• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Spangled War Dinosaurs -- incl 92 & 134 Adams CHEAP LAST CHANCE

16 posts in this topic

Time to clear out another old collection to free up money for new upgrades. Today we have a nice little lower grade group of Star Spangled War Stories dinosaur books. I started collecting these mainly because I love the covers, but have realized that I am not going to have the money in the near term to complete the run.

Covers all attached at both staples, centerfolds are too unless specifically mentioned. Page quality on a lot of these books is quite nice, bordering on white pages on several.

Usual forum rules apply. :takeit: wins over PMs with similar timestamps. I'm glad to negotiate package deals, but my opening prices are quite fair based on what I paid for these books individually and the latest OPG.

I will accept Paypal, and prefer personal payments to avoid fees. Checks or MOs are also ok, checks will need to clear before books ship.

Priority shipping is $7.50 in the US in a BOX regardless of how many books you win (if you buy them all shipping is FREE). If you want cheaper shipping in the US (media mail, etc) that can be worked out. Buyers outside the US will pay whatever it costs to ship the books to them. Returns accepted if you are not satisfied for any reason. Buyer responsible for return shipping, and of course original books must be returned in original condition and match my scans.

All the books are listed now, so feel free to make offers on individual books, package deals, or even the entire group! I think my prices are fair, but any price can be seen as just the starting point of negotiations. I won't laugh or get mad, so feel free to send any offers via PM.

Group price! Individual asking price is $196 for all 14 books, take them all for $99 shipped. WAY below guide prices!

First up is an attractive G 2.0 copy of SSWS #92, which is the second dinosaur issue. Book is flat and well-centered, PQ is nice. Main issue is a tear at the bottom edge to the right of the "Two-part blockbuster" box. No pieces are missing except for a couple of small edge chips. Presents just fine for a low grade book. Latest Overstreet has this one at $22 in 2.0, I'll start this book at $17.

SSWS92.jpg

SSWS92bc.jpg

SSWS #113, great pterodactyl cover. Nice 3.5-4.0 copy with some spine wear and a bit of light creasing. Book lays flat and cover is well centered. 2" crease on back cover. Latest Overstreet has this book at $30 in VG, I am asking $15.

SSWS113.jpg

SSWS113bc.jpg

SSWS #119. Book has the eye appeal of a 6.0 at first glance, but a few minor defects knock it down to a technical 4.0-4.5. Small half-dime sized stain at upper staple of unknown origin. Stain did not transfer to pages at all and staple looks unaffected. Bumped spine corners. Light edge wear, and a couple of super light creases in lower right corner of fc. Book is completely flat and cover is well centered. Pretty copy, especially for the money. Overstreet has this book at $26 in VG 4.0, and I think it is worth every bit of $20.

SSWS119.jpg

SSWS119bc.jpg

SSWS #120. Nice 4.0 copy with decent eye appeal. Tiny bit of rust with tiny bit of migration on top hole of bottom staple. Otherwise a pretty normal VG. Page quality is fantastic on this book, but centerfold is detached. Other than being detached, CF is present and otherwise complete. Guide is $26 in 4.0. I'd like to get $15.

SSWS120.jpg

SSWS120bc.jpg

SSWS #122 about G/VG 3.0. Some spine stress that is heavy at times. Book lays flat and cover is well centered. Just light creasing and overall wear on this book. Overstreet is at $13 in 2.0 and $26 in 4.0, and I would like $10 for this copy.

SSWS122.jpg

SSWS122bc.jpg

SSWS #124, looks 5.0+ from the front but is a better ~3.0 on technical grounds. Bit of a bug chew right above the comics code stamp, very light crease in lower right fc, light spine stress. Centerfold detached and present in good shape. Back cover has some moisture issues, and some of the back pages are a bit stiff but otherwise just fine and even still reasonably off-white. Some sort of moisture damage to top of back cover visible in scan that does not affect the interior. It's a shame the back cover is a bit problematic because the front cover is pretty. OPG has this one at $13 in 2.0 and $26 in 4.0, and because of the back cover business I would be happy to take $7.00.

SSWS124.jpg

SSWS124bc.jpg

SSWS #128 about 3.0. One of my favorite covers in the series. Spine wear with some light creasing, but nothing ugly. Centerfold is detached at lower staple only, firmly attached at upper staple. Some light humidity staining around edges of some pages and inside covers, but page quality is still just fine. $13 in G 2.0 Overstreet, and I would take $10.

SSWS128.jpg

SSWS128bc.jpg

SSWS #131 in G 2.0. This is the roughest of my SSWS books. A bit better than your typical "beat but complete" book. Slight spine roll but book is mostly flat. Heavy spine wear and creasing. Overstreet 2.0 is $13, and will take $5.00 or can also throw it in as a freebie with any other dinosaur book purchased if you ask for it.

SSWS131.jpg

SSWS131bc.jpg

SSWS #134 with Neal Adams artwork. This is a pretty book with beautiful centering and color. I grade this book conservatively as a 5.0, and it may make a 5.5/6.0 on a good day. Main defects are a bit of spine stress, a soft lower right corner of the fc, and a few minor edge creases (you can see the worst one at the bottom edge about 2 inches right of the spine). Very attractive copy. Overstreet has this book at $30 in 4.0 and $45 in 6.0, and I am asking $30 for this one.

SSWS134.jpg

SSWS134bc.jpg

SSWS #135 in about 5.0 that looks like 7.0. Would be higher if not for a light, non-color breaking 2 inch bend/crease in the lower right corner of the fc that doesn't show up on the scan. Pretty copy. Overstreet has it at $26 in 4.0 and $39 in 6.0, and I am asking $22.

SSWS135.jpg

SSWS135bc.jpg

SSWS #136 in about G 2.0-2.5. The scan tells the story. Plenty of spine wear and business in both right corners. But book has nice color and lays flat. You could do a lot worse for a reader. Overstreet is at $13 in 2.0, and I am asking $10.

SSWS136.jpg

SSWS136bc.jpg

SSWS #137 -- last dinosaur book in the run. This copy presents well but falls into the technical grade of 2.0-2.5 due to a 1 inch spine split at the bottom spine and a small piece out of the lower left corner of the fc. Cover and centerfold are both well-attached at both staples. Only other defects of note are some minor light creasing and spine wear. Overstreet is $13 in 2.0, I am asking $10.

SSWS137.jpg

SSWS137bc.jpg