• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's get some things straight...

181 posts in this topic

This can more or less be proven with the census numbers. All of the following books have lower census numbers (in some cases much lower numbers) than their surrounding books.

Black covered books may be less pressable; consequently, lighter colored covers may have inflated census numbers. So whether ASM 26 is actually more naturally common in UHG than ASM #28 cannot be accurately determined based on the census alone.

Also, many of the books you mentioned are key-ish, which may be why they get more recognition for being scarce. When it comes to early SA, for every "dark" cover that's unusually difficult to find in HG, I can probably find you a light-colored equivalent in the same era (like TOS 40).

The tough black cover thing has been around for decades, much longer than the proliferation of pressing. That argument is tantamount to saying that man's obsession with breasts was caused by the implant industry.

This can more or less be proven with the census numbers. All of the following books have lower census numbers (in some cases much lower numbers) than their surrounding books.

Black covered books may be less pressable; consequently, lighter colored covers may have inflated census numbers. So whether ASM 26 is actually more naturally common in UHG than ASM #28 cannot be accurately determined based on the census alone.

Also, many of the books you mentioned are key-ish, which may be why they get more recognition for being scarce. When it comes to early SA, for every "dark" cover that's unusually difficult to find in HG, I can probably find you a light-colored equivalent in the same era (like TOS 40).

I think black ink also has a very different feel. I tend to think "crumble" every time I think about it, although it could just be mental illusion.

As far as pressing/grading/census, maybe someone can comment on availability of black covers before CGC grading started.

As far as light colored books, those like TTA #35, TOS #40 are definitely tough books but because they smudge easy.

(shrug)

Also, I seem to remember that second appearances are also usually tough books to find compared to first appearances.

The tough black cover thing has been around for decades, much longer than the proliferation of pressing. That argument is tantamount to saying that man's obsession with breasts was caused by the implant industry.

No it's not. I'm not saying that the black cover argument is the result of the census; I'm just telling Roy that because of the press/resub game, the census isn't good enough on its own to substantiate the claim.

If this black cover thing is actually a "myth", it could very well have started because of what was stated earlier - that the same set of defects on a black cover often look worse than they do on a lighter colored book, or a book with a "busier" cover. People seem to confuse the technical grade of a book with its overall appearance.

Overvalued/undervalued - a book is over- or under-valued when someone is making an educated prediction that it will rise or fall over some period of time. It's the entire nature of speculative purchase or sale for profit purposes when buying or selling at or near market prices.

Black/dark covers are rarer in HG - black ink flakes easier...we've discussed this multiple times in the past.

Investment grade - a comic in a grade that has historically appreciated at a rate of return comparable to traditional investments such as bank accounts, CDs, or funds.

People misusing the other terms you mentioned or the ones above is just gonna happen. (shrug)

Oh, and 10,000 posts after nearly 8 years. My mother would be proud.

Funny, that's about the same pace I'm on. meh

I can't even reach that pace...and I've been on the boards every single day for well over 8 years :cry:

3) Selling a book using the "factor of potentialization" - If the seller has a NM- raw or slabbed book that "with a pressing will reach a much higher grade", then asking the higher grade price. To me this sucks because if I only want a VF/NM or NM- book, why should I have to pay a NM / NM+ price based upon speculation of a grade increase? It's not even guaranteed it would grade higher anyways.

----------------------------------------

A home that could have a legal basement apartment (even if one has not been set up yet) is going to be worth a premium over the one next door that cannot. It's based on potential. A kid who throws 100 is going to get a better signing bonus than the kid who throws 90, assuming everything else is equal, based on potential. The kid who throws 90 might be the next Greg Maddux and the kid who throws 100 might be the next Brien Taylor. It ain't just comics.

I dunno though, a subtle 4 inch long non-color breaking "indentation" or supple "bend" really can get pressed out and raise an otherwise perfect book from a VF or worse to a NM or better. Other stuff is a lot less guaranteed. While the tecnhical grade is the same, the pressable book (if press-worthy) really should be "worth"a premium over on with defects that can't be pressed out, especially if we're talking about a book where the VF to NM spread is real money.

Then let the seller press it, sub it, and then sell it for the grade it gets.

I can't even reach that pace...and I've been on the boards every single day for well over 8 years :cry:

You're selling yourself short. 59 days is not "well over"...lol

:foryou:

I could reply with a witticism but that would throw my average weekly post count out of whack. :(

You're selling yourself short. 59 days is not "well over"...lol

:foryou:

I could reply with a witticism but that would throw my average weekly post count out of whack. :(

Of course we wouldn't want to do that.

Overvalued/undervalued - a book is over- or under-valued when someone is making an educated prediction that it will rise or fall over some period of time. It's the entire nature of speculative purchase or sale for profit purposes when buying or selling at or near market prices.

Speculating is fine, but you can't claim something is overvalued or undervalued on the current market. It's current value is based on what people are willing to pay, currently. Again, the term is grossly misused

Black/dark covers are rarer in HG - black ink flakes easier...we've discussed this multiple times in the past.

So are you and Roy BFFs now?

Investment grade - a comic in a grade that has historically appreciated at a rate of return comparable to traditional investments such as bank accounts, CDs, or funds.

Yes, but your rate of return is contingent upon what you paid, not what grade the book is in. The term "Investment grade" does not encapsulate this. "Investment grade" seems to imply that a book will perform well as an investment if it's above a certain grade threshold. Your FF 52 in 9.6 will give you a better rate of return than an FF 52 9.6 I may purchase, because you stole yours. The fact that it's a 9.6 is irrelevant.

Speculating is fine, but you can't claim something is overvalued or undervalued on the current market. It's current value is based on what people are willing to pay, currently. Again, the term is grossly misused

Yes, I think what people mean to say is a book is underappreciated or over hyped.

Black/Darker Covers are usually tougher to find in a HG.

Try finding me an Avengers #103 in HG for just one example.

oh yea....... Comic books are a Commodity. lol

Where Doc Watson when I need him. :sumo:

Speculating is fine, but you can't claim something is overvalued or undervalued on the current market.

If you have reason to believe something's about to go up or down in the near future, you can claim exactly that.

So are you and Roy BFFs now?

Coincidence...the discussions I participated in preceed his join date. I wasn't the one sharing expert opinions, nor do I remember the specifics well without searching other than black ink flakes more easily. Searching will yield more info.

Yes, but your rate of return is contingent upon what you paid, not what grade the book is in.

What they're meaning to imply is that lower grades don't appreciate as much as higher ones do. Given that I just saw you post that a mid-grade Spidey in 2000 is worth right about what a mid-grade Spidey sells for today in that Silver Age forum thread, I'm confused, because that thread leads me to believe we agree that annual appreciation on lower-graded books typically doesn't match the appreciation on higher-graded books...it's like I'm talking to two different guys with the same user ID. :insane: