphysema and other breathing problems."

I don't know if cigarettes still can choose what warnings they put on the pack or if they have to show them all now but she seriously thought only the packs labeled as such caused birth defects in children..and trying to convince her they were all equally bad for pregnant moms was like explaining french to my cat..only the cat gets it better..

From the study:

Some accompanying facts:

1) Wifi, WiMax and cellphone tower clusters in close proximity to Radio Towers would intensify the biological response as outlined in the Royal Society of Canada report. On average, the levels found in these "hot spots" are ten times the exposure levels you would find in areas absent of these communication towers.

When a study from a credible Country comes forth........I will note it. :gossip:

:jokealert:

Wasn't drinking too much water bad for us a study or three ago? (shrug)

But seriously, my two humble cents are - we are all going to die from something. My departure could very well be from reheating my coffee in the microwave, as I talk on my iphone, while reading and posting on the Boards all at the same time.

Just kidding ..seriously though it reminds me of a not so bright friend of mine. She was getting cigarettes out of a vending machine and says "Dang can I borrow $4 I need to get another pack." I asked why she needed two packs she explained she didn't need two,but since she had gotten pregnant she did not smoke the packs that said "May cause birth defects in unborn children." on them she was going for a pack that said "Smoking has been shown in studies to cause lung cancer emphysema and other breathing problems."

I don't know if cigarettes still can choose what warnings they put on the pack or if they have to show them all now but she seriously thought only the packs labeled as such caused birth defects in children..and trying to convince her they were all equally bad for pregnant moms was like explaining french to my cat..only the cat gets it better..

That wasn't your next door neighbor, was it? The one that doesn't know how to do anything because she never cared to learn how

No different girl I used to work in an office with. It was like talking to a big blank space..

Some people I really can't understand how they get along with such limited skills and no common sense what so ever.

In 50 years, we'll likely be looking back at pictures with 2 year old's talking on cellphones in the same way.

Very true.

since when are cell phones as dangerous to your health as smoking?

Brain tumor! Just like they didnt know the hazards of smoking back then, we dont know the hazards of having a cell phone glued to your ear. :insane:

My grandfather smoked and drank till he was 93 and fathered 10 kids,Just died of old age no cancer. I guess he was one of the lucky ones. ;)