• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Auction results

86 posts in this topic

Stupid people paying stupid money for stupid books.

If the buyer is who I think it is, he has probably funded that book, along with many others by pressing/flipping to collectors who are a couple of decades late to the game, and desperate to catch up.

Not sure I'd call that stupid.

it's it's who everyone knows it is, he's funded this by being so early to put together the highest graded ASM runs that he can justify spending whatever he feels like to upgrade even further

Yep, what I meant when I said others are decades late.

He bought is ASM 1 9.8 raw. Right there, that justifies spending whatever it takes to get the rest.

100% in agreement

Wish she'd pick me up at a cougar bar. :cloud9:

You aren't that young and she isn't that old.

:makepoint:

In AK's dreamworld, he can be as old as he wants to be. :sumo:

:banana:

In my dreamworld, I'm making you Kelly Brook's bicycle seat.

Speaking of the ASM 1 9.8...anyone know whether or not a scan exists (for public viewing)? I've been dying to see it for years now.

The #2 went for a surprisingly high price given the poor page quality; Rube11 got a much better copy about 1.5 years ago for a lot less during a time when prices were generally far higher than they are today. The #5 price was strong as well.

:o

How da F...K do you remember that?

Because #2 is the only copy of FF I don't own at all, and I wanted to bid on your copy but fell asleep when the auctions ended that night. :mad:

It seems you miss a lot of books this way. Drink some freaking coffee. :baiting:

The #2 went for a surprisingly high price given the poor page quality; Rube11 got a much better copy about 1.5 years ago for a lot less during a time when prices were generally far higher than they are today. The #5 price was strong as well.

:o

How da F...K do you remember that?

Because #2 is the only copy of FF I don't own at all, and I wanted to bid on your copy but fell asleep when the auctions ended that night. :mad:

It seems you miss a lot of books this way. Drink some freaking coffee. :baiting:

Good sex helps enhance your awakening skills.

Good sex helps enhance your awakening skills.

That was probably my problem, rube11 bought that book in late 2008 I believe, and that's right about the time the ex and I started going on the rocks. :eek:

He bought is ASM 1 9.8 raw. Right there, that justifies spending whatever it takes to get the rest.

Anybody who's ever bought a comic after about 1960 is decades late. The poor fools buying books throughout the "THE MARKET IS DOOMED" heyday of these boards were decades late, too, but they've made out, albeit not as well as pre-CGC buyers of high grade have. The mid-90s was the time when doom and gloom was far worse than it is today, with good reason...holofoil-madness had killed the newsstand market and the vintage market was a mine field filled with the risk of undisclosed restoration as far as the eye could see, so if you were buying high grade during the low point of the back issue market, you absolutely deserve to have made out. There just isn't a time in the history of the market after Marvel kicked into full gear where people haven't been thinking they were late...and history has proven every single one of them wrong. You and I could list two dozen differences between now and 1995...and astute collectors in 1995 could have listed a similar laundry list of differences between then and 1980.

Far too early to call which inning we're in at this point...it's somewhere before the 9th, nearly impossible to say how far before. (shrug)

Anybody who's ever bought a comic after about 1960 is decades late. The poor fools buying books throughout the "THE MARKET IS DOOMED" heyday of these boards were decades late, too, but they've made out, albeit not as well as pre-CGC buyers of high grade have. The mid-90s was the time when doom and gloom was far worse than it is today, with good reason...holofoil-madness had killed the newsstand market and the vintage market was a mine field filled with the risk of undisclosed restoration as far as the eye could see, so if you were buying high grade during the low point of the back issue market, you absolutely deserve to have made out. There just isn't a time in the history of the market after Marvel kicked into full gear where people haven't been thinking they were late...and history has proven every single one of them wrong. You and I could list two dozen differences between now and 1995...and astute collectors in 1995 could have listed a similar laundry list of differences between then and 1980.

Far too early to call which inning we're in at this point...it's somewhere before the 9th, nearly impossible to say how far before. (shrug)

How far we are from the ninth inning depends, at least in terms of Marvel SA, on how far we are from Brulato cashing out. The selling of his collection will bring about the apocalypse. :grin:

How far we are from the ninth inning depends, at least in terms of Marvel SA, on how far we are from Brulato cashing out. The selling of his collection will bring about the apocalypse. :grin:

I can't really see that. I have to think he's had deep pockets since before he was your age; what does he do, I think he owns a manufacturing company of some type? I know he was spending $100K+ on books in the mid-90s, and that's a lot of money for that time period. Then and now, few Marvel collectors were matching his spending power, so if he sold it all, it'd just dip from the huge prices he's been forced to pay in recent years for some of his 9.8s. His collection would get split between the others you see at the top of the registry and the others who aren't listed there.

I can't really see that. I have to think he's had deep pockets since before he was your age; what does he do, I think he owns a manufacturing company of some type? I know he was spending $100K+ on books in the mid-90s, and that's a lot of money for that time period. Then and now, few Marvel collectors were matching his spending power, so if he sold it all, it'd just dip from the huge prices he's been forced to pay in recent years for some of his 9.8s. His collection would get split between the others you see at the top of the registry and the others who aren't listed there.

I don't know. I've always wondered whether or not the market could absorb his collection. I really don't know, but I feel like it wouldn't be able to.

As for what he does; not sure, but I heard something about a family business, which might explain why he had that kind of spending power from such a young age.

1) I'd like to applaud the OP for his amazing restraint in the use of caps and exclamation points.

Actually, after seeing some of the prices that were just paid in this auction, I feel the need to borrow a page from Ben's old playbook:

MORE INCREDIBLE SALES FROM DOUG SCHMELL!!!!!!!

HOW DOES HE DO IT???!!!!!!!!

1) I'd like to applaud the OP for his amazing restraint in the use of caps and exclamation points.

Actually, after seeing some of the prices that were just paid in this auction, I feel the need to borrow a page from Ben's old playbook:

Does Ben actually ever discuss anything in these threads he starts, or just begs for others to do the talking?

Does Ben actually ever discuss anything in these threads he starts, or just begs for others to do the talking?

after he canonized jason ewert, it was mum's the word

I don't know. I've always wondered whether or not the market could absorb his collection. I really don't know, but I feel like it wouldn't be able to.

As for what he does; not sure, but I heard something about a family business, which might explain why he had that kind of spending power from such a young age.

My guess: The keys, high demand early, and classic cover issues would be fine. The common issues would probably drop, in some cases quite a bit.

hg is great but unless you're playing "the game" or have unlimited funds... its just a bunch of stress for little long term enjoyment (shrug)

I admire some of your FFs mind you (thumbs u . I've gone full circle and come back to 1995 though, where I would admire 9.0s and a fat stack of cash better.