• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

St. Mark's Comics Stinks

12 posts in this topic

Following on the heals of the letters from CBG, let me just state for all the world to know how horrible a comic shop St. Mark's Comics is on St. Mark's between 2nd and 3rd Aves in Manhattan, NYC, NY.

In the latest of my adventures there, I specifically asked for some modern boards (100 cost $7.50. I usually buy 1000 for $45 plus $17 shipping from "clemonster" on ebay, but I need those boards today).

I get home and viola!! Turns out I have Silver Age boards! So I trek to St. Marks again asking for a refund and I am promtly told by the same peon that sold me the boards that the owner is the only one who can give me an exchange! Furthermore, they don't have any modern boards in stock! Needless to say I am fuming.

If you're still reading allow me to relate another story - I was in there one day for their 1/2 off back issues sale and was picking through a few Hulks in the 200-240 range. There was absolutely no ryme or reason to the pricing. I was looking at books in VF/NM (as there is no such thing as even NM- in that store) that went for $3 and then there were books in solid VG that were going for $5. No we all know that nothing at all spectacular happened in Hulk from 200-240, so why the discrepancy? I called the employee on it and he told me that prices were as is and that I could take it or leave it. I gently tried to point out to him that I didn't understand his rationale. He then made the retort that if he didn't like those prices, he would be happy to update them to the latest overstreet. I told him bring it on if it would reflect condition as well. He then reiterated that prices were as is and that I could take it or leave it. Never have I dealt with such unprofessionalism, especially in Manhattan where I can name literally 10 stores off the top of my head.

Whew, thanks for letting me vent. I feel a little better now.

Makes you want to go back for more huh? Especially when you can sit at your computer and get better books for much less. I purchased a lot of Incredible Hulk issues a few months ago (most were VF+) from a gentleman out of Canada at about .60 cents an issue, and it included # 340 in VF-NM condition! I won't tell you what I paid for the same issue in a shop 9 years ago, but let's just say it was a "hot" book.

I wasn't even looking for THE BEST deal, I was looking for a FAIR deal! With my 2002 Overstreet in hand, 201-220 is $6, 221-249 is $5 in 9.4!! Can you imagine paying above guide for that stuff!

Speaking of the IH 340, I ended up buying a lot of 300-377 complete advertized in strict NM, let me tell you, try a solid fine. Live and learn, huh?

Ebay really is the best for back issues, but I would just reiterate beware of those NM+ sellers out there . . .

DAM

Years ago when I visited comic shops, the owner of the largest shop in town was such an @$$, that I ended up going to a smaller shop where I could purchase books without being insulted.

If I were you, I would purchase comic supplies from E.Gerber Archival Comic Supplies The time saved in re-bagging thousands of comics every 3-5 years alone makes it worth the money. If you want to read a good article about comic book preservation and why Mylar D is preferred over cheap poly bags that are common in comic shops then CLICK HERE

P.S. - I use 1 Mil Mylar (the cheapest) with half-backs (the cheapest). For my Bronze/Modern books I purchase Mylar in Silver Age size. One of the advatages is you can handle the mylar/board by the edge without touching the book. There are a couple of other advatages that I can think of, but I'm too lazy to explain them right now.

No we all know that nothing at all spectacular happened in Hulk from 200-240,

Are you kidding me!?!? The return of Trimpe (yuck!), the "hidden" Star Trek cover, The Constrictor, The Jack of Hearts, the return of the Bi-beast, "No Man is an Island", the list just goes on and on... wink.gif

I've been to that store quite a few times, I usually just browse though. First off, how the hell did you manage to check out their back issues? There's no space at all to move back there! That room is a fire trap. Most of the clowns that work at these comic shops are there just to collect a paycheck.

I once was visiting Jim Hansley's Universe by the Empire State Building, when I commited the cardinal sin of requesting to see a Silver Age Spidey they had hanging on the wall. The guy basically said "This is just a color photo copy of the book, the real book is in a vault so you don't try to steal it."

Oh, and he also said that the book was in mint condition! confused.gifmad.giftongue.gif

Funny stories about both St. Mark's and Jim Hanley's. St. Mark's really is just a fire trap! That whole place should be shut down!

Usually in NYC, I will go to the Time Machine on 14th and 7th, Cosmic Comics on 23rd adn 5th or Midtown on 40th and 7th.

Speaking of the IH 340, I ended up buying a lot of 300-377 complete advertized in strict NM, let me tell you, try a solid fine. Live and learn, huh?

You want to see a NM Hulk 340 and still need one, lmk...I'll send you one FREE. Merry XMas, Dave!

