• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Too much spine roll for 9.6?

21 posts in this topic

I know what you're thinking. "How could there be any spine roll on a 9.6?" Look at the right edge. I think this is a comic where it would be tempting to buy the grade, and not the comic. But if I'm going to pay 9.6 prices, I don't want even a hint of spine roll.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2230088242&category=33808

"How could there be any spine roll on a 9.6?"

You stole my thunder... tongue.gif

Well it's slabbed isn't it?

What are you worried about? confused.gif

Besides isn't that one of those giant sized issues with the sqaure spine?

(I don't know my DCs... sorry.gif )

So that's not a roll but some of the white from a miswrap right?

It appears as though the cover is not square with the inside pages. See the TRC and BRC. To me, this is spine roll, not a miswrap.

confused-smiley-013.gif

The book also has a slight miswrap/miscut, but as Zipper pointed out, I don't believe that's what Rob means, which is why he suggested you look at the RIGHT side of the book, not the left where the spine is.

Why would you downgrade for such a tiny spine offset? It's easily correctable unless it's not really a spine roll and instead the book was put together slightly off-kilter. If it is a spine roll, I don't see evidence of any permanent damage.

Besides isn't that one of those giant sized issues with the sqaure spine?

Nope...the DCs for the most part weren't squarebound but stapled!

Why would you downgrade for such a tiny spine offset?

I wouldn't usually, but for a 9.6, my expectation is that it's otherwise PERFECT, except for a tiny color fleck or something. If I want a comic with a noticable spine offset, I'll buy an 8.0.

Not to change the subject too much, but the face on Batman isn't Adams. The rest of the cover is Adams, but it looks to me like Giordano or someone did the face on the unmasked Batman on the cover...?

As for the book, I agree it looks kinda funky, but I do think it's a miswrap, not a spine roll.

As for the book, I agree it looks kinda funky, but I do think it's a miswrap, not a spine roll.

I don't disagree with you there. But regardless if it is due to a manufacturing error or wear by the reader, my original question meant to ask, don't you want your 9.6's to look better than that? It may qualify as an official 9.6 grade, but I don't like it. It'll be interesting to see what it goes for. I have a couple C-notes dying to be spent on a correctly-wrapped 9.6 copy.

I have a couple C-notes dying to be spent on a correctly-wrapped 9.6 copy.

That sounds like an invitation for someone to buy this copy, correct the roll, and re-sell it to you for 3x the price! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

confused.gif He can bid on this copy. Although the centering is off a tad, not as bad as the first copy! cool.gif

confused.gif Yes, he CAN bid on this copy, but he says he doesn't want to because of the roll and/or wrap and/or cut... confused.gifconfused.gif

confused.gif He can bid on this copy. Although the centering is off a tad, not as bad as the first copy! cool.gif

confused.gif Yes, he CAN bid on this copy, but he says he doesn't want to because of the roll and/or wrap and/or cut... confused.gifconfused.gif

The second copy is essentially how it was to be centered. DC initially was going to have these books as squarebounds but chose not to for whatever reason. The white part was supposed to be the spine area.

The second copy is essentially how it was to be centered. DC initially was going to have these books as squarebounds but chose not to for whatever reason. The white part was supposed to be the spine area.

(insert joke "Who are you and what have you done with greggy!?!? mad.gif)

I didn't know that! I always wondered if perfect centering on these would have the white stripe folded in half (straddling the spine), or if the left edge of the white stripe should be flush with the spine fold? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think that perfect centering should have the left edge flush with the spine fold. I read the part about the squarebonds somewhere but don't recall where.

tonofbricks.gif

Here's an example of the change from squarebounds to the stapled issues. The first scan's spine area has exactly the same info as shown on the second scan's book - "DC - Gigantic Strange Adventures 25c"

416140-SA226.JPG

416142-SA227.jpg

Which copy were you referring to? I didn't see another link. But I did find this, recently listed:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2230361177&category=75

I was looking at the other, but it got pulled early. The cream to OW on this one is a turn off.

I hope some one informed the good people at DC that Africa is a continent,...

HA, that's funny! 27_laughing.gif I love to see predictions from the past. WW3 in '86?

And why did they think Bobby Kennedy would be President?