• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four #55 cover at whatifkirby.com!

26 posts in this topic

Kirby may not have been the greatest artist of all time

but .

Pardon me?

I think there are many comic artists that surpass Kirby's ability to draw as the eye would see it but Kirby had a wonderful imagination and an ability to draw exciting, dynamic images. Kirby is my favorite artist and I admire him greatly.

Kirby may not have been the greatest artist of all time

but he sure could draw excitement.

Maybe not the greatest artist of fine art of all time but certainly the greatest comic artist of all time:

http://www.acomics.com/best10.htm

See? It's been proven.

That settles it then. On the other hand, no McFarlane on the list? (shrug)

Yes I can answer this one since I created What if Kirby. What if Kirby is a site to show "what if" other inkers inked certain published comic art pages. For example, the majority of The Mighty Thor was inked by Vince Colletta. I would recreate Kirby's pencils to large comic art size from photocopies presented in the Kirby Collector. I would then ask Mike Royer or Joe Sinnott or Ayers, among others to inkers, to ink and letter the recreated pencils. So the "What if" is what if Joe Sinnott inked Thor in 1966, what would it look like?

The site also has a growing collection of original comic art pages in the Gallery section. Art was scanned from art comic art dealers and collectors who have allowed their art to be scanned for the site and the Kirby Museum's original art digital archive. A future plan is to have "virtual portfolios" so members can construct their own ideal art collection. This could loosely fall under the "what if" concept by thinking..."what if" money or availability of art weren't considerations so I could have any Kirby art I wanted...what would that be?