• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Giants, The Good &The Bad
1 1

29 posts in this topic

I am thinking about picking up a Fox Giant, however, it is priced 120% over guide (not 20% over, but 120% over). And I want it, not because of the book itself, but because I am seeking one of the remaindered books contained within it. It is in a desirable grade for such a Giant, over 6.0, but it's raw and not slabbed.

Does anyone think I should hold off and try to wait it out for something to appear on eBay? My own experience tells me that it's tough to find any Fox Giants in grades above 5.5. Is 120% over guide totally unreasonable? After all, I seek only 1 of the books contained within it, and from the other three books, there is no Phantom Lady or All Top to account for the high premium?

Has anyone else ever bought a Fox Giant for one of the books it contained, to save a place in their collections until they could pick up the actual book itself (which are really difficult to track down sometimes)? And besides, ideally I'd like to own the actual book in it's entirety including front and back covers (and inside covers). Any advice would be appreciated because I'm in a Fox giant conundrum.

My cheapskate opinion: do not pay the premium for the place holder, esp. given no other desirable stories in the Giant. But that's me. Maybe this would work for you as you really want the story you're chasing after. My experience is generally within 2 weeks the book you are looking for will show up somewhere. Patience is sometimes a great virtue.

I wouldn't do it unless I just had to have the book. You want it just for a place holder, so that's a high premium to pay for a temporary book.

I'd wait and see if I couldn't find one down the road closer to guide or even less. Mid to later run Fox books are not that high demand these days (yes, there are a few exceptions.)

I believe the Giants are not easy to find, so the price is in accordance with someone who wants the Giant

If you just need a place holder and want to use one of the books inside, I'd wait. Stuff ALWAYS shows up on eBay, or do a want to buy post on the boards

I can easily see some Fox Giants selling for twice guide in solid midgrade - but it does seem an odd way to acquire what is essentially a coverless copy of a book you want inside - especially with Fox starting their stories on the inside front covers.

Thanks to everyone here, your input was just what I was seeking, confirmation of how I was feeling inside. Because even if I acquired the Fox Giant, I'd still be looking for the original book that is my objective. And 120% over guide is very expensive. If was was at guide, it would be affordable at around $150 instead of over $400!

How about making an offer at a better price, sounds overpriced to me unless you are talking something incredibly rare or desirable in the contents.

Any discount a major dealer gives is really a token gesture. But so acquiring the book because it is 'desirable in the contents,' that was the Pro, in my own internal argument. But because the Cons far outweigh the Pros, it doesn't seem to make sense to spend that kind of dough on a book that in essence is a placeholder.

The advice here was quite unanimous, and a consensus, which I'll heed. Where is a good place on this site to post one's want list?????

I'm grateful to all who replied.

I haven't found a Phantom Lady comic in any of the Fox giants I've looked at but the romance stories and westerns are good enough. No premiums on these but probably could have been on the variety.

They're out there. I picked up one from Dale Roberts that had several Phantom Lady stories in it.

I will tell you straight up that some of them are VERY difficult to find, and some of them are easier to find. You also have to consider the content. If you get a book with 3 Phantom Lady stories, or with 3 Matt Baker stories, then you are going to pay more. If you get a book with just "stuff" inside, then you should be able to pick it up cheaper.

Thanks. It's funny, I had never discovered that board yet. I found it quite disorganized (as is The Selling one), and can imagine someone's want/sell list quickly ending up on page 10 and soon forgotten about.

Even if a Fox Giant does not contain a Phantom Lady, many of the interior Fox romance comics are uncommon and sometimes scarce. I suppose the same thing applies to other companies who have rebound books like St. John's Giant Comics Edition. Has anyone bought a Giant Comics Edition for the interior books as apposed to for their from covers (ie #12 & #15?)

I have a two Fox Giants already, they are a grab-bag of fun for Fox Fans.

There's one attached below.

Need Some Vocal GGA Participants

GGA FORUM: http://www.SpankingPanels.com/forum/

103653.jpg.8764e7a021e9edb2231c9cc3ba6ea805.jpg

It would be interesting to see from others who own these same books, the different remaindered book variations, and the degree of differences and similarities within the same issue. Do you own this book or Secret Love Stories (above)? What do yours contain?

For the record, this copy contains (in that order):

Murder Incorporated #2 (3/48),

Murder Incorporated #1 (1/48),

Murder Incorporated #9 (3/49)

Famous Crimes #5 (1/49).

Need Some Vocal GGA Participants

GGA FORUM: http://www.SpankingPanels.com/forum/

103685.jpg.3d89b2581ad0c90d547fdd86fa30bf33.jpg

I haven't found a Phantom Lady comic in any of the Fox giants I've looked at but the romance stories and westerns are good enough. No premiums on these but probably could have been on the variety.

There could still be a small premium based on the high demand for all these Fox Giants. But not to the same degree as, if any contained a remaindered Phantom Lady or All Top.

I couldn't help but notice in Overstreet #39, that they bothered to list the contents of Variety Comics #nn 1950 as follows:

Jungle Jo

My Secret Affair

Crimes By Women

My Story

Yet, they know very well that contents will vary. Why would they do that? And then why did they not list any issue numbers? The only thing that is a known constant would be the covers and interior of the covers? Strange.

Variety #nn, Fox Giant 1950 (From Comics.org):

Feature Presentation, A (Fox, 1950 series) #5,

Jungle Jo (Fox, 1950 series) #1,

My Love Memoirs (Fox, 1949 series) #?

Romeo Tubbs (Fox, 1950 series) #26.

Variety #nn, Fox Giant 1950 (From DigitalComicMuseum.com):

Crimes by Women (Fox, 1948 series) #12

My Love Memoirs (Fox, 1949 series) #12

Jungle Lil (Fox, 1950 series) #1

A (Fox, 1950 series) #5

Does anyone else have any variations of contents for this book?

103690.jpg.16bf16fa62db53ad7ad721023d3b1b69.jpg

I'VE got a copy that I can deslab...

Alright, go for it Comicdey. De-Slab away. Let's see what you come up with. You weren't being sarcastic were you? :)

This brings up another point about Fox Giants that I've always thought about. Once CGC slabs a Fox giant, it's contents are lost forever unless it gets cracked open, right?

So here's my suggestion to CGC:

Hence forth when slabbing a Fox Giant (or any other Comic with remaindered books), list the contents of the interior on the outer label, which should include the remaindered book's Title, Issue Number(and Publishing date if possible). All that info is freely available to them from GCD, unless an issue is not indexed. Then I dunno. Any suggestions? But if the data is known, then I feel it is CGC's obligation to list it on the label since a Collector would like to know what's inside his book.

I'VE got a copy that I can deslab...

Alright, go for it Comicdey. De-Slab away. Let's see what you come up with. You weren't being sarcastic were you? :)

This brings up another point about Fox Giants that I've always thought about. Once CGC slabs a Fox giant, it's contents are lost forever unless it gets cracked open, right?

So here's my suggestion to CGC:

Hence forth when slabbing a Fox Giant (or any other Comic with remaindered books), list the contents of the interior on the outer label, which should include the remaindered book's Title, Issue Number(and Publishing date if possible). All that info is freely available to them from GCD, unless an issue is not indexed. Then I dunno. Any suggestions? But if the data is known, then I feel it is CGC's obligation to list it on the label since a Collector would like to know what's inside his book.

Nope, I've wanted to see what's in side it for a long time and it's only a 6.0 or 6.5 anyway.