• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Im terrified to submit books for grading.

62 posts in this topic

I am unable to bring myself to do so for the following nagging doubts in my head...

1. The cost is prohibitive. Is it worth it to send them in?

2. I question my own grading skills. I can get in the ballpark but do I know enough to realize the potential of a given book?

3. If I decide to not have the book graded...am i making the right decision then as well? Is it something I SHOULD have graded?

How do you decide to send a book in or leave it raw?

I am unable to bring myself to do so for the following nagging doubts in my head...

2. I question my own grading skills. I can get in the ballpark but do I know enough to realize the potential of a given book?

3. If I decide to not have the book graded...am i making the right decision then as well? Is it something I SHOULD have graded?

Really??? Are you that bored? lol

Well if you are seriously starting this thread lets hope its for the benefit of the noobs

1. If it's a key or a book that has value then yes

2. That's something you can only do by submitting books. If you are talking about "realizing the potential" of a book I can't help you...send it to joeypost or Matt Nelson

3. Call the Psychic network on this one :shrug:

For the last question ask greggy :frown:

See if you can't find a local comic shop that does it if you do it as a group it can cost a lot less you can also get a second opinion about the grades from your lcs owner if he knows anything about grading ... Which one would assume he does if he is submitting books ...

You can also prescreen books so all it costs you is the prescreen cost plus the ship

I'll bite.

If you have a significant number of books, use the prescreen service.

If you own any CGC books, use them as grading templates.

Whether to slab is a question of liquidity and value after grading. i.e. don't bother, in the majority of cases, to get modern 9.4s slabbed.

Really??? Are you that bored? lol

Well if you are seriously starting this thread lets hope its for the benefit of the noobs

1. If it's a key or a book that has value then yes

2. That's something you can only do by submitting books. If you are talking about "realizing the potential" of a book I can't help you...send it to joeypost or Matt Nelson

3. Call the Psychic network on this one :shrug:

For the last question ask greggy :frown:

Yeah...I'm bored.

See if you can't find a local comic shop that does it if you do it as a group it can cost a lot less you can also get a second opinion about the grades from your lcs owner if he knows anything about grading ... Which one would assume he does if he is submitting books ...

That's a mighty big assumption - my personal experience is the exact opposite: most owners of comic book stores are terrible graders.

You can also prescreen books so all it costs you is the prescreen cost plus the ship

For a CGC pre-screen you need to submit a minimum of 50 books and specify a pre-screen grade - if a book passes that grade, it gets slabbed & you pay the full slabbing fee as normal. If it doesn't, they charge you a "fail" fee and send the book back un-slabbed. For the books that fail the pre-screen, CGC doesn't tell you what their grade is - all you know is that they would have graded lower than whatever you set the pre-screen at.

There is no pre-screen cost - if a book passes the pre-screen, you don't pay anything other than the regular slabbing fee.

You? Really? Wouldn't have believed it.

But here's the best advice i can give you: pre-screen is your friend. If you need to team up with someone else, do it. The peace of mind if gives is huge (unless they keep raising the reject fee...which defeats the purpose of a pre-screen.)

lol

lol lol

lol lol lol

:roflmao:

There are few more unreliable groups of "graders" on the planet than "local comic store owners."

It seems one of the requirements of getting a business license to open up a store is the ability to radically overgrade everything you're selling, and radically undergrade everything you're buying.

Bedrock excepted, natch....

;)

lol

lol lol

lol lol lol

:roflmao:

There are few more unreliable groups of "graders" on the planet than "local comic store owners."

It seems one of the requirements of getting a business license to open up a store is the ability to radically overgrade everything you're selling, and radically undergrade everything you're buying.

Bedrock excepted, natch....

;)

Bob informed............. :devil:

I kind of have the same issue.I cant fathom sending a comic like an AF #15(mine is not cgc graded)all the way from California to Florida and hope beyond all hope that it gets there without a hitch,I just don't trust the USPS enough. :eek:

That's a mighty big assumption - my personal experience is the exact opposite: most owners of comic book stores are terrible graders.

For a CGC pre-screen you need to submit a minimum of 50 books and specify a pre-screen grade - if a book passes that grade, it gets slabbed & you pay the full slabbing fee as normal. If it doesn't, they charge you a "fail" fee and send the book back un-slabbed. For the books that fail the pre-screen, CGC doesn't tell you what their grade is - all you know is that they would have graded lower than whatever you set the pre-screen at.

There is no pre-screen cost - if a book passes the pre-screen, you don't pay anything other than the regular slabbing fee.

I see good information... I thought I read someplace it was $3 as well is that true ?

I'm not picking on you, but having deslabbed well over a hundred HG books, I can tell you I found little of what I would call 'consistency' in the grading process. So not sure this would work all that well - there are just too many examples of gift grades and undergrades. Additionally, you are never sure what flaws a book has until you deslab, as the the slab itself hides a lot of damage.

I have never sent one in myself for many of the same reason you point out. I do, however, wait for local shows where CGC comes to town where I can submit and have items pre-graded (by someone) on the same day.

I see good information... I thought I read someplace it was $3 as well is that true ?

Matt Nelson Classics Incorporated does pre-screen for $3 bucks. Most people here will attest it is quite a reliable service...he'll quote you estimated CGC grade for "as-is" and if pressed...pressing is $35 bucks I believe...

Assuming you have a coupon, you could send in 3 books for "free" and use that as a tester to see how accurately you've graded the books...

Good luck... :wishluck:

I'm not picking on you, but having deslabbed well over a hundred HG books, I can tell you I found little of what I would call 'consistency' in the grading process. So not sure this would work all that well - there are just too many examples of gift grades and undergrades. Additionally, you are never sure what flaws a book has until you deslab, as the the slab itself hides a lot of damage.

No worries - I'm not feeling picked on. :grin: I'd say there is enough consistency to generalize a 9.2 from a 9.6, for example. You should be able to get a feel for grade, and what/how many defects are allowed in a given range.