• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Im terrified to submit books for grading.

62 posts in this topic

Would you really,without a doubt trust any postal service with your prized A.F. #15 vf-?

Yes I sure would. I find most postal workers and courier employees to be very conscientious and hardworking people. Not to mention, very respectful of the items they are delivering.

From what I understand you can insure USPS registered mail stuff for an insane amount of money and it's dirt cheap.

In nearly 10 years, and after having 1000's of packages shipped to and from me, all around the world, including books in the high 5 and 6 figure range I have only had a total of 3 packages go missing ever...and all 3 of those missing packages were sent without tracking and were under suspect circumstances, meaning I am not sure the other person was being entirely straight forward with me.

The only packages I have had damaged were the ones that were not packaged properly (either by me early on while I was still learning, or by someone else shipping to me).

I would without a doubt or a hesitation trust shipping a package, if properly packaged and shipped.

Registered mail for sure...it may be a little slower,but it's signed for by everyperson that touches it.I just sent a package Insured for $22,000,took 9 days to get to Cali from Fl..but got there,and i had no worries,full value was insured.

3 slabs made it nice and safe in an old CGC box i had recieved books from CGC in...just adding my 2c

Yes, the limit is $25k, and registered takes so long because of the signing deal. Those only make one move from place to place each day, and have more limited times and methods of travel. A Priority Mail box can be used for those, but the delivery time will be the same as a 1st class rate. So don't pay extra for a Priority rate for a heavy box, if you can use an unmarked box and use 1st class. Sometimes the prices are similar, I don't know those details. I sent a registered PM parcel to TX that took six days, that's typical.

The insurance rates for registered and Express Mail are cheaper than other classes of mail insurance. Over about $3000 or so Express Mail is cheaper in total than Priority Mail with the insurance. Those have limits of $5000 though. Regards,

I asked that about two weeks ago, as I'm soon to be sending quite a few myself.

FYI, the limit in 1976 or so was $400, I had to send back an ASM 1 to Canada that I paid Robert D Crestohl $500 for as Mint. He lied and I sent back the VGF he sent me. The PO up there delivered it without a signature, and he claimed he never got it. I filed for the insurance and after about 11 months I got $400 finally. That's when I started a "black list", and he was the first to go on it.

I asked that about two weeks ago, as I'm soon to be sending quite a few myself.

FYI, the limit in 1976 or so was $400, I had to send back an ASM 1 to Canada that I paid Robert D Crestohl $500 for as Mint. He lied and I sent back the VGF he sent me. The PO up there delivered it without a signature, and he claimed he never got it. I filed for the insurance and after about 11 months I got $400 finally. That's when I started a "black list", and he was the first to go on it.

:o

I kind of have the same issue.I cant fathom sending a comic like an AF #15(mine is not cgc graded)all the way from California to Florida and hope beyond all hope that it gets there without a hitch,I just don't trust the USPS enough. :eek:

Take it to a con where CGC is available for on site grading

I kind of have the same issue.I cant fathom sending a comic like an AF #15(mine is not cgc graded)all the way from California to Florida and hope beyond all hope that it gets there without a hitch,I just don't trust the USPS enough. :eek:

Will do chief (thumbs u

Will do chief (thumbs u

It is a shame that CGC doesn't do onsite grading at the San Diego con or Wondercon. Must be anti-left coast :makepoint:

Will do chief (thumbs u

It is a shame that CGC doesn't do onsite grading at the San Diego con or Wondercon. Must be anti-left coast :makepoint:

Maybe too much hassel to bring all the equipment out there (although they do it for Chicago).

Will do chief (thumbs u

Maybe too much hassel to bring all the equipment out there (although they do it for Chicago).

2 years ago in Chicago their slabbing machine broke down and they had to get a second crew to drive a machine out from Florida during the con.

Slabbing on site is a really big undertaking!

You can't read them after they are graded and my collection is 100% for reading so grading isn't something I am interested in. Since you are obviously hesitant to get them graded I say don't grade them and use the money you save to buy more comics.

If you own any CGC books, use them as grading templates.

I'm not picking on you, but having deslabbed well over a hundred HG books, I can tell you I found little of what I would call 'consistency' in the grading process. So not sure this would work all that well - there are just too many examples of gift grades and undergrades. Additionally, you are never sure what flaws a book has until you deslab, as the the slab itself hides a lot of damage.

No worries - I'm not feeling picked on. :grin: I'd say there is enough consistency to generalize a 9.2 from a 9.6, for example. You should be able to get a feel for grade, and what/how many defects are allowed in a given range.

One or two problems that I've encounterd. Sometimes CGC is all over the map on grading; ultimately grading is subjective. However, I do agree that you should get a feel for their standards by comparing, for example, a 6.5 with a 7.0. Also on a personal note, I had a book pregraded at a local show in Orange County. The grader claimed it was a 5.0 to 5.5. And the book came back a 7.0. Of course, I'm not complaining, but I wouldln't think an expert grader could be so far off the mark. The book in question was "It's Game Time 1" a very rare book in that grade. Anyway, just some thoughts!

SLR

The grader claimed it was a 5.0 to 5.5. And the book came back a 7.0. Of course, I'm not complaining, but I wouldln't think an expert grader could be so far off the mark. The book in question was "It's Game Time 1" a very rare book in that grade. Anyway, just some thoughts!

SLR

Very difficult to grade many books properly at a show vs. in a grading room. Lighting is different. I buy 1000's of books at shows and when I bring them home to inspect them under a light that I am comfortable with, many books look completely different. Some better, and some worse.