• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detroit Fanfare 10-30 and 10-31 w/ Stan Lee on Sat Only

27 posts in this topic

The Detroit Con in Novi used to be a twice yearly event. It is now only in the spring. I hear grumblings about it but I hear grumblings about every convention that has been going on for more than a few years. Convention organizers seem to change from saviours to demons in about four years, at least in the eyes of some of their attendees and guests.

Anyway the Detroit Con seems vulnerable to other organizers. This convention will fill the gap left when the Detroit Con stopped doing their fall show. It may also attract disgruntled fans and guests. Also, they are letting people in really cheap. That's an attraction to me. I don't know what their tables cost but if they are cheap enough we will see more and different dealers.

The Chicago con now has competition and the Toronto Comic Expo has revitalized competition too. I don't pay much attention to the conventions in other cities but people were calling this past summer the summer of the convention wars.

The first convention I ever attended outside my own city was the Detroit Triple Fan Fare in 1970. It was a real eye opener. I have very fond memories of it. This is the Detroit Fan Fare with many of the same guests who were around forty years ago as fans or young pros.

It sounds great to me. I plan to attend. So do all the other old coots in Toronto.

The Detroit Con in Novi used to be a twice yearly event. It is now only in the spring. I hear grumblings about it but I hear grumblings about every convention that has been going on for more than a few years. Convention organizers seem to change from saviours to demons in about four years, at least in the eyes of some of their attendees and guests.

Anyway the Detroit Con seems vulnerable to other organizers. This convention will fill the gap left when the Detroit Con stopped doing their fall show. It may also attract disgruntled fans and guests. Also, they are letting people in really cheap. That's an attraction to me. I don't know what their tables cost but if they are cheap enough we will see more and different dealers.

The Chicago con now has competition and the Toronto Comic Expo has revitalized competition too. I don't pay much attention to the conventions in other cities but people were calling this past summer the summer of the convention wars.

The first convention I ever attended outside my own city was the Detroit Triple Fan Fare in 1970. It was a real eye opener. I have very fond memories of it. This is the Detroit Fan Fare with many of the same guests who were around forty years ago as fans or young pros.

It sounds great to me. I plan to attend. So do all the other old coots in Toronto.

Believe it or not, Motor City II was scheduled for the exact same weekend this year! It will now be November 20th and 21st.

Not me, this doesn't seem worth the drive - especially on Halloween weekend and a couple of weeks after the New York Comic Con. There are too many events scheduled that specific weekend.

Heck, most of the time I don't think Motor City is worth the drive. Ben, maybe I'll see if you can get you a couple of hardcovers for Starlin to sign if you are up for it.

I'm told that Dennis of Wonderworld in Taylor, MI is the Main Organizer. He does seem to get plenty of golden age and silver age.

John of Comics and Friends in Mentor, Ohio (who's also an Overstreet Adviser) has told me he's setting up there. He always has a ton of gold and silver age.

When I purchased my overstreet price guide from Comics and More in Warren, MI; the owner mentioned this show, essentially supported by several store owners. I think he'll be setting up.

I'm actually warmed up to setting up myself, although I can't due to a conflict. With several store owners involved informing their customer fan base, this has a decent chance for success.

With the free pass, I would think this'd be a good show to attend.