PM me if you want it.

Funny stories about both St. Mark's and Jim Hanley's. St. Mark's really is just a fire trap! That whole place should be shut down!

Dave,

I grew up where Juan did in Queens and I have stories too about comics shops. I went to HS in Manhattan and I believe my rival school was down by St. Marks...I wanted to go in and check it out once when I was with my girlfriend at the time. She absolutely refused to be caught dead in there or any comic shop for that matter...let's just say she is an ex-girfriend. tongue.gif

In the city, isn't there a Forbidden Planet still? I went there and I want to check out the Big Apple comics store too next time I'm in town (12/24 X-mas eve...) I actually like Jim Hanley's but I go to the one on Staten Island by New Dork...um Dorp HS. That one actually lets you check out the Hi grade silver and bronze key back issues BUT the big problem is how they display them. They hang them in such a way that I believe warps them even with a backing board. Their rack copies are great for just reading - no slabbing potential there. And the customer service is ok - teeny boppers that can do their job but not really knowledgeable when it comes to grading or comic history. One even told me how cool Dark Hawk was...it goes to show you - everyone has their own Golden Age...yeesh. Hanging there were mostly skater thugs/goth chicks that you find in Hot Topix at the mall transplanted to that branch.

Queens actually has/had some characters that sold comics. Ask Juan about our mutual supplier that were classic epitome of laziness and rude customer service. If you were a child, forget it - they did't want to cater to you and they chain smoked all day long, ashing on the subscription pull boxes. they were a couple - could have been a WWF tag team outweighing the Samoans at a combined weight of about 750 lbs!!! I was afraid they would one day have a hankering for the taste of a 10 yr old Asian boy...

I would love to check out Time Machine and Cosmic Comics. I was mostly on the Upper east side by the Met - do you recommend any shops up there?

Darth, thanks for that great post! I grew up in Long Island and used to frequent a Creations Comic Shop in Floral Park and a Grasshopper Comic Shop in Williston Park. Grasshopper is a great store, and is still around, Creations closed down.

I actually typed in a bunch of random Manhattan zip codes into the comic book store locator on DCcomics.com and did a little tour of the Manhattan comic book shops with my roommate. In my humble opinion, here's the best of the best:

General Stores:

1 - Midtown Comics (40th and 7th)

Clean, well lit, good stock of some recent back issues and plenty of current books. Best part: 20% off with free midtown membership. I remember going to see Frank Miller sign DK2 in August at midtown and it was truly a religious experience. Darth, you might appreciate this being from Manhattan, but the sight of comic fans across an entire city block waiting for Frank to sign his or her book is truly something.

2 - Cosmic Comics (23rd and 5th)

Similar to midtown but more bronze / silver back issues also has the key 20% off discount for new books. Darth, if you are going to be in the city on the 25th, Cosmic Comics actually has a 50% off sale where new comics and back issues are 50% off, tpbs and other is 30%. Even books right off the shelves, 50% off. Nothing worthy of slabbing there, but . . .

3 - Gotham Comics (62nd and Lex)

This was the only place in Manhattan that had enough Bats 608 and still sold at cover. Midtown jacked it up to $5 a copy, but I was able to get 4 copies at cover from these guys. They have a deal where for $20 cash, you can get 20% off cash on all new comics and "binned" back issues.

Trade Paper Backs:

Village Comics (Sullivan St. just south of Washington Square Park)

This place is hands down the best for trades. They have 25% off TPBs, with 3 or more at 50% except for "new" TPBs.

Back Issue:

Time Machine (14th and 7th)

This place is the best hands down for those books pre 1995. They have a few from the post modern era, but these guys have ridiculous amounts of silver and bronze age books. Not the highest grade books, but if you are looking for a few to complete the collection these guys are great. They price by guide by overstreet (the way it should be done) and will give generous discounts, even up to 50% off. I just bought a beautiful ASM 39 in around an 8.0, maybe an 8.5, a ASM 101 in I would say no less than a 9.0 and an ASM 102 in 7.5 with 30 free random Ghost comics for $250. Talk about making me a customer!

Forbidden Planet is still alive and kicking on 13th and Broadway and has some great trades, comics, video games, busts, magic cards, etc. I like this place when I missed an issue over the last 6 months and want to pay cover. To my knowledge they don't have a 20% off club, which hurts : (

Regarding Upper East Side, I would refer you to Gotham Comics. There is a place called Alex's MVP Shop on 2nd and 88th or 89th, but that has very limited comics (maybe 2000 in the whole store) and focuses more on the sport cards.

Those would be my NYC recommendations and would love to hear some other opinions or comments.